Looking to fly Army--Guard to Warrant or Active Duty WOFT?

Hi,

I'm currently a Junior in High School looking to get a head start on figuring out what I need to do to fly for the Army. I've been doing a bunch of research, and talking to my local national guard recruiter--she is encouraging me to enlist in the National Guard into an aviation unit and build time until I can submit a packet and become a warrant officer and pilot, etc. I've heard a lot of good things about going active duty through WOFT , "street to seat", as well.

My main question is: What, from experience, seems to be the best overall route, and which one leads to more flight time? Thanks, I look forward to reading your responses!

--Mike

• Like 1

Recruiters love the “enlist and then work on your packet” line as that makes their life easy. They get one more person in for their quota and don’t have to do any of the extra work. If you want to fly do a WOFT/street to seat packet and see what happens. The worst is that you won’t be selected and then you can make the choice to enlist and try again later if you want. It will also let you get a full flight physical prior to any commitment so you’ll find out if you have any disqualifying conditions. You wouldn’t know that until it was too late if you enlisted and then tried to submit a packet a few years down the line.

Recruiters love the “enlist and then work on your packet” line as that makes their life easy. They get one more person in for their quota and don’t have to do any of the extra work. If you want to fly do a WOFT/street to seat packet and see what happens. The worst is that you won’t be selected and then you can make the choice to enlist and try again later if you want. It will also let you get a full flight physical prior to any commitment so you’ll find out if you have any disqualifying conditions. You wouldn’t know that until it was too late if you enlisted and then tried to submit a packet a few years down the line.

Thanks for the info! If I were to apply for WOFT during my senior year of high school then, would it be through a normal active duty recruiter? I've heard they typically aren't very good with the packets. Is there a special recruiter or something?

Hi,

I'm currently a Junior in High School looking to get a head start on figuring out what I need to do to fly for the Army. I've been doing a bunch of research, and talking to my local national guard recruiter--she is encouraging me to enlist in the National Guard into an aviation unit and build time until I can submit a packet and become a warrant officer and pilot, etc. I've heard a lot of good things about going active duty through WOFT , "street to seat", as well.

My main question is: What, from experience, seems to be the best overall route, and which one leads to more flight time? Thanks, I look forward to reading your responses!

--Mike

I dont think youd get street to seat with the guard without a degree and/or aviation experience.

Your best bet for street to seat is active duty, but if you decide to take the enlistment option, either route works. Enlisting in the Guard would allow you to work on a degree full time to make your selection even more likely.

I dont think youd get street to seat with the guard without a degree and/or aviation experience.

Your best bet for street to seat is active duty, but if you decide to take the enlistment option, either route works. Enlisting in the Guard would allow you to work on a degree full time to make your selection even more likely.

“Street to seat” is the application and selection of a candidate with no military service. He would not be street to seat if he enlists in either the guard or active duty army. A degree and aviation experience is a very small, mostly insignificant data point in regards to selection.

Good afternoon all! If there are any CWO's on here, I would certainly appreciate some feedback w/ my application. I'm AD E-6, USN located in Florida looking to stay Active Duty. I'm almost ready to submit the application but need help getting some interviews. I've got a DD368, good 1st Class Flight Phys, just took the SIFT and wow did I over-prepare for the WRONG stuff...

Happy to give feedback to those curious about the SIFT