29 replies to this topic

#1 Tradewinds

Tradewinds

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:35

Read this on another Forum, has anyone heard of these changes coming.

"Today, we had a great and interesting WOPD from the senior Chief (CW5) from the CAC.  What we expect to see in regards to WO accessions is that AFS will be bumped from 12 to 14 years for tech warrants.  The reasoning is because they want NCOs with more experience (possibly that has already completed SLC) to be selected for Warrants.   On the flip side, for aviators, no more than 8 years AFS will be the criteria for selection.  They want aviators to serve more time and that means a 8-year ADSO compared to a 6-year ADSO for technical warrants.  Also, aviators will expect to serve three years as a WO1 compared to the current two years across the board (tech two-year from WO1 to CW2 will remain the same).  Why?  Because their WOBC is 18 months compared to every other WOMOS and they want a certain amount of flight hours before reaching CW2.  Currently, some are promoted to CW2 with just 70 flight hours logged."

• XRumerTest and TeoerryNug like this

#2 Creep0321

Creep0321

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:12

Interesting.

Swift, Silent, Deadly.

#3 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Freedom & 'Merica
  • Company working for:Prior USMC Infantry, Law Student

Posted 19 July 2017 - 13:08

I wonder if the 8 year SO would apply to guard as well.

Mike

#4 mdeneso

mdeneso

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 13:24

A warrant officer I work with was telling me about these changes as well. Your statement lines right up with what he had said to me.

#5 Cubicle2Cockpit

Cubicle2Cockpit

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 14:54

I interviewed a CW5 at fort Rucker who is charge of the program or at least part of it, and he said these same things to me. His reasoning for the SO extension was "you're just finally starting to get proficient with your job as an aviator at 6 years so it doesn't make any sense to just have a six year contract." I definitely understand where he's coming from. He didn't say when these changes would take affect though.

#6 Luofynerd

Luofynerd

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Company working for:U.S. ARMY- AH-64D/E Technical Inspector

Posted 19 July 2017 - 15:20

I've given almost 8 enlisted so I was planning to give them at least 12 more lol

#7 zaurus

zaurus

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 16:06

Navy, USCG, & Marines ADSO for flight school is 8 years upon graduation. USAF is 10 years after receiving your wings. The Army can raise it to 10 years and they will still have people lined up outside the door for flight training.

AF is thinking in going to 15 years. They are in need of fighter pilots especially. Anyone interested in flying a F-35, F-22, F-16, F-15, or A-10.  

#8 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Freedom & 'Merica
  • Company working for:Prior USMC Infantry, Law Student

Posted 19 July 2017 - 16:33

I've given almost 8 enlisted so I was planning to give them at least 12 more lol

Ditto on the part-time side for me.

Mike

#9 akscott60

akscott60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Firearms, and Freedom.
  • Company working for:CH47F Instructor Pilot.

Posted 19 July 2017 - 16:43

They are extending it to 8 because Envoy and a few other airlines are directly poaching any pilots with options. The Army hates soldiers that have options. 

• SBuzzkill, zaurus, Cantankerously and 3 others like this

#10 flanker

flanker

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 22:05

So this is for new guys coming in? 

#11 Slayydro

Slayydro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 23:12

Does anyone know when these changes are expected to take place?

#12 akscott60

akscott60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Firearms, and Freedom.
  • Company working for:CH47F Instructor Pilot.

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:33

Hopefully they just don't arbitrarily rewrite contracts already in place. But that wouldn't surprise me.

#13 Creep0321

Creep0321

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 15:28

From what I was told leaving rucker, it would only affect newly appointed WO1 after the fiscal year... but again who knows.

Swift, Silent, Deadly.

#14 zack.colorado

zack.colorado

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 16:27

Tradewinds, what forum was this originally posted on?

#15 dovq2011

dovq2011

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, backpacking, cigars, bourbon

Posted 20 July 2017 - 16:27

From what I was told leaving rucker, it would only affect newly appointed WO1 after the fiscal year... but again who knows.

I hate you.

#16 Tradewinds

Tradewinds

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 17:00

Tradewinds, what forum was this originally posted on?

It was a post from a WO3 on GoArmy.com

#17 flanker

flanker

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 20:21

oh dodged that bullet

#18 METT-TC

METT-TC

ATP Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Retired Army...jeeps, running, peakbagging (hiking), and a bit of flying

Posted 20 July 2017 - 21:54

Once your ADSO begins, you will be grandfathered. It has always worked that way. If your enlistment contract that you signed to go to WOC included ADSO terms, they'll be honored as long as you are IN the pipeline. If you have signed a contract, but haven't started, you should still be good. Should being operative.

As for promotion timelines to CW2, etc, those go into effect whenever the MILPER states (no grandfather of jack).

#19 DOL_RLTW

DOL_RLTW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:15

"On the flip side, for aviators, no more than 8 years AFS will be the criteria for selection.  They want aviators to serve more time and that means a 8-year ADSO compared to a 6-year ADSO for technical warrants."

Anyone "in the know" have an idea of when this will go into effect?  I'm at 10 years AFS now and had plans to drop my flight packet nearing my 12 years AFS due to unit obligations.  I imagine there will still be waiver options but pushing 4 years past the maximum is stretching it.

#20 WOFT applicant

WOFT applicant

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:10

I'm at MEPS for contract signing and swearing in, and I'm being told that I cannot have listed on my contract the ADSO I will incure upon flight school graduation. I was told that the initial contract is for 3 years, and that's all that the contract says about ADSO. Is this correct? The reservation document that lists my Basic and WOCS dates does state 72 months of obligation after flight school, but I'm concerned that if it's not in the contract itself, I won't be grandfathered if the obligation changes to 8 years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (3)

Midwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016MaunaLoaVRHome200Helmet FX Home 200HeliHelmets-VR HomePrecisionVRForumHome200Able_VRHOme200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200Genesys VR Forum 200DevoreHome200NFCVRForum200Home