2017 Age Waivers - how old have you seen in training?

A search came up with very little. I found one age waiver referenced on this forum in the last year under the stats thread. Rumor has it that age waivers are difficult to come by these days, what is the oldest you have seen at initial training at Rucker and has anyone seen any age waivers come through the school house recently?

Has anyone over 40 been granted a waiver? I am a fast jet guy in the Air Force looking to make the jump to the Army Guard for the last 15 or so years of my career. I understand the age limit at Rucker is 32 without a waiver regardless of current military status or previous military flight time.

Thank you for the replies.

There was a WO in my 47 class who was 34. He was National Guard and I think he said he got picked up just before he turned 33. Probably doesn't help answer your question much, but that's about the oldest I've seen. I'm sure he's not the oldest one who's been through though. The Army wants pilots.

I was selected at 33, requiring a waiver. I have a buddy I was in WOCS with who is also an aviator and was 36, a prior e8, and needed waivers for other things as well. There were 2 others in my WOCS that needed waivers for being over 32 as well, but both just barely. I would say (and I'm obviously no expert as I am just starting flight training) that it is seriously case by case. If they see potential in you, to include physically, they will grant a waiver. By physically, I mean that they can get enough out of you as an aviator on flight status, not broken because you are old. But also a person who shows the dedication required to go through flight school and on to be an awesome aviator in futire units. I hope this little rant helps. Good luck!

I saw the wrong side of 40 when I was in flight school back in 07/08.

Im curious how they would put you through training if youre already a military rated aviator, but fixed wing. I know a guy who transferred from the USMC, but he was a CH-53 pilot, so just went to the -60 qual, and he was good.

Good luck.

So you are saying an old guy has a chance... Thank you all for the replies. Can you talk me through the waiver process and more specifically how that would apply to the Guard? Is there any chance I could get the waiver going and then be sponsored by the unit? This is a no in the Air Force but I would love to eliminate all the possible no answers, hand over an application that is a sure shot, and make the transition easy.

Cheers!

The Guard is definitely nice in that you will have people who genuinely want you to get a waiver and will be gunning for you during the process. I had to get two waivers prior to flight school and I don't think I would have been able to get them in time if I didn't have my unit's flight surgeon actively tracking their progress and trying to get them pushed through. Both of mine were medical though, so I can't speak for age waivers.

On the flip side of that, most units are going to want you to commit to them before they're going to invest their time into getting you a waiver. If you are ANG or Air Force Reserve I'm sure you're familiar with that. A lot of it will be unit specific.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

Greasy,

You're already a rated military aviator, you aren't subjected to the same age restrictions as an initial applicant. You just have to find a guard unit willing to take you on, you just have to have less than 18 years AFS.

My guess is after you agree to revert to Warrant (WO1) they'll probably just use one of their regular flight school allocations, you just won't have to endure WOC school. You're easiest route would be to find a Guard fixed wing unit, they'd just send to whatever platform AQC they fly and you'll be fully integrated.

Mike-

Mike, do you have a regulation you can point to that has that info? I was under the impression I would not need an age waiver for that reason but I havent been able to back it up yet with truth data.

Cheers!

Try AR 614-120 which covers active duty inter-service transfers. I don't have any visibility on how the Guard does business. I've seen some specific guidance on aviator transfers but it's been awhile.

Mike-