First Assignment and the OML

Does the OML play into (to any degree) what your first assignment is? Have a guy who's OML score was wrong (way lower 10%+ than what he actually got). Would HRC change his assignment (didn't get one of his top 3 but his #1 was available and given to someone who should have been lower than him) if they correct his OML and he soars to the top?

Talking to BCo Cadre, other flight school students, instructors and getting all kinds of different answers.

Thanks.

As far as I could tell OML plays no part at all in duty station selection. The Army will send you where they want regardless of what you list on that paper. No one in my class was sent to their top three and most were sent places that weren’t even listed as available options at the time of selection.

Wouldnt count on it. I finished #2 in my class and got nothing on my list. Im from aviation- 9 years AFS with lots of networking in the community; the needs of the Army always come first. I tried to get my assignment changed because most everyone below me got an assignment of choice (SOMETHING on their list). I did not. I was given a greasy used car salesmen pitch and essentially told to suck it up. In hindsight, I wouldnt have tried so hard in flight school had I know this would happen.

If you look on HRCs website (where you view your ORB), it lists how HRC dishes our assignments. Keep in mind also: when HRC receives the OML its whatever has been done up to that point. I.e advanced airframe academic scores in addition to primary scores.

Yeah picking duty stations is a joke. Command likes things like "Wish lists" for purposes of self aggrandizement, they know it will have no effect on stations. I have good information that those wish lists are ignored by HRC because their personnel routing software suggest where the "most efficient" duty station is based on various individual parameters.

The real story is: they could make the extra effort to send us towards our duty stations based on class rank. Unfortunately, "Needs of the Army" is directly proportional to the Soldier and/or civilian's level of enthusiasm over at HRC (at least it is for students out of flight school). Same type of thinking leads to the current bleeding being experienced at the rated, senior-warrant level.

For your purposes, the first duty assignment shouldn't matter too much in the scheme O' green weenie (We all took an oath for something greater than ourselves so it just comes with the territory)....

The only area where class rank truly matters is frame selection, and frame selection is all that matters for a junior warrant, so it works out perfectly. Plus, you can gauge your future stations (to an extent) based on what equipment you end up getting.

The sooner you realizes that after flight school, you are just another RL3 PI, the easier it will be. They are just plugging holes and each of us are basically interchangable until you make PC. Fill the fridge, keep track of your unit NBC gear, and pray for some hours wiggling sticks. Looking back, that wish list makes me lol. I literally got a rotation to the last choice on my list, after being stationed at my second to last choice. Thankfully I got a pretty fun unit to be in.

• Like 1

We were a lucky class. Everyone got in thier top with most getting #1.We all wanted different places which I believe helped. So sometimes your luck in peers counts just as much. We were told scores are sent to HRC in the second week of advanced airframe.

• Like 1

Is uh...she still in charge of assignments for new aviators? Or a different guy? I heard she finally got fired due to so many ICE complaints, but you know how rumors go.

Because that could explain your class having some good luck with that.

Nope, "she" is now screwing with people's lives elsewhere at HRC.

Given her stellar approach to customer service, I'm guessing she had something to do with the CW3/4/5 promo debacle of 2017 hahaha

They gave the FS XXI gig to a greensuiter who did an equally crappy job of it. (#1 in my class, currently stationed on the other side of the world from anything on my top 3.)

In retrospect though, I'm actually pretty happy with my current duty station.

Is uh...she still in charge of assignments for new aviators? Or a different guy? I heard she finally got fired due to so many ICE complaints, but you know how rumors go.

Because that could explain your class having some good luck with that.

• Like 1