NOVEMBER 2017 WARRANT SELECTION

Little confused here. My recruiter told me that there are boards every month for civilian applicants to WOFT. Is this true? Or are the board dates only in November, January, and March.

Thanks

From what I understand the Civilian boards go monthly depending on the region. These boards are for the recruiting people to say that you would be a good candidate. Once they give the go ahead they send your packet to USAREC for their board. Which is boarded according to their calendar.

Basically the recruiter boards are for them to weed out the people who would't be a good fit into the military.

• Like 1

Degree: 3.4 GPA BA in Political Science w/ paralegal studies minor
GT : 119
SIFT: 64

APFT: 300
Flight Physical: Stamped no waivers
Mil Experience : none

Flight Experience: 7 hrs rotary wing
LORs: Retired Army Capt, HS coach/teacher, former boss at big 5 pharma, college prof

Packet is USAREC board ready. Have been lurking/reading for a few months now while building my packet, forums have been awesome. LOR's and low flight time are worrisome. Coming from the civilian side. Good luck to everyone and hoping for the best!

LORs: Retired Army Capt, HS coach/teacher, former boss at big 5 pharma, college prof

Packet is USAREC board ready. Have been lurking/reading for a few months now while building my packet, forums have been awesome. LOR's and low flight time are worrisome. Coming from the civilian side. Good luck to everyone and hoping for the best!

Dont be worried.

• Like 2

Dont you have to have a LOR from a Sr. Warrant? I heard something along the lines of they are waiving that right now do to the shortage but I havent actually seen it anywhere.

Dont you have to have a LOR from a Sr. Warrant? I heard something along the lines of they are waiving that right now do to the shortage but I havent actually seen it anywhere.

Only if you are active duty making the jump. For WOFT applicants, it isn't required but I **HIGHLY** recommend it. Just a hint for people looking to find a Senior Flight Warrant close to your home, check listing for your state's national guard units. It is quite easier to find them if you look to NG vs. Finding an Army base with a dedicated airfield.

Echo what Byte said above. I worked on getting a few really strong LORs from people who know me well. By the time I sat down with a Sr. Warrant my packet was already sent to qc at battalion level. Agreed to wait and see how first look goes since I already have four letters. If not picked up then I could come in for a more formal interview for potential letter. In hindsight I should've started working on finding a Sr. Warrant earlier in the process, live and learn.

Kind of have me worried now comparing that I don’t have a degree just college credits, and no flight time

The worrying will subside when you get picked up. The WOFT program is generally tailored towards applicants that haven't finished college, even though applicants with degrees will certainly still get picked up...I am not a good example as I was just about finished my degree + had a multitude of pilots licenses when I got picked up, but I also know that about 60%-90% of the WOFT applicants selected have zero flight time and around 60%-75% or higher have no bachelors...most do have some form of college credits though.....

The college thing isn't to important, but I will say having the credits is for sure beneficial. You'll be grinding towards your bachelors and masters once you make Warrant anyways...

Not having flight hours isn’t a problem. The Army will teach you to fly their way regardless of how experienced you are. You would be starting with a blank slate unlike others who might have old habits to break or difficulty adapting to the way the Army teaches, which is far different from the civilian world.

Not having flight hours isn’t a problem. The Army will teach you to fly their way regardless of how experienced you are. You would be starting with a blank slate unlike others who might have old habits to break or difficulty adapting to the way the Army teaches, which is far different from the civilian world.

I get what you are saying, really I do. But the last half is complete hogwash. For the candidates that don't have any flight time, don't fret to much. For the Candidates that do have flight time, it will help you bottom line.

Basic fundamentals of flight are universal. The nav charts don't change. Flight computers don't change. The physics of flight don't change just because you are flying in the Army. If you have flight time, you will have a *tiny* leg up once you get into flight school. This is more evident if you are instrument rated.

Please don't try to rationalize the idea that applicants with flight time is a negative thing just because you don't/didn't have any flight time yourself.

Although you don't need flight time, it will help you on the selection board. That is just reality.

I get what you are saying, really I do. But the last half is complete hogwash. For the candidates that don't have any flight time, don't fret to much. For the Candidates that do have flight time, it will help you bottom line.

Basic fundamentals of flight are universal. The nav charts don't change. Flight computers don't change. The physics of flight don't change just because you are flying in the Army. If you have flight time, you will have a *tiny* leg up once you get into flight school. This is more evident if you are instrument rated.

Please don't try and rationalize the idea that applicants with flight time is a negative thing just because you don't/didn't have any flight time yourself.

Although you don't need flight time, it will help you on the selection board. That is just reality.

I had over 200 hours and an instrument rating when I went to flight school, as did my stick buddy. It was a tiny leg up but it was also nothing that makes you a better aviator or student, especially after moving to your advanced airframes.

I had over 200 hours and an instrument rating when I went to flight school, as did my stick buddy. It was a tiny leg up but it was also nothing that makes you a better aviator or student, especially after moving to your advanced airframes.

Absolutely. I wasn't implying it makes you a Chuck Yeager or anything. Just that civilian flight time prior to IERW, at the very least, is not a negative thing.

This isn't to single you out directly, I just hear that talking point quite often because it sounds logical enough in theory, but in practice it doesn't hold water.

Its not a negative by any means, and probably means you dont have to study some aspects so hard, since you already have the prerequisite knowledge. However from what I saw, this was detrimental to their overall grade/standing since they didnt study as much as some of the newer folks, they were happy with not studying and pulling 94/95s on tests 89/90 on checkride, thats middle of the pack come OML/selection time is all Im saying.

Now if you go into it still trying to learn as much as possible, and treat it like your new, it will be an advantage, no doubt about it in my mind. I just didnt see that.