PAL V flying car

Wondering if anybody here has heard of the PAL V gyrocopter car?

https://www.pal-v.com/en/characteristics

The rotor blades fold when the aircraft converts to driving mode, that's pretty amazing.

What's the engineering behind the folding blade design?, I imagine it puts a lot of stress at the folding point.

9:58
  • Like 2

Flying cars seem to be crappy cars and poor flying machines. I don't want either of those even if they can be marketed.

I would heartily recommend a lot of drivers I encounter get one. And I would heartily encourage them- Don't let the first crash in either mode discourage you. Keep trying!

Flying cars seem to be crappy cars and poor flying machines. I don't want either of those even if they can be marketed.

I would heartily recommend a lot of drivers I encounter get one. And I would heartily encourage them- Don't let the first crash in either mode discourage you. Keep trying!

Never say never, flying cars are very convenient

Wondering if anybody here has heard of the PAL V gyrocopter car?

https://www.pal-v.com/en/characteristics

The rotor blades fold when the aircraft converts to driving mode, that's pretty amazing.

What's the engineering behind the folding blade design?, I imagine it puts a lot of stress at the folding point.

9:58

Yeah, as a Dutchman I am familiar with those guys. As a matter of fact, I visited them once. IMO, they're presenting the first truly viable flying car. It's a three-wheeler for road legality reasons (not that different in the U.S.). It uses a push prop. The overhead rotorblades are meant for use as an autogyro. So, if there's a power fauiure, it autorotates towards the ground. The setback is its price of $450,000 and the fact that you always need a runway. The trend nowadays is VTOL.

Yeah, as a Dutchman I am familiar with those guys. As a matter of fact, I visited them once. IMO, they're presenting the first truly viable flying car. It's a three-wheeler for road legality reasons (not that different in the U.S.). It uses a push prop. The overhead rotorblades are meant for use as an autogyro. So, if there's a power fauiure, it autorotates towards the ground. The setback is its price of $450,000 and the fact that you always need a runway. The trend nowadays is VTOL.

I was waiting for you to chime in, do you know the patent for the folding rotor blade?, I'd love to see the details.

I was waiting for you to chime in, do you know the patent for the folding rotor blade?, I'd love to see the details.

Erh... no. Yeah, that is the PAL-V's party piece. If it is patented (and I think it has been) it can also be found at the U.S. patent office. Or google for PAL-V foldable rotary wing. Or so.

Erh... no. Yeah, that is the PAL-V's party piece. If it is patented (and I think it has been) it can also be found at the U.S. patent office. Or google for PAL-V foldable rotary wing. Or so.

for some reason I couldn't find it on google patent.