103 replies to this topic

#41 itsbigfootguys

itsbigfootguys

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 14:15

As for the comments about what will keep warrant officers around in the Army.  Most of them are spot on, but I disagree with the points about going to the field and CTC rotations.  That's the job and it's necessary to be ready for war.  But it would be a lot more palatable if I could train for those rotations as an aviator and soldier instead of worrying all the time about the extra sh*t tacked on.  Unfortunately I think what is putting that burden on us is the attempt to keep the Army personnel numbers down.  That's where I think the biggest change needs to happen.  Allocate enough personnel to man the admin side of things in every unit and allow the war-fighters to focus on fighting.

So, just to be clear, I am not arguing against the field and CTC rotations. However, the frequency of them is totally unnecessary. 90% of the training done at those rotations can be done at a home station, if the time at home station was devoted to training instead of maintaining 350-1 currency. CTC rotations have their place, and that place is certifying units to be ready for war. Home station training should be preparation for CTC, which should be preparation for war. Our BN is scheduled for 3 CTC rotations in FY18, immediately after a combat rotation. It's a bit much. 

• mcclainm likes this

#42 itsbigfootguys

itsbigfootguys

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 14:19

Unfortunately I think what is putting that burden on us is the attempt to keep the Army personnel numbers down.  That's where I think the biggest change needs to happen.  Allocate enough personnel to man the admin side of things in every unit and allow the war-fighters to focus on fighting, but that costs a ton of money to do.

I would very much agree with this. We're burning the candle on both ends. Our leaders have become so accustomed to the success of SOF, they think you can still do everything with very little personnel, but they seem to miss the enormous price tag that comes with SOF units. 

Either pump massive amounts of money to fund and train a small force extremely well, or fun and train a much larger force. But were trying to minimally fund a train a small force and expect it to do the job of a much larger force. The math just doesn't work. 

Fund the warfighter and send him to war. Or don't send him to war. 

• SBuzzkill likes this

#43 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 14:21

Yeah I totally agree with you, I apologize for misinterpreting what you said.

Frequency wise I think they're having to triple tap you guys in order to keep aviation support since there are far more ground brigades than aviation.  There just aren't enough aviation units to keep a good rotation up while also deploying/dwelling/rotating to other countries.  Short of standing up new units and buying more aircraft I'm not sure how you could solve that.

Edited by SBuzzkill, 29 September 2017 - 14:24.

#44 itsbigfootguys

itsbigfootguys

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 14:33

Yeah I totally agree with you, I apologize for misinterpreting what you said.

Frequency wise I think they're having to triple tap you guys in order to keep aviation support since there are far more ground brigades than aviation.  We saw that with our Chinook company having to send birds to almost every JRTC rotation one year.  There just wasn't enough aviation units to keep a good rotation up while also deploying/dwelling/rotating to other countries.  Short of standing up new units and buying more aircraft I'm not sure how you could solve that.

You're absolutely right, and I know how much the CH community has suffered as a result of ground units being desperate to train. We all want to train and be better at our jobs, but like you said, we bear the brunt. That infantry brigade my go to CTC once a year, but their build up to that event is literally the only training they will do for that year. I spent 90% of my time as a grunt doing nothing at all. We either need more pilots, more aircraft, or more realistically, ground units that aren't on the patch chart just need to chill on the CTC rotations. Most of what a ground unit does at CTC can be done at home station, commanders just like to go to CTCs because it looks good on OERs and requires minimal planning from their staff. We could do CTC style training at home station, but it would require a lot of work from staff officers who are busy making red blocks on powerpoint turn green 

#45 Tradewinds

Tradewinds

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 14:39

So, if you're willing to suck it up for a little bit, you'll end up in a much better situation. Whereas in the Army, you're going to suck it up anyway, and you'll end up in pretty much the same situation. For guys on the fence, the opportunity is extremely hard to pass up .I think a lot of guys don't realize how difficult it will be initially, but most do, and have weighed the reward to be worth the hassle

Makes sense over the long haul, but I can also understand those that are wary of losing the 90 to 95K per year to make a jump. As always you have to look at the pot of gold and realize that it's at the End of the rainbow, not the beginning.

• itsbigfootguys likes this

#46 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts
  • Interests:Autos.
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Aviation/Civilian CFI

Posted 29 September 2017 - 15:38

With most regionals, the pay cut is not as severe as some seem to think. I can get into the math later, but especially if you don't have a degree yet you can leverage your GI Bill and make some BAH to offset some of that initial cut.

And with several regionals now having Captain upgrades at 1000 hrs 121 time (so a flight hour requirement instead of only based on seniority) you can make six figures in one year to 18 months.

And if you pick PSA which has SAP (a form of scheduling), you can craft your schedule to never miss another birthday or holiday again. And craft your schedule so you have most of your days off all in a row (nicknamed a "SAPcation").

