What schools are open to Warrant Aviators after they get to their unit?

I generally know that it looks better for your career to continue education once you're a WO, either via University or going to military schools.

What are your options for training programs? How do you deal with going to 3 month courses, while trying to remain current? Any really good courses that you'd advise everyone should do? Any courses that you'd have to sort of fight for to get?

Generally, currency isn't the issue for shorter things. Your minimums can be pro-rated. You may end up with a PFE for goggle currency. But I can say with some confidence that the only courses most care about is track producing schools and then other qualifications that enhance your track (Instrument examiner, OSHA qualifications and Intel or Computer-type stuff for the TACOPS guys).

Most of the military training courses are ancillary to what we do. MRT, CBRN and Supply are classes we HAVE to go to for our additional duties and not necessarily want to go to.

Civilian education is generally a good thing. If you don't have a degree, start working towards it a little at a time. It shows personal improvement.

As far as options, most will say, badge-producing schools are "good for your career." Though I have never seen the point in an aviator going to Ranger school or learning to jump out of aircraft..

My advice would be to continue your civilian education, become a proficient aviator and then seek out personalized training opportunities aligned with your track.

Just my two cents. . .

you guys are acting like fridge fund is a bad gig. If I get selected I'll probably show up to my unit with a fresh batch of honey buns, sodas, fatty cakes ready to assume the position.

• Like 1

you guys are acting like fridge fund is a bad gig. If I get selected I'll probably show up to my unit with a fresh batch of honey buns, sodas, fatty cakes ready to assume the position.

We got a nice little routine of pulled pork days, mac n cheese, and zebra cakes(for some reason people rave over them). Set up a square reader and you are really in the game.

• Like 3

We got a nice little routine of pulled pork days, mac n cheese, and zebra cakes(for some reason people rave over them). Set up a square reader and you are really in the game.

You have it plugged into a unit iPad or what?

• Like 1

You have it plugged into a unit iPad or what?

Wait. That's a thing now? That's how Girl Scouts (mostly their parents) started suckering more people into buying delicious Thin Mints.

Girl Scout: Would you like to buy some cookies?

Me: Oh, sorry, I don't have cash.

[random mother running up with iPad] Well we take card now!

Me [under breath]: sh*t...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Command dependent honestly. As mentioned above, they'll happily send your ass to a two-four week course so they can give you an additional duty someone else wants to get rid of.

I feel like you're referencing more like Ranger, Airborne, Air Assault, Pathfinder, etc.

You might be able to get Air Assault if you go to Campbell or beg for it when they do their "on site" Air Assault course. But those usually go to enlisted, and they fight tooth and nail for them. Pathfinder you might be able to sell, but it depends on the unit.

I know of zero warrants going to Ranger school, but I also know of zero that would ever want to. I have heard of some getting Airborne, but basically falling into it on accident or knowing someone who hooked them up.

If you show up to your unit and tell them you want to go to Airborne school they're going to laugh and give you your date and time for UMO/HAZMAT/SHARP/EO

Id just be prepared to never go to a badge producing course, but to become qualified in all sorts of menial classes.

Obvious exceptions being if you assess and are accepted into regiment or other high speed organizations.