Changes for Warrant Officers

Read this on another Forum, has anyone heard of these changes coming.

"Today, we had a great and interesting WOPD from the senior Chief (CW5) from the CAC. What we expect to see in regards to WO accessions is that AFS will be bumped from 12 to 14 years for tech warrants. The reasoning is because they want NCOs with more experience (possibly that has already completed SLC) to be selected for Warrants. On the flip side, for aviators, no more than 8 years AFS will be the criteria for selection. They want aviators to serve more time and that means a 8-year ADSO compared to a 6-year ADSO for technical warrants. Also, aviators will expect to serve three years as a WO1 compared to the current two years across the board (tech two-year from WO1 to CW2 will remain the same). Why? Because their WOBC is 18 months compared to every other WOMOS and they want a certain amount of flight hours before reaching CW2. Currently, some are promoted to CW2 with just 70 flight hours logged."

• Like 2

I interviewed a CW5 at fort Rucker who is charge of the program or at least part of it, and he said these same things to me. His reasoning for the SO extension was "you're just finally starting to get proficient with your job as an aviator at 6 years so it doesn't make any sense to just have a six year contract." I definitely understand where he's coming from. He didn't say when these changes would take affect though.

Navy, USCG, & Marines ADSO for flight school is 8 years upon graduation. USAF is 10 years after receiving your wings. The Army can raise it to 10 years and they will still have people lined up outside the door for flight training.

AF is thinking in going to 15 years. They are in need of fighter pilots especially. Anyone interested in flying a F-35, F-22, F-16, F-15, or A-10.

Once your ADSO begins, you will be grandfathered. It has always worked that way. If your enlistment contract that you signed to go to WOC included ADSO terms, they'll be honored as long as you are IN the pipeline. If you have signed a contract, but haven't started, you should still be good. Should being operative.

As for promotion timelines to CW2, etc, those go into effect whenever the MILPER states (no grandfather of jack).

"On the flip side, for aviators, no more than 8 years AFS will be the criteria for selection. They want aviators to serve more time and that means a 8-year ADSO compared to a 6-year ADSO for technical warrants."

Anyone "in the know" have an idea of when this will go into effect? I'm at 10 years AFS now and had plans to drop my flight packet nearing my 12 years AFS due to unit obligations. I imagine there will still be waiver options but pushing 4 years past the maximum is stretching it.

I'm at MEPS for contract signing and swearing in, and I'm being told that I cannot have listed on my contract the ADSO I will incure upon flight school graduation. I was told that the initial contract is for 3 years, and that's all that the contract says about ADSO. Is this correct? The reservation document that lists my Basic and WOCS dates does state 72 months of obligation after flight school, but I'm concerned that if it's not in the contract itself, I won't be grandfathered if the obligation changes to 8 years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Once your ADSO begins, you will be grandfathered. It has always worked that way. If your enlistment contract that you signed to go to WOC included ADSO terms, they'll be honored as long as you are IN the pipeline. If you have signed a contract, but haven't started, you should still be good. Should being operative.

As for promotion timelines to CW2, etc, those go into effect whenever the MILPER states (no grandfather of jack).

In that case, any idea when the promotion portion would kick in? hopefully after Oct 22.....

In that case, any idea when the promotion portion would kick in? hopefully after Oct 22.....

Not at all. ;) I think I have one friend currently working as an Avn branch manager, but not hitting him on FB to talk shop. But...

Keep an eye on the Branch HRC website, HRC's promotion page, or quite honestly, just get the S1 Net weekly update email that provides a very concise overview of just about everything "personnel" that could affect you (short blurbs with links to the official on MILPERS and ALARACT messages). I was never "S1", but I received the S1 Net emails for about the last 10 years of my active service (I stayed read in rather well no matter how far I was from the flagpole).

https://netforum.avectra.com/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=usawoa&WebCode=S1NET

I'm at MEPS for contract signing and swearing in, and I'm being told that I cannot have listed on my contract the ADSO I will incure upon flight school graduation. I was told that the initial contract is for 3 years, and that's all that the contract says about ADSO. Is this correct? The reservation document that lists my Basic and WOCS dates does state 72 months of obligation after flight school, but I'm concerned that if it's not in the contract itself, I won't be grandfathered if the obligation changes to 8 years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't beat yourself up over rumors, especially ones you can't really control. Unless of course you change your mind about joining the Army.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over rumors, especially ones you can't really control. Unless of course you change your mind about joining the Army.

Thanks for the sound advice. In researching this further, I learned that for an officer, ADSO is not contractual as much as it is something that is incurred due to various factors over the course of one's service. If the rules change, I'm told it is likely that the ADSO rule in place when I enlist will be what I am held to, though there can be no guarantee.