Helicopter AcademyUpperLimit2011General_468x60TigerTugsVRForumGen468VOLO_VRGeneral468
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Automation in cars is bad enough, but now they're going after my beloved 22!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 16 October 2017 - 19:03

I didn't spend all those training flights nervously awaiting the next throttle chop, only to have that quick instinctive reaction I developed replaced by a machine!

• TeoerryNug likes this
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#2 zippiesdrainage

zippiesdrainage

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Company working for:AEL

Posted 16 October 2017 - 19:37

So what happens when a nervous student death grips the throttle and gets low rotor? It seems great for engine failures but would create a big mess in the seats for overly nervous pilots
  • TomPPL likes this

"A mind that is stretched by a new experience, can never go back to its old dimensions"- Unknown

#3 adam32

adam32

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Company working for:Just keeping the bills paid!!

Posted 16 October 2017 - 22:43

Cool video but it will never get an STC.
  • TomPPL likes this

#4 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 00:40

In an auto when you are going for range, you pull the revs down until the horn beeps - and this thing snaps it to the floor??

It better have an easily-over-ridden clutch or there will be a lot of accidents of machines dropping out of the atmosphere.

You can't legislate against stupidity, and you can't make an R-22 idiot-proof. Starting the engine proves that.

• adam32 and TomPPL like this

#5 WolftalonID

WolftalonID

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Flying, helicopters, back country, archery elk hunting, wood working!
  • Company working for:Rocky Mountain Rotors - Chief Instructor/135 Pilot

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:47

Cool video but it will never get an STC.

This is already STC approved and available. This device is actually pretty nice and well thought out. See this video.

https://youtu.be/qiZrk76zXfM

Edited by WolftalonID, 17 October 2017 - 08:56.

• TomPPL likes this
Sometimes we think we know it all....only later to discover we only knew all we had learned. Never stop learning.

#6 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:15

Well, for a nice bit of irony, at least half the 22's I've flown over the years already have collectives that creep down on their own if I let go!

,...the other half creep up! :D
  • TomPPL, WolftalonID and mcarriere like this
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#7 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:27

Not an Robbie driver, so I can't comment on the specifics of this device.  I understand that Robinsons are very efficient, delivering more speed than comparable recip helos.  At a high cruise, in a lot of helicopters, the critical initial action after a power failure is an attitude pitch up, reversing the disk as a whole's relative airflow quickly, minimizing the RPM decay and loss of altitude in recovering to a stable autorotation.  Is this the case in Robinsons?

This thing looks like the throttle kicker that was installed on TH55s while I was a basic IP.  I hated that thing kicking the throttle back on an already overloaded student...  

• TomPPL likes this

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

#8 ARM_Coder

ARM_Coder

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 14:12

In an auto when you are going for range, you pull the revs down until the horn beeps - and this thing snaps it to the floor??

It better have an easily-over-ridden clutch or there will be a lot of accidents of machines dropping out of the atmosphere.

You can't legislate against stupidity, and you can't make an R-22 idiot-proof. Starting the engine proves that.

The pilot can override the mechanism as its pull is not that strong. Their website shows this.

https://www.helitrak...ctive-pull-down

Maybe the worst problem here is an engine failure close to the ground, when you really don't want the collective going full down in a split second. You will definitely need a new set of skids (and maybe a few new vertebrae too).

Cheers!

• TomPPL likes this

#9 adam32

adam32

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Company working for:Just keeping the bills paid!!

Posted 17 October 2017 - 21:36

Sounds freaking stupid for a training helicopter...get students used to not having to fly the machine then when they get out in real life and have an engine failure at 100 feet over the tree tops they will be sitting there waiting for the little contraption to lower the collective for them...
  • TomPPL likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

PrecisionVRForumGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200ColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200HeliHelmetsDevoreGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200Able_VRGeneral200PBH_HeliHarbor200_GeneralGenesys VRForum200_General