New PHI GOM jobs

ChopperJ

PHI is hiring VFR pilots for shelf work, Fieldwood I think. What is the likelihood of actually getting into the IFR ships from there or transferring to EMS. Are you stuck on that job or can you bid off of it eventually?

As I understand it from friends that work there(in other words - second hand...) - currently looking at 5 years to upgrade, not sure about transfer to EMS but it used to be like 3 years.

At the moment, it will be a long wait for an IFR upgrade. I don't think there has been many (if any) in a few years. If oil goes to $75 a barrel tomorrow, this will change but you probably will have a lot of pilots in front of you.

There is no official waiting time for EMS. You can start bidding on EMS jobs the day you get hired. They are going to want to you put some time in in the Gulf first, though. When I was there, the fastest way to move over to EMS was to contact the EMS side of the house and express interest in an opening as well as bidding. They were competing for pilots at the time and oil and gas didn't let their pilots go easily. When I left, EMS pilots were trying to get back into oil and gas because that's where the money was as an IFR captain. It's been several years since I worked there. Take it with a grain.

• Like 1

Do they give preference to robbie rangers?

I've been flying a 44 off of a pier on the atlantic for half of the summer.

It never hurts to ask. You might get a NO, but you'll never get a YES if you don't try.

• Like 1

Every piston pilot is a Robbie pilot now, so I would say no. For a piston pilot with no offshore experience, having an ATP is about the only thing that will make you stand out.

• Like 1

Every piston pilot is a Robbie pilot now, so I would say no. For a piston pilot with no offshore experience, having an ATP is about the only thing that will make you stand out.

Hey hey hey now. There are still 300s out there and the cabri is about to take over as much as the pilot shortage is short.

BTW, I thought PHI was a great company. Great people, great maintenance, great aircraft, lots of opportunity for advancement, international work (with some seniority) and it paid well. I got to the point where I hated offshore flying and spending half my life in a trailer in Louisiana. I should have stuck around but pretty happy where I am now. Such a huge difference from where they were 5 years ago but this ain't PHI's first rodeo.

PHI is hiring VFR pilots for shelf work, Fieldwood I think. What is the likelihood of actually getting into the IFR ships from there or transferring to EMS. Are you stuck on that job or can you bid off of it eventually?

IFR upgrades are likely going to be a long ways out. Don't expect to be upgraded for 5+ years at this point. Maybe it'll happen sooner than that and you'll be pleasantly surprised, but go in with realistic expectations. You can transfer to EMS but don't expect that to happen soon either. Previously they wanted 3 years in the gulf before they let you out. Considering they're hurting for VFR pilots now, they're going to want to hang on to you in that role for as long as operationally necessary. Some guys got out with less than 3 years, some weren't let out. (Timing played a factor in that as well, oil up vs oil down.)

If you win the bid can can Oil and Gas keep you from moving over to EMS? Do they have to release you?

No, they don't. Plenty of things can affect you winning a bid besides seniority. Relocation, aircraft upgrade/transition, etc...

At this point they're giving preference to those who will apply.

...Considering they're hurting for VFR pilots now,

Oh come now, if they were really hurting for VFR pilots we all know they'd be bangin' on old butters' door! After all, I do have almost eight hundred hours now!

,...ooow, and lets not forget my invaluable offshore experience flying the ever difficult to master arrr twentee too mariner!!!

:o :D

At this point they're giving preference to those who will apply.

Ok smartass, I applied, so,...

TAKIN' ALL BETS :D

,...oh and for you Robby guys, it won't take it unless you put in more than one zero!

Will butters have to shave his beard? Tune in next week as,...? :o