if any of you seasoned WOs could go back and choose a C10 instead of helo if it meant more flight hours and less time doing Army malarkey that doesn't pertain to aviation, would you? I don't know if that is even the case with current C10 WOs...
I fly both the 64 and the C12. You will always have Army BS to deal with, they just change the flavor.
A previous post of mine about Army FW
80% of the flying is done on autopilot at FL250. So much for fun flying, but it does allow you to catch up on your Netflix.
- Active Army is moving to a MI heavy FW setup. Even more so than it already is. Most of the VIP slots are going away. This means the duty station choices will primarily be Fort Bliss, Korea, Fort Hood, etc etc. So much for awesome duty stations.
- Your 1st 6+ years as a civilian pilot will be at a pay scale between 27K and 55K annually. Then, as you progress to the position of Captain, you will be stuck on the horrible routes and making not much more until you are senior and flying with one of the big carriers.
- The exotic locations are being dramatically reduced due to the transition of Army FW to almost all MI slots. Hope you consider combat zones as exotic.
- I know multiple FW pilots who would like to talk to you about these 3 month deployments.
- Excellent promotion rates for FW? Now that's funny. Maybe 10 years from now once all of the current W3s and W4s are retired or attrited.
- The FW job is primarily supporting the ground guys seeing that you are an aerial intel asset.
- I averaged fewer flight hours annually in FW than I did in RW
- Super chill community? Nah. It's still an Army aviation unit. You still have the additional duties, annual requirements. BS meetings, and typical Army frustrations.
- Yes, you wil be afforded the opportunity to pick up different airframes. C-12/RC-12/Dash 7. Get the picture?
Yes, there are sweet jobs in FW, just as there are in RW. Yes, there are cushy exotic locations in FW, just as there are in RW, but it's true that FW does have more currently. Reality is the majority of future FW jobs are going to be MI, in direct support of the ground guys, which means you deploy. If you pick an airframe off future possibilities, you might be thoroughly disappointed with the present reality.