Army G1 WO Information

Am I missing something about the AF's idea to keep Rated RLOs in flying billets instead of staff jobs? Sounds exactly like the Warrant Officer or Restricted Line idea....

And for those of you rated Warrants that have been in for a few years, is command actively seeking opinions on retention issues and solutions from the Warrant Corps or just implementing policy and hoping it plugs the leak?

is command actively seeking opinions on retention issues and solutions from the Warrant Corps or just implementing policy and hoping it plugs the leak?

Hahahahhahahahahahahahhahahhahwhahwhahhahwhahhahahahahahahhahwhhahahahhahahshhahsahhahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahajajjajajajjahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahahhahahaha

Ha.

• Like 1

Am I missing something about the AF's idea to keep Rated RLOs in flying billets instead of staff jobs? Sounds exactly like the Warrant Officer or Restricted Line idea....

And for those of you rated Warrants that have been in for a few years, is command actively seeking opinions on retention issues and solutions from the Warrant Corps or just implementing policy and hoping it plugs the leak?

My command basically said "How can I be an airline pilot" as well as "As soon as my ADSO is up I am following you".

My CWOB asked what he can do to make me stay. I just smiled and said the Army cannot provide me what it would take.

Hahahahhahahahahahahahhahahhahwhahwhahhahwhahhahahahahahahhahwhhahahahhahahshhahsahhahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahajajjajajajjahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahahhahahaha

Ha.

My command basically said "How can I be an airline pilot" as well as "As soon as my ADSO is up I am following you".

My CWOB asked what he can do to make me stay. I just smiled and said the Army cannot provide me what it would take.

Haha, Wonderful. Anyone for-see them implementing a stop loss type policy, and extending the ADSO to stop the bleeding?

I signed my contract fairly recently and the legal semantics surrounding the ADSO for WOFT was rather obscure; It was worded as if the ADSO was just a place holder in the contract and can be changed at any point.

That's because your contract says 6 years from the completion of WOCS, which is replaced later with 6 years from the completion of flight school. So in a sense it is a placeholder.

Yeah I know that, it says that in the contract. Don't quote me here because I don't have it in front of me but it says something along the lines of "The U.S. Army reserves the right to extend the ADSO at any time..in war (duh) yadda yadda...or in peace time" the latter catching my eye.

That is why RTPs sprung up (retirement age went from 60 to 65...causing a bubble where people couldn't get out of Regionals because the Majors / Legacies didn't need them). Now the 65rs are hitting mandatory retirement.

It is not quite the well spring of everything being the mostest/bestest ever, but if you aren't satisfied, it is a more than doable "out" with an extraordinary opportunity there.

Edited by METT-TC

Since I had a few hundred hours of flight time before the military I'd be eligible for the RTP programs the regionals have. Being Guard would have allowed me to jump on that ship the second I heard it was approaching port. Seriously though--if you'd have asked me two years ago my feelings on FW and the airlines, my opinion was a complete 180. Times change, experiences change, industries change, and reality changes. The new reality is that if you want a job where you are more than adequately compensated for your skill set, combined with more than adequate time off (that means time for family/travel), you just can't beat the current situation flying jets. The Army's newest retention program, if you can call it that, just shines a huge spotlight on how little it values its Aviators. That being said, I would absolutely not go back and NOT do it. But being Guard would, in this climate, be the best of both worlds. When I joined, the regionals were still paying $20k a year and QOL was laughable. Well, the airline pilots are laughing now.

Well there Lindsey, will you go Army Guard or Reserves when your initial active duty commitment is completed? Its less than 5 years away.

Well there Lindsey, will you go Army Guard or Reserves when your initial active duty commitment is completed? Its less than 5 years away.

No. Ive been down on my luck. Im getting med boarded and will likely never fly again. If I do though, Im going to the Airlines.

So as a civ that's been working on a WOFT packet, this is all pretty discouraging. I'm 30 years old, at 350 hours FW commercial, college degree, decent salary in the tech field... I've been fairly set on doing military flying for a while. Army is my only option now due to age. Guard research tells me that they don't take non-prior guys.

Do you salty warrants have any advice for civ guys wanting to go active?

I will never try to tell prospective applicants to stop following their dreams. All Im saying is that for those of us that are in, and have accomplished that dream (or some of it), there are now other, and in many ways, better, options at this point for the future. Army aviation isnt like Chickenhawk. Not anymore at least. Its a big beaurocracy with 90% admin stuff and 10% flying.

Just do your research. All of it. Decide which path is best for *you*. I will say that though it is very rare, some guard/reserve units will take some street to seat applicants. I dont remember which states, and I think it changes on an as-needed basis. May be worth looking into. May I ask what your plan was with the FW time/ratings? Consider what 8 years of seniority number loss means financially. Balance that with the need to serve. I get it, I absolutely do. I will never say dont do it. Just be realistic about expectations. The last thing I want to hear from someone is that they leapt into WOFT because everyone said it was sunshine and rainbows. I also dont want to hear I gave up on WOFT because someone on the Internet said it isnt what its cracked up to be.

Do your research. Think long and hard. Weigh pros and cons. Talk about it with people objectively. If your decision is to pursue WOFT then I will tell you that flight school (minus B co) was absolutely the best time of my life. And my proudest moment was medevacing a soldier from the field to the hospital under goggles, in crap weather, in the middle of the night while on the controls the whole time. Its what I signed up for, and I do not regret it one bit. The only thing I would have probably changed would have been to go Guard instead. But I do understand the issue that most units dont take street to seatersso its a risk enlisting with just a promise of a WOFT slot in the future.

Anyway, lots of words just to say that this is your decisionjust make it well-informed and with as much information at your disposal as possible.

So as a civ that's been working on a WOFT packet, this is all pretty discouraging. I'm 30 years old, at 350 hours FW commercial, college degree, decent salary in the tech field... I've been fairly set on doing military flying for a while. Army is my only option now due to age. Guard research tells me that they don't take non-prior guys.

Do you salty warrants have any advice for civ guys wanting to go active?

Go talk to some guard units. Many are short on pilots and even if they won't to a real "street to seat" option, they might send you to WOCS/WOFT before you have time to unpack from Basic and AIT. I was in candidate school in 2012 before the pilot shortage and many NG guys in my class had less than a year back at their units between AIT and being sent to Rucker.

May I ask what your plan was with the FW time/ratings?

I was working towards being a test pilot for the company I work for. That destiny is a thousand hours away and I wont be able to get to it without CFI'ing on the side, playing politics and taking a huge gamble by staying where I'm at for years and keeping my fingers crossed.

Airlines have been a thought, but I dont know if I'd be able to do the monotony of the same route over and over. One of the opportunities in the Army I would compete for (hopefully leveraging several years of aviation testing experience as well as engineering education) is XP. I wouldn't have that possibility outside of the Army at this point in my life.