Looking for advice/intel on the MD 530F

cherminator

Does anyone here have experience flying an MD 530F? I'm looking for opinions on it, especially for flying in the mountains, cost of ownership, reliability, etc.

Somebody here said in another post: "the 530F. Its a Scalpel that will allow you to get into some ridiculous places, but with that Rotor head, you are going to get your ass handed to you in the mtns. And that's fine so long as you are good with it, but you'll never get a passenger to do it with you twice."

What's the issue with that rotor head in the mountains? Is he implying you will get tossed around violently in turbulence?

• Like 1

Thanks for your response 500E. I'm guessing the 530F is the same cabin as the 500 series? How is the ceiling height for tall people. Would a 6'2" guy with a helmet fit in the pilot seat?

Any notable expensive parts that need to be replaced periodically, other than the turbine?

MD's website says the 530F has a range of 260 NM, or 2.2 hours. Is this a real-world expectation or is it even less in actuality?

Thanks Eric.

I'm really only concerned about the front seats, especially the pilot seat, as 95% of the time I fly alone or with the wife or a friend. I fit with a helmet on no problem in an R66 and an EC130, but not in an R44,

The back seat would mostly be for cargo. On that thought, does anyone know if the back seats are removed easily and if so, are you left with a truly flat floor?

Most of my 500 time was in a D model but they are surprisingly fast! They are good in the mountains….not great but I'm sure the 530 would be better. The tail rotor authority wasn't good on a warm day above 6,000' but if you typically fly alone I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. I'm 6'2" and it is fine to fly but by no means is it comfortable. It seems that ships with thin main rotor blades don't do as well in high DA situations, but that's just my observation.

Parts seem to be hit & miss again the prices are Crazy i expect they are the same for all manufacturers but there is a limit.

MyMD Aero is a rip off as far as a number of us are concerned it used to be free.

Still not as bad as Schweitzer the problems with parts cost delivery dates running into hundreds they don't want or deserve customers

We operated an early 500 with the C18 engine of about 278 hp about 25 years ago. The C18 was designated as such because it would supposedly burn 18 gallons an hour. This was not a powerful or fast helicopter and you had to pull a lot of power to see performance. The C20 would burn about 20 gallons original as released.. As you know the C20R put out more power and would burn more fuel so that nomenclature of gallons per hour didn't mean what it formerly did. The C30 is just a more powerful engine and when put in that airframe it was designed for high altitude with some preferring the C20R over the C30 for low level flight. I've trained a number of people that have thousands of hours in the 500 series and one called me from Hawaii for my birthday the other day. I can put you in touch with him if you PM me or text me at 561-346-2816. My first helicopter flight was in 1986 in a Bell 206 and had some flying in the 500 also but the R22 Beta Mariner is our choice.

• 3 weeks later...

The charts are right. The 530 does very well at altitude, but is not needed for A-B flights. If you are doing external loads above 5k get a 530. External loads in the 3-5k DA range, consider a C20R, Otherwise a D or E with a C20B is fine. Parts are all 99% avaiable through helimart. There are a few parts that are hard to find, mostly the stuff like T/R driveshaft with 10,000 hour life.

Flat floor.

They fly rough in turbulence but what aircraft doesn't?