Sheriff Aviation Units

Los Angeles County is the first that comes to mind:

Presently the LASD Aero Bureau operates a total of 18 helicopters making it the largest fleet of helicopters operated by any Sheriff's Department in the U.S. This would be appropriate since the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department is the largest sheriff's department in the world with over 8,500 sworn deputies and another 5,800 civilian employees.

-From their website

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Wannabepilot12: I answer the phone for my HelicopterAcadem.com and I take a lot of calls for people that want to fly for a police department. I also am currently training a police department in one of my R44’s and those officers are getting trained for free apparently because they trust those individuals. Trust seems to be key here. If you are not in a police department now and you have no money for training I would suggest you joint a department that has helicopters and has a history of hiring lowtime pilots. Where do you live and our “experts” on this forum will show you a lot more personalized service and knowledge in your area than you might be prepared for.

• 4 months later...

Things will get interesting here in the next 10 years...all of the airlines are sucking up the military helo guys...i imagine that pilot jobs in just about all facets of helo aviation will end up creating opportunities for no or low time pilots looking to make a career...

Very good insight there, you think we'll see more civ-to-LE pilot postings?

• Like 1

Maybe? Although I can say from experience. Typically a great street cop makes a great LEO pilot. Understanding the mission, perimeters, pursuits, 10 codes etc... I think you will see more postings in general... Time will tell.

Absolutely...we had a Fla Natl Guard pilot who was on the eligibilty list and next to come up to the unit. He works for Envoy now lol

All of the regionals have ATP-R programs specifically geared toward military helo pilots...and im guessing that a job as a 757 Captain making big money will be more attractive that a job making 70k flying EMS in the mid-west. And since most of the helo pilots come from military backgrounds, there will be a major shortage of helicopter pilots sometime in the next 10 years. I've already noticed alot of external LE postings on JSFirm and RotorcraftPro already...think its just a foreshadowing of things to come

I worked for a state police dept air wing. We only hired high-time experienced pilots from outside the force, because of the range of operations we did. The pilots all went through the academy training and emerged in blue suits, but went straight to the air wing. They were guided by 2 experienced police observers, and it didn't take long for the pilots to pick up exactly what the observers wanted, and had the skills to put the machine exactly where it was needed. They also had the experience to say "No!" in places where a more enthusiastic junior-pilot-but-seasoned-cop might want to have a go.

Horses for courses.

I worked for a state police dept air wing. We only hired high-time experienced pilots from outside the force, because of the range of operations we did. The pilots all went through the academy training and emerged in blue suits, but went straight to the air wing. They were guided by 2 experienced police observers, and it didn't take long for the pilots to pick up exactly what the observers wanted, and had the skills to put the machine exactly where it was needed. They also had the experience to say "No!" in places where a more enthusiastic junior-pilot-but-seasoned-cop might want to have a go.

Horses for courses.

I have heard of agencies doing this as well. However, If they went through an academy then by the time they flew for the unit, they were cops not civilians. Most academies are 6 months and then your ride with a FTO for another 6 mo. I've worked with both. My current agency has a 50/50 mix of civilian and LEO pilots. It seems like a good formula and works for us. Also, i've seen low time pilots fly way safer than seasoned veterans who get over confident or complacent as they become more comfortable with the mission. Just my 2 cents.

Lol...no doubt...that, and civilian pilots hang around until a better offer comes around. Officers usually stick around for the long term because they want the pension. Very unlikely an established unit of significant size doesnt already have experienced pilots to train the new ones...

That, and you dont have to worry about the non-sworn pilot refusing to go because the suspect has a rifle.

• Like 1