WOFT Flight physical

Been in the shadows researching a little over a year now. Finally making head way on my packet, and having a few concerns, figured I would post and see what the experienced collective here have to say.

I took the SIFT this morning and scored a 76. I've been working with my recruiter since Feb17. Everything has been going slow but well in my packet process. The last month a new station chief moved in and since then my recruiter has been adamantly voicing concerns that I will not be accepted and should go enlisted so I don't waste anyone's time. I'd just like to ask if I'm being naive for thinking I'll be good or if their sudden change of mind bears truth.

MEPS physical no waivers

LASIK aug16 no issues

SIFT 76

GT 121

Haven't officially ran APFT but should be at least 270-280

6 years USMCR 1371 got out as E5

no college

Do have a VA claim that has been passed thru MEPS and was seen as no issue.

Recruiter believes the VA and my LASIK will be an issue for the flight physical.

• Like 1

Depends on the results of your eyes surgery. Recommend that you refer your recruiter to AR 40-501, para. 2-12, c., (2). It would be the flight surgeons job to interpret the results of your eye surgery.

LASIK used to be non-waiverable; PRK was the only authorized refractive surgery. From what I understand, as long as it meets the requirements in the aforementioned regulation and paragraph, its waiverable. Its not a recruiters job to say yes or no, its a flight docs.

Sounds like your recruiter is being a recruiter -- I have a 30% rating for back/knees and hearing. Got a waiver from the NGB in like a week, and my 1W flight physical went through in 2 weeks with no waivers or ETPs or requests for imaging or anything. Not sure on the vision, but lasik in general doesn't seem to be a problem unless by some chance you fell out of the parameters. I see zero reason why your recruiter wouldn't push you down this path as far as you could go -- unless of course they just want to make mission.

You were in the USMC, so you know how it goes: Only you care about your career. I wouldn't "enlist first" active duty and hope to get WOFT from there.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Looking at that and the paperwork I have on my LASIK, everything should be in check.

Good to hear from someone who had a VA claim prior. I haven't been able to dig up anything on that. The MEPS doctor passed me without concern after looking at my paperwork. Hopefully a flight surgeon will do the same.

Flight physical is the only thing out of my hands. If that goes well I feel confident about the rest other than lack of college making me less competitive. Hopefully everything else can offset that.

• Like 1

From what i've heard recruiters just push to enlist because it's easier for them. I was told by a friend to not let them mess with you and don't sign anything unless they give you exactly what you want. It's their job to help YOU.

If you don't mind me asking, did you get LASIK because you were told by the doc that you had to or because you already knew beforehand and wanted to get it out of the way?

I know one of my eyes is over the threshold so I'll have to get PRK or LASIK. Both eyes most likely, just to get it over with and not need glasses.

I personally had the LASIK back in January 2016. I did the 1,3,6, and 12 month check ups then ended up getting my flight physical in May 2017. I passed the flight physical with no issues nor waivers, and I was a first-time select (start WOCS in Feb). You can apply free of waivers with LASIK. I'm living proof.

I considered going enlisted if WOFT completely fails but now I'm set on WOFT or nothing. My recruiter didn't seem too fond of that but those are a dime a dozen around here.

Dude, As a person who went through the WOFT program recently, I can very credibly tell you not to listen to your recruiter whine and complain about doing his job. It is a combination of laziness and disinformation that drives recruiters to say stupid sh*t like what you were told.

I was pressured constantly to enlist first and then apply. It ain't that easy to do by the way. I also changed recruiters 3 times, changed station 1 time, got the recruiting battalion commander and the XO of MEPS involved after being lied to 2 times about SIFT test dates pushing me back 2 months; not scheduling my Flight physical, or allowing me to do it myself....I was even told by my recruiter to "File a Congressional" after sitting around for 4 months wondering why no one submitted my flight physical to Rucker for a stamp...Mind you, this all happened over the course of 14 months prior to the board.

If you have issues, call a meeting with the recruiting company commander. It really is that simple, but don' threaten your recruiter before you do it, just get the email, explain the issue and kindly ask if he/she will meet with you to resolve the issue.

Turns out, Mid level NCOs tend to work harder if their commander ask them nicely. Its your career, your life. Take control of it, but make sure you are solid and have credible complaints first.

• Like 1

I was a recruiter (2013-2016) and had a few people come in about WOFT. Only 1 was qualified, street to seat. And we did everything in our power to get him in. Good kid. High school senior, 18 years old, but highly motivated, already had his PPL, Pt stud, the whole 9, no law, no med. One of the other recruiters even had to go TDY and drive the guy 9 hours to get his flight physical. It's a little more work than regular enlistment packets, but nothing that's too crazy. No one in the office had ever done a WOFT packet so there were some speed bumps along the way, but we figured it out.