The information is out there. There is a risk, yes (another 9/11 event). But the risk isn't as severe as a lot of people who haven't done a ton of research think it is.

#47 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 15:41

Plus, look at the pay scales. You'll be making more than what you do now in about 5 years. With a pay scale that goes up to $30K+ per MONTH after a couple decades. That will more than offset any initial pay cut. Don't let fear of change rob you of your options.
  • Creep0321 likes this

#48 akscott60

akscott60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Firearms, and Freedom.
  • Company working for:CH47F Instructor Pilot.

Posted 29 September 2017 - 15:49

This thread is the best one ever on this page. 

• zion and Creep0321 like this

#49 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 16:18

Edit:  Just to keep from underplaying how totally f*cking stoked I am that there are all these opportunities, I figured I'd delete my previous post. I am on pins and needles right now waiting to get out of the Army and pursue a path to keep flying professionally.  And I will say that this is the best time I have ever seen for someone ready and wanting to go to the airlines.  Just be cautious.

Edited by SBuzzkill, 29 September 2017 - 16:32.

• Lindsey likes this

#50 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 16:47

Just be cautious.

Absolutely. Never make any decision blindly and never follow a herd without doing your own research. This is the 21st century--Almighty Google and forums are your friend. The information is out there.

#51 akscott60

akscott60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 16:52

6.5 months until I start the airline life. 

#52 Trogdor

Trogdor

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 17:01

Im not an RLO but I have to stick up for them here. They dont just look for OER bullets and turn red to green on PowerPoint. The good ones also turn red to green on Excel.
  • akscott60, SBuzzkill and Willbyerow like this

#53 akscott60

akscott60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 20:42

https://theaviatorag...-right-for-you/

^^^^Literally sums it right up^^^^

#54 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 20:45

https://theaviatorag...-right-for-you/

^^^^Literally sums it right up^^^^

Also the funniest thing you'll have read this week. Well, aside from the ALARACT itself.

#55 ByteFlighter

ByteFlighter

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Happy Hookers, Steel Rain, Black Deaths,
    Tiny Birds
  • Company working for:USARACTRCAS

Posted 29 September 2017 - 20:50

Am I missing something about the AF's idea to keep Rated RLOs in flying billets instead of staff jobs? Sounds exactly like the Warrant Officer or Restricted Line idea....

And for those of you rated Warrants that have been in for a few years, is command actively seeking opinions on retention issues and solutions from the Warrant Corps or just implementing policy and hoping it plugs the leak?

#56 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 21:04

is command actively seeking opinions on retention issues and solutions from the Warrant Corps or just implementing policy and hoping it plugs the leak?

Hahahahhahahahahahahahhahahhahwhahwhahhahwhahhahahahahahahhahwhhahahahhahahshhahsahhahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahajajjajajajjahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahahhahahaha

Ha.
  • ByteFlighter likes this

#57 akscott60

akscott60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 21:05

Am I missing something about the AF's idea to keep Rated RLOs in flying billets instead of staff jobs? Sounds exactly like the Warrant Officer or Restricted Line idea....

And for those of you rated Warrants that have been in for a few years, is command actively seeking opinions on retention issues and solutions from the Warrant Corps or just implementing policy and hoping it plugs the leak?

My command basically said "How can I be an airline pilot" as well as "As soon as my ADSO is up I am following you".

My CWOB asked what he can do to make me stay. I just smiled and said the Army cannot provide me what it would take. 

#58 ByteFlighter

ByteFlighter

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Happy Hookers, Steel Rain, Black Deaths,
    Tiny Birds
  • Company working for:USARACTRCAS

Posted 29 September 2017 - 21:14

Hahahahhahahahahahahahhahahhahwhahwhahhahwhahhahahahahahahhahwhhahahahhahahshhahsahhahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahajajjajajajjahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahahhahahaha

Ha.

My command basically said "How can I be an airline pilot" as well as "As soon as my ADSO is up I am following you".

My CWOB asked what he can do to make me stay. I just smiled and said the Army cannot provide me what it would take. 

Haha, Wonderful. Anyone for-see them implementing a stop loss type policy, and extending the ADSO to stop the bleeding?

I signed my contract fairly recently and the legal semantics surrounding the ADSO for WOFT was rather obscure; It was worded as if the ADSO was just a place holder in the contract and can be changed at any point.

#59 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 21:15

Don't use that term. That's blacklisted. Never speak of it.
  • ByteFlighter likes this

#60 akscott60

akscott60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 21:15

There are rumors of the ADSO going to 8 years. 

Stop Loss is not to be talked about in the open. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

NFCVRForum200HomeDevoreHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeColoradoHeliOpsHome200Able_VRHOme200Genesys VR Forum 200PrecisionVRForumHome200