WOFT question (Flight Physical/ Background check)

Good Afternoon,

This is my first post so I figure a brief introduction is in order, so here it goes. I am 32 and currently serving my 9th and last year in the Marine Corps Reserve. I am an E-5 and currently in the platoon sergeant billet which is two pay grades above me. I have been doing so for the past 2 years. I've also been a platoon commander for one summer during AT (last year with success). I went to college back in 2005 a year after high school and obtained my Private and Instrument rating. I have a total of 231.3 hours (fixed wing). I've always wanted a dual rating (fixed/ rotor). I've always wanted to become a military pilot.

So now that you know a little about me here goes my questions:

I am currently in the process of applying to the WOFT program. I'm in the beginning stages of it. I have to retake my ASVAB and take the SIFT (I'm studying for both every night). I feel like I have a shot at the program but there are two things that might disqualify me and I am curious if I should even continue to try and pray for the best or just give up hope and be a dreamer for the rest of my life.

Question 1:

I have 20/70 with a slight astigmatism in my left eye. I know the Army's standard is 20/50, but is there a waiver or an exception to policy for my eye sight?

Question 2:

It's been 15 years since this happen so not sure if it shows up on the background check.

- I was arrested for stealing a CD when I was young and dumb (17) and was only charged with a Class C misdemeanor. Does this show up? Should I even say yes on the questionnaire packet? If I say yes, would this become a dis-qualifier?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

BG

• Like 1

Good Afternoon, This is my first post so I figure a brief introduction is in order, so here it goes. I am 32 and currently serving my 9th and last year in the Marine Corps Reserve. I am an E-5 and currently in the platoon sergeant billet which is two pay grades above me. I have been doing so for the past 2 years. I've also been a platoon commander for one summer during AT (last year with success). I went to college back in 2005 a year after high school and obtained my Private and Instrument rating. I have a total of 231.3 hours (fixed wing). I've always wanted a dual rating (fixed/ rotor). I've always wanted to become a military pilot. So now that you know a little about me here goes my questions: I am currently in the process of applying to the WOFT program. I'm in the beginning stages of it. I have to retake my ASVAB and take the SIFT (I'm studying for both every night). I feel like I have a shot at the program but there are two things that might disqualify me and I am curious if I should even continue to try and pray for the best or just give up hope and be a dreamer for the rest of my life. Question 1: I have 20/70 with a slight astigmatism in my left eye. I know the Army's standard is 20/50, but is there a waiver or an exception to policy for my eye sight? Question 2: It's been 15 years since this happen so not sure if it shows up on the background check. - I was arrested for stealing a CD when I was young and dumb (17) and was only charged with a Class C misdemeanor. Does this show up? Should I even say yes on the questionnaire packet? If I say yes, would this become a dis-qualifier? Thank you in advance for your responses! BG

What's going on man I read your post and I have some answers for you being that I was selected in January of this year.

For your first question on the vision: I'm positive it is a disqualifier if it isn't 20/20 the vision exam for becoming a flight warrant is pretty extensive and if you fail at any point you'll be DQ'd that's what my optician told me who was the OIC of the entire vision center at FT. Bliss. Your best bet is to get it corrected so you have no issues in that aspect of your physical because Ft. Rucker will drag its feet if you have any medical issues. When I got my flight phys back it took a day. Another person who has issues is still waiting to this day July 2017!

As for question 2 being that you're prior service I'm almost certain you'll get a moral waiver considering you were under age. But waivers are honestly case by case. Being that yours isn't drug or alcohol related it should get approved "BIG MAYBE" (I'm no waiver authority). And Moral waivers take such a long time to process from what I've seen so get on the ball with all this now and hopefully you can put in a competitive packet whenever you feel it's complete.

I say continue to study take the tests and become as competitive as possible. Don't let minor hiccups deter you if it's your dream to fly definitely go for it.

Good Afternoon, This is my first post .....

You may also need to consider an age waiver (depending on how quick you get your packet in) and a waiver for having less than 12months remaining on contract.... that's a lot of waivers. Good luck though, I came from the Marine Corps as well, any specific questions just ask.

Thanks guys for the input. How far does the background check go? I've heard 10 years and also heard it goes back to when you turned of legal age, which in Texas was 17. Yeah I am thinking I may need an age waiver if I don't make the first Board in Jan. '18. The Next one would be March 26th I think. I turn 33 on the 18th of March SO, sigh, might take a little longer than I expected.

Creep,

You think I would need a waiver for that? I am Non-Ob and just drilling out the last few months of my contract. I extended 1 extra year from my 6 yrs reserve/ 2 IRR.

Are they really strict about hearing? My last hearing test wasn't as good as the one before but I'm definitely not deaf. As far as I'm concerned, I can hear perfectly fine, but I don't want hearing statistics to crush my dreams. I'm still in high school so I haven't started any programs or anything. Any help is appreciated, thank you!!

Are they really strict about hearing? My last hearing test wasn't as good as the one before but I'm definitely not deaf. As far as I'm concerned, I can hear perfectly fine, but I don't want hearing statistics to crush my dreams. I'm still in high school so I haven't started any programs or anything. Any help is appreciated, thank you!!

Yes they are you fail you'll be DQ'd