Pilot map usage

Bsco66

Looking for some info on flying with maps. I've taken a few classes and have a few hours built and was wondering how often the paper map is used vs. digital? I've seen pilots use an ipad for the aviation map before and wondered if that is acceptable?

The reason I ask is because I am borderline color blind. I can identify all the colors while flying the only issue I have is with the map being so bland. I can see the digital version of the map with 0 difficulty and would like to find a way to make this flying thing work out for me. whether its possible for me to print out my own version of the maps with more vibrant color or being able to use a digital version on my tablet.

I am in a position to setup an appointment to take a medical flight test and OCVT test to prove I can see the colors and put this whole issue to rest but the map has been my achilles heel.

• Like 2

Color blindness will be an issue you'll need to address with your FAA medical certificate.

The use of digital charts is increasingly common.

The past few years, I haven't had any paper charts on board; everything is digital.

Programs such as Foreflight have increasingly taken over as primary means of navigational data, especially in light aircraft. Now with Foreflight offering Jepp products and global IFR, it's going to see a much greater market share.

• Like 1

that lifts my spirits significantly. I have been looking at the map in agony for a long time and never even thought to look at a digital version. The second I did I couldn't believe how clear the colors were as opposed to the faa printed map.

Thank you for the information, hopefully being able to see the digital map will be enough for me to prove I can safely fly.

• Like 1

You plan a route, perhaps draw a course line, fold the chart(s) so that shows the route with the least manipulation- done. If I regularly fly in a certain area, I will cut that area from the chart and laminate it, much easier to handle. Yes, I ALWAYS have a current chart with me...

The purpose of the chart isn't to show you where you are, it shows you what and where everything around you. Paper scales never change, never break.

Can you read light gun signals?

I have yet to actually see them in person but from doing research (watching videos and what I know about my personal colorblind issues) I don't foresee this to be a problem. I've never had real trouble seeing colors but I cannot do the ishihara test. The FAA sectionals are the only thing that have ever made me actually feel colorblind, it's the only thing that has ever actually looked like the colors are the same(the key blue and maroon is what I can't see on it. Otherwise I can read the map fine)

Use some caution when you go for your medical. If you fail a demonstration test (tower light signal test), you'll face a permanent restriction on your medical. You're far better off seeking an examiner who can give you a Farnsworth Lantern test. There are only a few in the country who can do that, but if there's a chance you'll have a problem with color vision, you'll want to go that route.

https://www.leftseat.com/colorvision.htm

You may also want to check out myflightsurgeon.com. They do offer a full battery of tests to fit your needs, including the Farnsworth lantern test.

http://myflightsurgeon.com/Farnsworth.html

Edited by avbug
  • Like 1

I've known a few colorblind pilots in the past and learned of some ways to distinguish airspace on a chart without using the colors. For example, Class E and D airspace...Class D will have the upper limit of the airspace charted within the airspace circle, along with the CT Frequency...class E will not...unless you happen to have a Class E with a control tower.

Edited by crashed_05
  • Like 1

I personally use foreflight almost exclusively and don't use paper charts, but you will run the risk of examiners insisting on quizzing off of paper charts or "failing" your iPad on a flight exam. Not to mention all of the computer knowledge tests preps that use photos of sectionals for reference.

• Like 1

I wish I had a nickel for every time I asked a Loran/GPS pilot what those numbers meant? Where was so-and-so compared to such-and-such? Blank looks unless they'd made that leg often enough to know heading and distance... What are the coordinates for this base, the base you've been flying in and out of? Lat/Long was sanskrit as far as they knew. I can work lat/long range and bearing on a calculator, it's not hard. I speakuh duh language.

Don't get me wrong- I LOVE a moving map and GPS, especially with weather overlays. Haven't and will never fly with visual depicted terrain... But that's for this leg, not the divert or just bugging out. I don't fertz around with the nav box it just to see what's where- look at the chart, This far is a half hour in this pig (hand span thumb to forefinger), I can eyeball the distant exits, where the best diverts are, put the chart down and continue the march. Quick , easy, reliable. No FAA problems ever- I have my own chart subscription, and it goes in the bag as soon as it's delivered. The company may get a fine...

Paper and writing device work. That's why you write clearances, etc. down.

Calculators make you stupid if you can't pencil and paper it.

Computers make you think you know something. You know what it was then... That's history.

Relying on nav boxes eventually means only the box is navigating.

If you can't do it without the device, you still can't do it with the device. The technology should make you more efficient, not enable you.

• Like 3