• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Perepies

Perepies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 15:03

i'm not an expert here, but i would say that should have done full down autorotations before his first solo flight! but i'm not sure what are the requirements nowadays, someone can chime in?

#22 RotorDude_Riley

RotorDude_Riley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 16:48

I think that students should be shown a full-down before they begin autorotation training. I say this because they need to know what flight profile they'll really need, should they truly have an engine failure. The books and power recoveries just don't teach that!

#23 johnnyb

johnnyb

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 13:08

Should a student have done full down autorotations before his first solo flight rather than "only" autorotations with power recovery?

Yes. Multiple times.

Having done some gives that student at least -some- chance of surviving an actual forced landing.

"You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back."

#24 helicodger pilot

helicodger pilot

ATP Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 19:38

What's grass?

In Colorado it's legal, but in the United States, it's not... ???

"I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right"

#25 Boatpix

Boatpix

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 23:02

Helicopters are designed to land on the skid shoes under the skids and landing  to a hard surface.  Anything other than a hard surface like asphalt or concrete increases risks and who wants to increase risks? 

If you are flying a ancient era helicopter like a Bell, Brantly, Enstrom, Hughes and driving your ancient Studebaker or Oldsmobile over to the flight school remember to train to the minimum standards for the private rating and then move onto commercial rating.  If your instructor wants to do all sorts of advanced stuff to show you how knowledgeable he is maybe you should seek an FAR Part 141 with a syllabus and a training course outline to keep the CFI on track and get done in minimum time.  Also look at what the hourly cost of that old beater helicopter is as those are a lot thirstier and a lot more maintenance intensive and this is usually thrust upon the student in increased costs.   It's great to hark back on the good old days of yore with what grandpa did before the war but you need to prepare yourself for a job in the Google, Uber, Toyota world and that's going to mean getting your time in Robinson Helicopters which is where the jobs are.

The OP asked about full downs and wait for that until the CFI class.

Tom McDermott, manager
HelicopterAcademy.com/BOATPIX

#26 Thedude

Thedude

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 23:28

The OP asked about full downs and wait for that until the CFI class.

The Army expected its pilots to be proficient at touchdown autos from the pattern at 38hrs when primary flight training was still in TH-67s/Bell 206s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Content Spy

Heli Aviation FT200JerryTrimble702HeliVRFT200UNDVRFTForum200Arkansas Helicopters VR FT200VOLO_VRFT200Precision_FTForum200LORD_VRGeneral200Anthelion_VRFTForum200GuidanceVRFTForum200