Wake up dammit!

r22butters

Its pretty sad when I have to go to pprune to find a good "entertaining" discussion!

What happened to this place, it used to be so active? I can understand old guys getting tired of it and leaving, but where's the new blood? Are they all on twitter now, or something?

Remember "Fudging the logbook",...now that was a good one! Seems like those days are gone,...

,...for good?

:(

• Like 1

In my experience most people have no clue about message boards or forum's. Almost every one of my student's, coworkers, boss's never heard of this forum.

My student's where completely clueless to how the helicopter industry typically goes or the wealth of knowledge you can find on here.

I've got an idea for a new thread, just gotta find the time to write it up.

• Like 1

I run what used to be a busy forum in an unrelated industry, started it (and the website that goes with it) way back in 1997. I also see a reduction in traffic.

The reason? ...Social media created laziness.

An increasing number of users want fast, direct info directly from their Facebook log ins. If its not on a timeline somewhere they aren't interested. Any helpful info posted on social media is normally buried within a short period of time, leading to the same types of questions being answered again and again and again. If they cant get info they need in 5 seconds flat they forget it and move on - they may be accessing from a bus, park bench, traffic jam etc and literally haven't got time to hang about.

Forums such as this are the best way by far of getting detailed information on their subject matter. All posts are indexed by the search engines and are available for many years to anyone that wants to spend a little time to view them.

I see countless users coming into our forum amazed at the level of information just waiting for them at their finger tips, the light then suddenly dawns on them that they've been totally cocooned inside their own little Facebook echo chambers.

The solution? Ah, that's the million dollar question - let me know if anyone has any ideas...

Never saw this as the place for "entertaining" discussion, that's JH to me. This was always the place for honest, civil discussion. A place for people with legitimate questions to get help. Not too many newbies finding this place I suppose. On top of that as I get further into the middle of my career I have less and less faith that my experiences at the early stepping stone jobs have any resemblance to what still goes on there, so not too sure I could even provide help if I wanted to.

Other than that, what is there to talk about? Company gossip? Don't really want that to leave the company, and that's more of a JH thing anyhow. Flying/job questions? The further I get into my HAA career the fewer questions I have, combined with the more contacts I have that I can talk to person to person instead of throwing my question out into the ether. Nonsense? That's what JH is all about.

Seems like the military forums are always bustling with activity, you could always jump in there and see how it goes.

Sadly I have zero interest in military helicopters!

Another thing I do find strange is that we never really get any reviews or updates on the industry from those who go to HeliSuccess? Surely they know of this forum,...right? I mean there's like two hundred people who go to that (and when I went the vast majority was under a thousand hours) yet we got, what,...one attendee's experience!

As for JH, yeah that place can definitely be "entertaining", but you can't ever ask a serious question there! After a while I just gave up and decided to just join in on the insanity,...then I got banished!

I guess I had gotten too "entertaining" :( :D

• Like 1

It seems this forum is more about US guys trying to get jobs in the sector. PPrune is a bunch of old guys who have worked in the sector. Unfortunate for both it's not a great sector business/money wise, but these are really the only two helicopter forums out there.

Sadly there is no forum geared to private owners/pilots.

Silver State's collapse dried this place up. Two-thirds of the posts are military or WOFT stuff now, the occasional pilot ETSing(?) looking for insight in civvie flying. r22butters is a fossil, very few nuggets around these days.

I like the pprune rotorheads forum but it's an different thing entirely. Brits are a major demographic in that population, argue chapter and verse, want to know why "The Rules" didn't prevent X, Y or Z. There are occasional authorities posting there, but that forum declined significantly with the energy contracts.

• Like 1

I too greatly prefer forums over FaceSpace... You can learn so much more reading a forum. I feel dumber after browsing MyFace and Twatter. Hate to see declining traffic here. Also hate to see declining traffic at the local airport too! We need to come up with solutions to both.

• Like 1

This place is boring. Sure, the military section is bustling but it's all newbies talking about minutiae of Warrant Officer packets. The general discussion section seems to be avbug vs the trolls. And everything else is just plain dead.

Anyways, I'm spending my days over at Airline Pilot Central.

Last time this place came up at work, sitting around having beers after work - the majority of the conversation revolved around two guys that went to school with a fairly prominent poster telling us how he was the guy at school who when their student was struggling they pointed to him and said "if he can do it anyone can" and this guy posts here like he is some kind of guru or something, hahaha.

there's really no reason to post if you use the search button. most everything has been answered in a professional and intelligent manner by Gomer Pylot. or there are other reputable posters if his flavor doesn't work for you, like Wally for example

i guess we could argue about settling with power vs power settling or how to log time in your logbook but all that does is get everybody's panties in a wad and the people who need the information the most still ignore what Chief Counsel opinion letters and interpret it how they want anyhow so whats the point of that?

the forums, like a good ol transistor radio, while it will be missed it had its time

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 2