Post 9/11 to be used without degree program?

RagMan

I'm not up to date with any changes that may have happened with the Post 9/11 GI Bill since I finished all of my training in 2013, or how those benefits can be used. I'm curious if the VA still requires you to be enrolled in a degree program to utilize your Post 9/11 benefits, or if they lifted that.

Will they allow you to utilize your benefits without a degree program these days? (ie: if I wanted to go take a mountain flying course with a school in an Md-500, or go get additional training with a 206 doing VR/LL.)

I still have benefits to use, and during these couple off months, id like to be able to continue to use those benefits to go get some additional training if its possible.

And don't tell me to call the VA. Those jokers couldn't find a hole in the bottom of the sea (anyone remember that cadence? ha!)

• Like 2

I belive you can still use them without a degree progm but some different rules apply. There is a cap to it that is, or was, around 10,000. I could be off on my numbers, it has been a few years since I dealt with all this shenanigens. The school and program still have to be approved through the VA as well.

"VA offers flight training benefits to those who want to advance their pilot qualifications. You must have a private pilots license and valid medical certification before you start training. Payments are issued after the training is completed and the school submits your enrollment information to VA.

Type of Assistance

Flight training is available for the following and other types of qualifications:

• Rotary wing
  • B747-400
  • Dual engine
  • Flight engineer

Payment Amounts Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Payments for flight training vary based on which type of flight training course and what kind of school you are enrolled in:

• If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a public institution of higher education you can be reimbursed up to the public school in-state cost of the training and receive a monthly housing allowance and books-and-supplies stipend.
  • If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a private institution of higher education you can be reimbursed up to the full cost of the training or the national maximum (currently $19,198.31) per academic year, whichever is less. You may also receive a monthly housing allowance and books-and-supplies stipend. See if your school participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which may apply for those enrolled in degree programs.
  • If you are enrolled in a vocational flight training program you can be reimbursed the lesser of these two costs in effect the day you began training in your flight course
    1. Full cost of training
    2. Annual maximum amount of training (see annual maximum amount)

You will not receive a housing allowance or the books-and-supplies stipend. The maximum amount available for reimbursement depends on the academic year you begin training."

https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/flight_training.asp

Edited by crashed_05

I'll look into the Vocational flight training that Crashed_05 posted. That route may not require an individual to be seeking a degree program to have some flight training costs covered.

Once a Veteran starts to use the Post 9/11 Bill benefits, he/she can not revert back to the regular montgomery G.I Bill. At least thats what the VA told me once upon a time.