VOLO_VRGeneral468TigerTugsVRForumGen468Helicopter AcademyUpperLimit2011General_468x60
Photo
- - - - -

Crash kills pilot and Troy Gentry

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy recreational pilot! :)

Posted 13 September 2017 - 14:18

I don't know, in a Jet Ranger (that glides like,...forever) yeah, maybe? A 269 however, that makes a 22's glide look long!

I guess if you must, decend to a hover, shut the fuel valve off, then wait for the hover auto?
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#22 Hand_Grenade_Pilot

Hand_Grenade_Pilot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Company working for:GoM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 14:33

I don't know, in a Jet Ranger (that glides like,...forever) yeah, maybe? A 269 however, that makes a 22's glide look long!
I guess if you must, decend to a hover, shut the fuel valve off, then wait for the hover auto?

The length of the glide is irrelevant in this scenario. You're not trying to make a specific spot; anywhere on the runway will suffice. No need to do anything fancy to adjust the glide path.

And getting it to a stable hover with a fixed throttle setting (without overspeeding) is a long shot to say the least. More then likely, you will be performing an autorotation from altitude (if the pilot is comfortable doing so).

If the pilot has any doubt that the autorotation could be performed safely, then they should perform a power on approach, land immediately and have the necessary overspeed inspections done.
Aviation is a cruel mistress. When she's not taking your money, she's coming up with creative ways to kill you.

#23 Hand_Grenade_Pilot

Hand_Grenade_Pilot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Company working for:GoM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 14:40

And while the H269 (or Schweitzer 300 if you'd prefer) does drop like a brick in an autorotation (as do all helicopters with more than two blades) I found it to be much easier to manage then the R22. The rotor system has a little more inertia, making RPM fluctuations less dramatic. The landing gear is also more robust and can handle harder ground contact.
Aviation is a cruel mistress. When she's not taking your money, she's coming up with creative ways to kill you.

#24 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 13 September 2017 - 14:55

And getting it to a stable hover with a fixed throttle setting (without overspeeding) is a long shot to say the least. More then likely, you will be performing an autorotation from altitude (if the pilot is comfortable doing so).

Well in that case, I'm back to my original plan, f*ck the aircraft, let it overspeed!
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

#25 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 13 September 2017 - 16:56

https://www.ntsb.gov...908X43517&key=1

#26 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:25

Overspeed???  If there's ANY doubt about survival without damaging the helicopter- then put down in bits and shards in as survivable situation as possible as long as you and your passenger walk away.

Sully is justifiably famous for his exceptional, outstanding judgement and superb skill, deservedly so.  That airplane wasn't unscathed but everybody walked away because he went for maximum chance of survival instead of trying the much riskier perfection offered by returns to airports.

The aircraft is threatening your life because it is broken.  Waste it if you have to, but SURVIVE!  Overspeed that bee-yach(t) but walk away.

• 500E likes this

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)

PrecisionVRForumGeneral200MidwestHeliAcademy2016DevoreGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200Helmet FX General 200HeliHelmetsColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200Able_VRGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralNFCVRGeneral200