Flight Physical Help - November Board

Hello everyone!

I am currently in the Army Reserves and completed my flight physical at Ft. Knox back in May. I was too honest during the physical questionnaire and noted that I had a very minor concussion over a year ago, saw a doctor about it and he was not concerned about it.

My physical was stamped not qualified - incomplete as Ft. Rucker would like neurological testing done in accordance with the APL associated with concussions.

I paid out of pocket to have an MRI done, neuropsychological consultation, and a neurological consultation which is required per the APL.

I submitted all findings to Ft. Knox over a month ago but they have not resubmitted my physical to Ft. Rucker yet. I call about twice per week every week to check on it to no avail.

My question is: Is there a point of contact at Ft. Rucker I can send these documents to or does everything have to come through the flight surgeon assigned to me?

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

You're honestly at the mercy of the flight physicians overseeing your physical. It sucks you had to do all that for something we all would deem fairly minor. Depending on what's going on at Rucker you may receive an answer soon or months down the road. I have a friend who put her packet in last December* and she still has no qualified stamp. But each case is different try going on the main website and speaking with someone who works there and just annoy the hell out of everyone. If this is something you want go for it! Rucker is unique and just undermanned when dealing with medical in my opinion!

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

I am currently in the Army Reserves and completed my flight physical at Ft. Knox back in May. I was too honest during the physical questionnaire and noted that I had a very minor concussion over a year ago, saw a doctor about it and he was not concerned about it.

My physical was stamped not qualified - incomplete as Ft. Rucker would like neurological testing done in accordance with the APL associated with concussions.

I paid out of pocket to have an MRI done, neuropsychological consultation, and a neurological consultation which is required per the APL.

I submitted all findings to Ft. Knox over a month ago but they have not resubmitted my physical to Ft. Rucker yet. I call about twice per week every week to check on it to no avail.

My question is: Is there a point of contact at Ft. Rucker I can send these documents to or does everything have to come through the flight surgeon assigned to me?

Thank you in advance!

Yes there is a POC at the Ft. Rucker Aeromedical center you can call. Any questions concerning Flight Physicals should be addressed to Mr. Garcia at (334)255-3233. Let them know your issues.

Go up the Chain of Command as well. I know it can be intimidating to do that as an enlisted Soldier, but that's the point of everyone having a boss.

I had relatively the same type of deal as you do now but it was concerning a different medical issue. I jumped through hoops and danced like a monkey for the Flight Surgeon only for them to play god with my packet. It wasn't until I made a few waves that I got the ball rolling. And be sure not to confuse the civilian nurses/assistants with the Flight Surgeon. Come to find out for my instance, it was really just a lazy DOD civilian nurse playing gate keeper with the paperwork; once the FS found out the issue through his CO everything was great.

• Like 1

I think something like that warrants a face to face. You need to take a little time and go down there. Everything that dealt with my physical I did face to face and got a Qualified stamp less than 24 hours after I submitted.

• Like 1

You're honestly at the mercy of the flight physicians overseeing your physical. It sucks you had to do all that for something we all would deem fairly minor. Depending on what's going on at Rucker you may receive an answer soon or months down the road. I have a friend who put her packet in last December* and she still has no qualified stamp. But each case is different try going on the main website and speaking with someone who works there and just annoy the hell out of everyone. If this is something you want go for it! Rucker is unique and just undermanned when dealing with medical in my opinion!

I should clarify that my physical is currently sitting with my FS at Ft. Knox, I have just been waiting for him to resubmit everything back to Ft. Rucker. But I will certainly amp up the annoying factor. Thank you

Yes there is a POC at the Ft. Rucker Aeromedical center you can call. Any questions concerning Flight Physicals should be addressed to Mr. Garcia at (334)255-3233. Let them know your issues.

Go up the Chain of Command as well. I know it can be intimidating to do that as an enlisted Soldier, but that's the point of everyone having a boss.

I had relatively the same type of deal as you do now but it was concerning a different medical issue. I jumped through hoops and danced like a monkey for the Flight Surgeon only for them to play god with my packet. It wasn't until I made a few waves that I got the ball rolling. And be sure not to confuse the civilian nurses/assistants with the Flight Surgeon. Come to find out for my instance, it was really just a lazy DOD civilian nurse playing gate keeper with the paperwork; once the FS found out the issue through his CO everything was great.

Thank you for that contact, I recall seeing his name several times on VR. From what the enlisted folks that run the flight physical office tell me, this is indeed in the hands of my FS and they are just waiting for him to submit everything back to Ft. Rucker.

I think something like that warrants a face to face. You need to take a little time and go down there. Everything that dealt with my physical I did face to face and got a Qualified stamp less than 24 hours after I submitted.

Ft. Knox is about a 3.5 hour drive from where I live which isn't terrible in the grand scheme of things. Would you recommend setting up an appointment to see him or simply showing up and spending as long as necessary to meet with my FS? It took 2 months to get an appointment with him for my phase 2 physical if that is of any indication of their timelines down there.

Thank you all for the helpful comments, I will keep you all updated as things hopefully move forward.

Ft. Knox is about a 3.5 hour drive from where I live which isn't terrible in the grand scheme of things. Would you recommend setting up an appointment to see him or simply showing up and spending as long as necessary to meet with my FS? It took 2 months to get an appointment with him for my phase 2 physical if that is of any indication of their timelines down there.

Thank you all for the helpful comments, I will keep you all updated as things hopefully move forward.

Not to tell you want to do. But The other poster is correct in that you should really just drive up there with a good book to read while you wait. I don't see why the FS wouldn't see you for a few minutes especially if you are a Soldier.

I most certainly would of done that if I wasn't a civilian applicant & actually had base privileges to get into the hospital lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have not updated this but after my last post I made some calls and got an appointment to see my FS. I was told that I did not have to come, they were just setting time aside in the FS' schedule to review my case....needless to say I'm going there anyways. I will be seeing my FS on Wednesday morning and hopefully he does not have any issues with all of the tests that were ran on me.

For anyone reading and curious about the turnaround time for Rucker to stamp a physical, for my last go at this it was the same day. I am hoping that is the case this time as well!

*Update*

I drove down to Fort Knox and they actually seemed surprised/shocked that I was there. After weeks and weeks of calling I was told at that time that I was missing the report from my MRI (why wasn't that brought up the dozen or so times I called?). I was still able to meet with my flight surgeon, but here comes the twist in the story. Originally I had been seeing a Captain this whole time but this time I met with the the Deputy Commander of the hospital which I thought was strange, but perhaps they were just short staffed that day? Anyways I drove back to Indianapolis, got the documents that I needed and emailed them to my flight surgeon.

I will likely call Rucker early next week if I do not see any movement on my physical as I spoke with a Major there a few weeks ago who said they are happy to assist those that are trying to get in before the deadline.

• Like 1

*Update*

I drove down to Fort Knox and they actually seemed surprised/shocked that I was there. After weeks and weeks of calling I was told at that time that I was missing the report from my MRI (why wasn't that brought up the dozen or so times I called?). I was still able to meet with my flight surgeon, but here comes the twist in the story. Originally I had been seeing a Captain this whole time but this time I met with the the Deputy Commander of the hospital which I thought was strange, but perhaps they were just short staffed that day? Anyways I drove back to Indianapolis, got the documents that I needed and emailed them to my flight surgeon.

I will likely call Rucker early next week if I do not see any movement on my physical as I spoke with a Major there a few weeks ago who said they are happy to assist those that are trying to get in before the deadline.

AMEDD-Subordinates and how they operate effectively will always be a mystery to me.

Good Luck

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...