Should I make the move?

Scyther

Former yes. Ex, no, unless dishonarably booted.

Money aint everything. I'm in my last year at a top law school. If active aviation were or becomes my only option to fly I'd take it. I know what I can live off of, and W1 with BAH is more than I've ever made. Can't bring your millions to the grave with you. To each their own.

Also, last I checked the .mil IS working for a living. With tons of benefits. A relative degree of certainty. And a half decent pay check.

Mike

• Like 2

For what it's worth, heading to the airlines is a step in the right direction for my family and me but joining the Army when I did played a pivotal role in ending up where we are today. I have a lot of pride in what I've done with the Army and I highly recommend pursuing that path to anyone who is a hard worker and wants to fly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I genuinely love my job- it would be very tough to leave but at the same time I feel pretty lonely/miserable in my personal life and I can't afford to fly as a hobby...

I will say, if you love your job, you should keep your job. Specifically, I believe, loving your job is a blessing and I say this after having a lifetime of jobs in various fields…. Therefore, you should really think about why you would consider leaving a job you love in order to ‘attempt’ to enter the aviation business or the military….. In fact, this endeavor sounds to me to be a little foolish…… Moreover, seeking advice of this level of importance (life changing) on the internet is more than a little risky…… Maybe consider discussing this with someone close to you who is a shareholder in your best interest….. Lastly, if you straighten out your personal life, you may feel differently about what you are inquiring about….

• Like 3

Moreover, seeking advice of this level of importance (life changing) on the internet is more than a little risky Maybe consider discussing this with someone close to you who is a shareholder in your best interest.. Lastly, if you straighten out your personal life, you may feel differently about what you are inquiring about.

Ive been lucky to make some actual real world contacts over the last month- two major airline pilots and a National Guard helo pilot. All of them are very passionate about flying and keen to support wannabes like me. When it comes to my family I feel sorry for em because I havent shut up about flying over the past 20 years haha.

I definitely wouldnt base such a massive decision solely off of internet advice but VR has been a great place to start!

Yes, I love being a firefighter but theres so much other stuff Id love to do and flying is numero uno on the list. It always has been!

Its still going to be tough to make a change but no guts no glory.

• Like 2

Hmm, I just started a new job. Its with Fedex Freight, a company that took me nine interviews (between four different locations) over the past two years. I've worked for both Fedex Ground and Fedex Express, but this is the side that's always been at the top of my (delivery boy) list,...mainly because they have benefits and (unlike Express who also has benefits) I get to drive the big boy trucks, plus in a few years I can transfer to Hawaii!

I was also recently offered a job flying tours, and I gotta tell ya, for a minute there I was willing to throw away a good job (a job I could take to retirement) just to follow an old (misinterpreted) "kinda",...I don't want to say dream, but well,...job I thought might be a decent way to run out the clock with?

Then I started reminiscing about my brief time at Helislave (not to mention reminding myself that I'd always be flying with people in the cockpit,...and have to be nice to them) and I quickly returned to my senses!

Yeah, I suppose the "allure" of flying for a living can be quite powerful, but give up a job I love to do it?

You know sometimes I feel like one of those chicks who every so often thinks about getting back together with an old boyfriend who always treated her like sh*t,...until her friends slap her upside the head!

:)

• Like 1

,...oh yeah, almost forgot.

I too wanted to be a pilot ever since I was a wee lad. After I finally became one there was a long time where if I went more than a week without flying I'd get ancy!

Now its fifteen years later and well,...

I went up about a week ago (first flight in over two months) and it was like,...I don't really feel like flying, but its been over two months, I guess I should probably go up?

The magic wears off dude!

:(

• Like 1

Ah nice one on your new job Butters, are you driving semi-trucks now?

They call em artic (articulated) lorries in the UK. 🤪

Just call me bigrigbutters goodbuddies

,...now excuse me while I take a ten one-hundred! :)

Ive been lucky to make some actual real world contacts over the last month- two major airline pilots and a National Guard helo pilot. All of them are very passionate about flying and keen to support wannabes like me. When it comes to my family I feel sorry for em because I havent shut up about flying over the past 20 years haha.

I definitely wouldnt base such a massive decision solely off of internet advice but VR has been a great place to start!

Yes, I love being a firefighter but theres so much other stuff Id love to do and flying is numero uno on the list. It always has been!

Its still going to be tough to make a change but no guts no glory.

I. Would. Never. Ever. Leave. A. Job. I. Loved. PERIOD. And I love flying, still believe that.

Especially not for an unknown field.

If you can afford the training costs, you can afford to fly part-time, dip your toes in the water. If you still want to fly instead of firefight after doing that, good luck. Or you could try heroin, I think it's cheaper and steadier work...

• Like 1

Hmm, I just started a new job. Its with Fedex Freight, a company that took me nine interviews (between four different locations) over the past two years. I've worked for both Fedex Ground and Fedex Express, but this is the side that's always been at the top of my (delivery boy) list,...mainly because they have benefits and (unlike Express who also has benefits) I get to drive the big boy trucks, plus in a few years I can transfer to Hawaii!

Congrats Butters! That's a really great gig.