Air jet helicopter

steveh

Greetings,

I'm new here so hello everyone.

I just came across this video of a helicopter that uses compressed air to drive the rotors rather than a shaft. It looks great , so why isn't it in production ? Are there any drawbacks in design, or just inertia from the industry ?

• Like 2

Here is some discussion on it: https://www.quora.com/Why-are-tip-jet-helicopters-so-rare-even-though-it-doesnt-seem-very-complex-and-would-work-fine-with-current-engines-like-turbines-or-any-kind-of-compressor

Basically, engineering complexities leading to high costs, very high amount of noise produced, and low fuel efficiencies are the major drawbacks, with few advantages to offset these disadvantages.

Suggest you look at Pegasus helicopters, there are posts on this site also the web site(google)

The Sud-Oust Djin was the only machine of this type to reach service I think

I forgot about the Djinn. The Fairey Rotodyne was not strictly speaking a helicopter, but my memory is that they were both LOUD! not fuel efficient. Having nozzle mass at the tips would provide excellent rotor inertia in the auto...