Most recruiters don't wanna do the work, or are just uninformed on how to do so. We didn't learn about WOFT packets in recruiter school and they are kinda rare. Also, some recruiters don't wanna do the work, OR don't wanna do all the work if the person won't agree to go enlisted if they do not make it. It is the recruiters job to put people in the Army and if you have stipulations about enlisting, most don't want to deal with you. I've been in their shoes and understand. But it's also not hard to put a packet in once you've enlisted as well.

WITH THAT BEING SAID...if he won't help you, just go find another recruiting office that will help you. IT'S THEIR JOB. I did a lot of sh*t that I did not want to do when I was a recruiter, but it was my job. Would help if you already had your entire packet ready and all required paperwork complete when you went though so they know you're serious and are more inclined to help. Double and triple check it. No typos or silly stuff like that.

Also, I had LASIK in 2010, my packet went through just fine. Didn't need a waiver or anything for it. As long as your eyes are good, you're good.

I haven't by any means threatened. If it comes done to it I'll file a complaint thru the proper channels but hopefully not.

I more or less just wanted to double check that that I am eligible and will be competitive. Don't want to be chasing a ghost dream. I was fairly confident up until the recruiter started talking like this. He just kind of made me over think it I guess.

Once I get my flight physical stamped I know an aviator and should be able to get good LORs. How will no college effect my packet? The head recruiter straight up told me "it's not gonna happen with no college." I know it's not required just curious how much impact it has on the packet.

I haven't by any means threatened. If it comes done to it I'll file a complaint thru the proper channels but hopefully not.

I more or less just wanted to double check that that I am eligible and will be competitive. Don't want to be chasing a ghost dream. I was fairly confident up until the recruiter started talking like this. He just kind of made me over think it I guess.

Once I get my flight physical stamped I know an aviator and should be able to get good LORs. How will no college effect my packet? The head recruiter straight up told me "it's not gonna happen with no college." I know it's not required just curious how much impact it has on the packet.

If it's not a requirement, it's not a requirement. Yes, college would help you become more competitive, but you're not DQ because of it. Not sure how the Battalion selection boards work, but they may ask you why you don't have college.

With the increase in pilot retention and recruiting these days, you could have a peg leg and still get a waiver for it. It is up to the Flight Surgeon and the FS alone to give you a yay or nay when it comes to eligibility. You also meet with an Optometrist during the course of your flight physical.

• 5 weeks later...

Is there any way to knock out part 1 and part 2 to the flight physical in the same day? My recruiter told me I need to go in for part 1 and wait a few weeks and then go back for part 2?

Also, does anyone know what part 2 is?

Thank you for the information in advance!

Negative. I tried very hard to make it possible to knock out both part 1 and part 2 on the same day. I work a full time job so it's annoying to have to use your FTO hours to drive all over Gods green earth. Unfortunately, it's near impossible to avoid. The 1st part is where you'll do your eye exam, EKG, and blood work. After that all comes back good, they'll book you to see the flight surgeon who will look over all your paperwork and do one last look-over to make sure that you're file is good to go before he sends his stamp of approval off to Rucker. He has a busy schedule and sees so many patients that they can't just book you in one visit even though that would make the most sense.

Is there any way to knock out part 1 and part 2 to the flight physical in the same day? My recruiter told me I need to go in for part 1 and wait a few weeks and then go back for part 2?

Also, does anyone know what part 2 is?

Thank you for the information in advance!

It is possible. I knocked out both for my WOFT packet in one day. Part 1 should be your eye screening and bloodwork stuff. Part 2 is face to face time with the doc.

Unfortunately I have to go back to redo my blood work. I've heard the returns can take a couple months depending on their workload.

Thats insane. My cut off date is the 29th. Interviews are Feb. 5th. Im trying to stay on top of them to make sure I hit that date. What did you have to go back to do blood work for??

Unfortunately I have to go back to redo my blood work. I've heard the returns can take a couple months depending on their workload.

Thats insane. My cut off date is the 29th. Interviews are Feb. 5th. Im trying to stay on top of them to make sure I hit that date. What did you have to go back to do blood work for??
  • Like 1

My hematocrit level was .2 low. Which is my fault. I barely ate the day before and then fasted for the blood draw. Inconvenient lesson learned.

Hopefully you can get yours back in time. Luckily there's a WOFT board every other month scheduled.

Get some food in you and you will be fine. Yeah hopefully! If you knew my horror story like the other 50% of those on here with stories then youd be begging to get in ASAP. Good luck to you.