Hey All,

I'm currently a Junior in high school getting a head start on learning what is required to become an army aviator, particularly following the warrant officer route. I am motivated to do whatever it takes to accomplish this lifelong dream of mine.

Recently I have been talking to a VT Army Guard recruiter about enlisting into an aviation-related MOS when I turn 17 in April, in order to build time in grade, build relationships within the relatively small unit, and allow me to go to college at the same time, after high school. I've been told all this would look great to the board and help with LORs when I eventually apply for WOFT. Last month I took the ASVAB through my recruiter, getting an AFQT of 97.

On the other hand, I've searched and read-up on the whole process for WOFT straight out of high school, and that option looks particularly attractive as it would mean flying active duty with a shorter route to get there.

In your experience, which option seems the better choice as far as getting selected for training, and how feasible would "street to seat" WOFT be without a degree?

Also, if I were to join the Guard, is switching to active duty after getting my wings a possibility?

Any information on this or even the process would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

--Mike

• Like 1

As someone who once considered street to seat and then choose another route I would strongly encourage you to start down that path, should Army aviation be your goal. I enlisted as an infantryman, and it’s taken me eight years to finally be able to finish a packet and thankfully be selected. As to guard VS active pick the one that reflects the lifestyle you want. Do you want all Army every day even when not at work? Go active. Do you just want to fly for the Army but have a “normal” day job? Go Guard. As a former recruiter, I would not join the guard unless you plan to commit to staying in the guard as a pilot. You recruiter is correct in that being in the unit will greatly help you when it comes time to submit a packet to be a Guard pilot. WOFT right out of high school is possible, but like getting into your 1st college pick, you are going to need to build the right resume.

As someone who spent a little over 6 years in the reserves, don't do it unless you have a reason to do it. I loved my unit and my time in, and was lucky to deploy, but I was happy being a weekend warrior while pursuing my education. I got out of it what I wanted. If you want to be full-time military, youll be greatly disappointed.

Based on what I've read here active WOFT seems to be a much more attainable path for a kid fresh out of school. The regular Army needs pilots. Guard units vary wildly from unit to unit, and many don't offer any sort of street to seat program.

Mike

I took my ASVAB and started to research the WOFT program when I was a junior as well.

I applied during my senior year of high school and had my BN board a month or two after I graduated and turned 18.

In my experience, besides a couple people looking at you funny, there's no hoops to jump through at all. It's definitely feasible as a senior in high school to apply but I believe you need to be 18 when you're selected. (You should be fine with an April birthday if you start the process in September of your senior year)

I just went through the process and leave for basic in a few days, so not by any means do I know anything about the Army but I can still help you with the process of you need any pointers.

I took my ASVAB and started to research the WOFT program when I was a junior as well.

I applied during my senior year of high school and had my BN board a month or two after I graduated and turned 18.

In my experience, besides a couple people looking at you funny, there's no hoops to jump through at all. It's defenitely feasible as a senior in high school to apply but I believe you need to be 18 when you're selected. (You should be fine with an April birthday if you start the process in September of your senior year)

I just went through the process and leave for basic in a few days, so not by any means do I know anything about the Army but I can still help you with the process of you need any pointers.

Thanks for the information! As I do more research WOFT is looking more and more attractive...

If you don't mind, how did you go about attaining good LORs and networking yourself to get them?

WOFT & Guard is the same thing technically. BUT I get what you mean. I would go regular Army WOFT if I were you. Once you are complete with flight school you'll basically have the equivalent of an associates degree in transferable credits.

LORs tend to sway towards what path you decide. If you go guard, you'll need to find the airport & guard unit that is close to you. They are quite clicky in that, you have to initialize through the guard unit itself to put a guard woft packet in. You'll get your LORs from that unit.

As far as initiating that contact? Get the number and call them.