• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cts484

cts484

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 14:26

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice.  I am a civilian and I was accepted into WOFT.  I leave in January for BCT.  My fiancee and I are trying to decide when to get married.  We would like to have our wedding right after WOCS.  Is that practical?

Should we consider getting legally married before BCT and having the wedding after WOCS during the 10 day moving period?  From what I have read on the forums and from researching online, the biggest benefit with getting married before BCT is moving into married housing after WOCS, PCS move, BAH pay, separation pay, and medical insurance.

Does anyone have any other perspectives, experience, or advice?  Thanks!

• TeoerryNug likes this

#2 UH60MCE

UH60MCE

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:40

Most entitlements in the Army are based on with dependents, or without dependents. Obviously, the former offers the most benefit to the service member. The Army doesnt recognize fiancés as a dependent- youre either married or youre not.

You need to consider the fiscal responsibility of moving yourself and your family after Basic Training. If you choose not to get legally married on paper before Basic Training, your household goods weight allotment will be based on whatever you alone are authorized to move. There are many variables- but you nailed most of them in your original post.

My recommendation would be to get married on paper before you go to Basic Training (no family members have to know- you guys can still have a normal wedding ceremony). This will allow your spouse to be fiscally supported while youre away, as you receive BAH and BAS for whatever zip code she resides in.
  • Hebertaviation likes this

#3 Creep0321

Creep0321

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:14

Agreed. Its what I did, prior to a deployment, with a full wedding ceremony on the back end.

Swift, Silent, Deadly.

#4 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 17:41

Get married before you go to BCT.

#5 StockTrader

StockTrader

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, Baseball, Helicopters
  • Company working for:CW2, US Army, 64 Driver

Posted 07 November 2017 - 18:55

Got married on paper right after wocs and planned our wedding for right after selection due to the bubbles at the time. The timing worked well for me but your mileage may vary.

#6 cts484

cts484

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 20:26

Thank you all for sharing your experience and advice!

#7 Luofynerd

Luofynerd

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Company working for:U.S. ARMY- AH-64D/E Technical Inspector

Posted 09 November 2017 - 23:31

Don't do it. Stay single.
  • dukun8ter and UnchainedJay like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WOCS, Wedding, Married

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

DevoreHome200Genesys VR Forum 200HeliHelmets-VR HomeColoradoHeliOpsHome200NFCVRForum200HomeAble_VRHOme200PBH_HeliHarbor200MaunaLoaVRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200