Prospective Employer COLD CALLS, how do you go about it?

No...not at all. Thank you.

Congrats on your plethora of job interviews. You must be swell outside the intra-webs as well.

Jokes on you! The term is "inter-web" and no plural "s".

No...not at all. Thank you.

Congrats on your plethora of job interviews. You must be swell outside the intra-webs as well.

I said nothing aboutthe number of job interview's I've sought, or had, nor did I state regarding the number of jobs. Congratulations on what, then?

Fact is, the topic is cold calling, not me. The usual crowd repeatedly finds it nearly impossible to contribute in any meaningful way to the topic, perhaps due to lack or intellect or possibly just lack of experience, but cannot resist the small-minded effort to discuss me. Little wonder. Those of low intellect tend to resort to discussions of people, while those of slightly higher acumen point toward things and places. Neither seems up to the task of discussing ideas. We see this here, quite clearly.

Don't insult me in a prior post and then try to take a crap on everyone else... me thinks you have a hard time outside the confines of the webs.

Don't sell yourself short, a**hole. You're included with the others. You're just too stupid to know it.

Edited by avbug

My posts are someone who knows how to see results cold calling, which is the topic. Something on which you clearly have nothing to offer.

Again, small intellect, can't get past talking people. No experience, nothing to offer. Your position is clear.

Come on girls, play the ball, not the man

The game is all about the opponent, the ball is just used to make it fun and so we can call it a game. What games do you play the ball?---except for pinball, then we know its all in the way you hold yer tongue and sway yer hips.

I'd challenge any of those sniping from the corners to actually contribute to the subject of cold calling employers. It's a valid subject.

I'm in the field firefighting, presently, have been since May 01. I've been working for this employer for a number of years. I obtained the job with a "cold call" resume, resulting in a phone call 15 minutes later from the employer, resulting in lunch, an interview, and a job. I knew the employer well by reputation and research, knew his business, practices, and was quite familiar with his reputation & history (which was very good). My resume was tailored to him, to his business, and the type of work he did.

He asked me over lunch, very pointedly, about my relevant work, as well as other flying and jobs, and noted "don't bullshit me." He knows a lot of folks. He checks. I knew that. He's a been-there, done-that kind of guy, well known, not an easy one to interview with. It took the same approach.

Know what the employer wants, and if you want the job, make sure you're that person. It's not complicated. This employer has a number of aircraft in the field, all busy, operated by a variety of different personalities. That's fine, but each one has and displays what the employer wants, and each has very strong backgrounds relevant to the employers needs. Each employee pilot has a varied background, some of them quite different, but there's a common core of hands-on job experience that applies to this specific employer. That's often the case.

If you have a broad background, and many do, with instruction, utility, military, etc, then tailor your resume to show it, but highlight the parts that are most relevant to that employer's operation, based on your research. Emphasize that in the cover letter. It may be all the explanation and face time you get before an interview by phone or in person, which means it may be the only chance you have to get the interview at all. Once in person, then you can open up with everything else, tie your background together, sell yourself. You've got to get there, first, and cold-calling requires that the very limited exposure you have be adequate to get you into the interview, checkride, etc.

I have been to job fairs and seen a lot of resumes dropped that were identical, and generic. I saw people in no suits, cordoroy outfits, and things that were not appropriate for job interviews. I have seen resumes dropped at employers where I did the screening and hiring, and the resumes showed no interest in the company. Not addressed to anyone in particular, not even the company name found on the resume. It shows a lack of sincerity, interest, desire. Little things go a long way. Research counts, as does the time it takes to personalize the resume and cover letter. It speaks to how badly one wants the job.

Priorities show. Much like the sniping and stupidity of certain posters who cannot seem to contribute to the thread. Grow up, kids. If you have something relevant to say, say it. Are you able?

• Like 1

Hmm, a contribution to the topic, ok,...

98% of my "cold calls" were answered by machines, who never returned my "cold calls".

I got my awesome flying job after the 21st Century version of a "cold call". A facebook message!

,...for the millennials here a "call" was something we old guys did with our phones. :D

No wonder I didn't get that job. I was in a "no suit" wearing my favorite "cordoroy outfit."

Don't you know who Oliver Wendell Douglas is? Even he knows there is a suit for every occasion, for example:

Grey pinstripe = field plowin' suit

Blue tweed = tractor fixin' suit

green gaberdin = seed plantin' suit

corduroy? come on fella's, even i know that is a cow milkin' suit !

as what the bug is doing to this thread, oh yes, read post 7 and compare it to 43, "it felt so nice?, i did it twice"

cold calling to me is showing up unannounced and pestering someone. Yes, i have done that & have gotten the job (mind you i had on just regular clothes, no fancy suit) --just happened to be at right place at right time. I've also had recommendations for jobs, got them too. Answered adds in paper? got 'em that way too.

I would be a bit leary about someone showing up in a fancy suit, knowing all about my company and me & then have the nerve to hand me a "tailored, kiss my ass" type of resume? Not saying it can't work, but? HeloNorth? i hope ya got the cow milkin' job ! LOL

now as for my worthwhile contribution/challenge to this thread? i think i have fulfilled it and stepped up to bat, now bug? here is YOUR challenge, lets hear who you really are and where you work. We shall see how your employer feels about this:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:19

mudkow60, on 08 Aug 2017 - 21:39, said:

Don't insult me in a prior post and then try to take a crap on everyone else... me thinks you have a hard time outside the confines of the webs.

Don't sell yourself short, a**hole. You're included with the others. You're just too stupid to know it.

Edited by avbug, 09 August 2017 - 06:21.

come on but, put on yer cow milkin' suit and step up, or take the udder route and be a coward.

I know it's been a while since I've been here, but it feels like the pollution of the "original forum" is starting to seep into our clean virgin VR forum.

Nothing against the Original Forum, it's just like...the chlamydia of the Internet and we don't really want it here.

Remember kids, use protection when visiting strange forums

I don't know if the "King of the Hill" character 'Boomhauer' ever said exactly this to Bobby. But after a day together interacting with women they didn't know, Bobby asked him why he kept at it, almost everybody they met refused him their phone number: "Yeah, I get a lot `of 'no' when I ask, but I'll never get a 'yes' if I don't ask." 98%, 99% 99.9% no? If you want it, dtop whining and keep at it. The 'yes' is what you're after.

There is some good info in this thread to avoid wasting time...

Pull you pants up, Butters!