Setting yourself up for success (WOCS)

So I know I still have a while until I probably end up at Rucker but I'm curious. What were some academic things with wocs that you wish you had touched up on before going? I.e. Land nav, oral presentations, memorandums? I'm proficient at land nav but should I brush up? Is the course self correcting?

• Like 1

I'm fortunate enough to be at MFT right now with a CW3 TAC officer. I have been picking his brain the last few days obviously. Land Nav is not self correcting but he said it's not challenging if you just pay attention during the PE. I teach land nav constantly being a DS so I should be good there. He also mentioned not to volunteer as the student S-1. Hope that helps.

I'm fortunate enough to be at MFT right now with a CW3 TAC officer. I have been picking his brain the last few days obviously. Land Nav is not self correcting but he said it's not challenging if you just pay attention during the PE. I teach land nav constantly being a DS so I should be good there. He also mentioned not to volunteer as the student S-1. Hope that helps.

Lol I heard the moral officer just types up memos for everything. I'm sure student s-1 would lose said memos. That doesn't sound fun.
  • Like 2

My monthly drill is a WOCS prep. We do strictly graded APFTs, rucks, and land nav each time.

What you should be doing is practicing folding your t-shirts, making your bed, and hanging your uniforms in wall lockers.

And cadence

And PRT

And saying "Im gonna be a pilot" a thousand times a day to justify the stupidity

Morale/Coin/Sign/Photographer are all great additional duties

Dont do anything with an S in front of it.

Get good at perfect pushups

Quit caffeine and tobacco now

Sew everything onto your uniforms

Turn everything for alterations

Master your raking skills

• Like 1

What you should be doing is practicing folding your t-shirts, making your bed, and hanging your uniforms in wall lockers.

And cadence

And PRT

And saying "Im gonna be a pilot" a thousand times a day to justify the stupidity

Morale/Coin/Sign/Photographer are all great additional duties

Dont do anything with an S in front of it.

Get good at perfect pushups

Quit caffeine and tobacco now

Sew everything onto your uniforms

Turn everything for alterations

Master your raking skills

You leave the rank Velcro, correct? I'm getting my Velcro put back on this weekend.

Just show up, shut up, play their stupid games and remember it's all just a bad joke anyway. Be the assistant to one of the BS additional duties so you don't have to do much. Let the high speed tech warrant candidates who really want to be officers handle that.

Lmao that sounds like a plan.

Can confirm, whatever you do don't be S-1. I got stuck with it and it's a pretty awful additional duty. As others have said just play the games and don't try to stick out. Nothing in WOCS is all that hard, it's just a matter of getting through it and eventually you'll start the fun stuff in Primary.

I heard they're super strict on PT there, not that I think I'd fail or anything but if someone were to fail, do they get a second chance or are they just chaptered out? lol everyone has an off day, once in a while.

I heard they're super strict on PT there, not that I think I'd fail or anything but if someone were to fail, do they get a second chance or are they just chaptered out? lol everyone has an off day, once in a while.

It's not super strict, it's to standard. If you do the repition correctly it counts, if you don't, it doesn't. Plain and simple. If you fail it's because you didn't prepare properly and probably never should have been an NCO in the first place. My class had a few candidates who were previously senior NCOs fail the entry APFT and they were retested a few days later and then recycled or sent home.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are a couple of us freshly graduated from WOCS on here, feel free to ask questions...

Do I need to bring WOC ranks? I saw some videos where the candidates were wearing sewn on Name tape and us army but Velcro rank. Is that what they require for all the constant shinnanigans?

Do I need to bring WOC ranks? I saw some videos where the candidates were wearing sewn on Name tape and us army but Velcro rank. Is that what they require for all the constant shinnanigans?

Velcro rank is a must. Doublecheck 670-1 on whether you can have sewn on name/Army with velcro rank, I can’t remember if it’s an all or nothing deal.

I just graduated last week in the same class with Wheelsup. Like he said, ask any questions and those of us that are fresh out of WOCS will help where we can. With that, don't buy your own WOC rank. It will be given to you at HHC, and then when you go "across the street" to 1st WOCS. You can have your other stuff sewn up. That is optional. WOCS is an exception for having all sewn on stuff except the rank. I had the rest of my uniforms sewn up. It saves time, which you have very little of, when getting ready in the mornings after PRT. As for the APFT, just do your push ups correctly. Not one single TAC Officer is there to fail you. They just expect correct form; after all, you are assessing to be an officer. If there are any other questioms, don't hesitate to ask.

Velcro rank is a must. Doublecheck 670-1 on whether you can have sewn on name/Army with velcro rank, I cant remember if its an all or nothing deal.

Sew on your name/army leave rank Velcro, for WOCS. After that, sew on rank. If you dont have them sewn on you have to remove them every night its a pain.

Velcro rank is a must. Doublecheck 670-1 on whether you can have sewn on name/Army with velcro rank, I can’t remember if it’s an all or nothing deal.

Yeah 670-1 will not help you at WOCS, they have all kinds of weird rules.

like everyone said, sew on US and nametape and have the velcro patch back on before you even report (and just wear your current rank until they tell you otherwise).

I'm at wocs right now, making good use of these phone rights lol. Your gonna be wrong pretty much every day for a couple days before they start to let up. The most recent 5 week course got over 300 spot reports on D-Day lol lots of tac probation. It's a good time haha

• Like 1