WOFT then Reserves or Guard

I go to Broward College and am enrolled in the Professional Pilot part 141 course; just finishing up my fixed wing instrument rating. I am in the Fort. Laudedale, Florida area and I am just about finished getting my WOFT packet together.

I am prior service USAF but I have a few questions regarding the Army Guard and Reserve while pursuing a future with the major airlines.

My recruiters are putting me in contact with C Co 5-159th Avn. UH-60, out of Clearwater Florida. With out getting the "recruiter" answer, I am wondering what is the difference between the Army Guard and Reserves as far as AVIATION goes.

Money/Resources

Op Tempo

Flight Hours

Training

Flying Commercial Airlines

What would you do if in my situation? Or does it matter?

• Like 1

Reserves I believe only have blackhawks and the Guard has a variety of airframes. Reserve is federally funded while the guard I state funded. Your tasks will stay the same as a pilot across the branches. You will still have to keep up your flying times etc. My guard unit you can fly everyday from honestly but only so many days you can be paid to fly 72 a year I believe. And as for airlines lots of regionals poaching 750 minimum to start and about 450-500 to be hired on with salaries starting in th55k+ range not a bad perk considering you'll still be flying for the military part time and can make up to 30k a year if you're really grinding on both not a bad gig IMO

Can you get put straight into the reserves? I thought you could only originally go Active or Guard, and then after some time hit the reserves.

If you want to fly for the reserves find a reserve unit near you and speak with the aviators and try to get an interview with the head guy around there so they can endorse you becoming a warrant officer and help guide you in the WOFT packet process. You don't have to go active if you want to be in the reserves then apply for a reserve warrant officer position.

• 2 weeks later...

Reserves I believe only have blackhawks and the Guard has a variety of airframes. Reserve is federally funded while the guard I state funded. Your tasks will stay the same as a pilot across the branches. You will still have to keep up your flying times etc. My guard unit you can fly everyday from honestly but only so many days you can be paid to fly 72 a year I believe. And as for airlines lots of regionals poaching 750 minimum to start and about 450-500 to be hired on with salaries starting in th55k+ range not a bad perk considering you'll still be flying for the military part time and can make up to 30k a year if you're really grinding on both not a bad gig IMO

Thank you for the reply. I'm familiar with the state vs federal. I was just hit hard with hurricane Irma and I know the guard is flying because they are state level. Can a Reserve guy volunteer to fly with Guard guys to help out during disasters?

I suppose it is possible for a reserve guy to fly with the Guard, highly unlikely. Having said that, we did have some Clearwater guys fly with us (actually we flew with them) for deck quals.

Some other differences:

Guard - No duty station changes, unless you want to go to NGB or Ft. Rucker

Guard - Deploy every 4 to 5 years, usually to an armpit in the world (not Korea, Germany, etc..)

Reserves - Duty changes every three years I believe (someone correct me on this)

Reserves - I've heard they rarely deploy

Flight hour minimums are the same across the board (AD, Reserves, Guard)

Some subtle difference in the technician program...guard positions are tied to rank. If you are a mechanic and go to flight school, you lose your job. As a reservist, I think you can be a CW2 aircraft mechanic technician

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email from my recruiter. Flight surgeon is out of office til Oct....
My MEPS and other paper work is done. Can I be scheduled for the battalion board while I wait on the flight med? Or does that have to be done first. Just don't want to miss the next board. Wanted to ask yall before I call the recruiter back.
Thanks

My MEPS and other paper work is done. Can I be scheduled for the battalion board while I wait on the flight med? Or does that have to be done first. Just don't want to miss the next board. Wanted to ask yall before I call the recruiter back.

Thanks

From my experience which was at the beginning of the year they want to make sure the flight physical is stamped and approved. It kind of protects them from selecting someone who isn't qualified. It's a mandatory piece of the packet. But each board is different but I don't see them giving you an okay without a stamped physical.

Thanks

I'm in almost the same boat as you- I've got everything done except the battalion board. Currently waiting on my physical to be stamped. My battalion board won't see me until the physical is approved.