#21 ByteFlighter

ByteFlighter

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Company working for:The Big Green Weenie

Posted 16 January 2018 - 23:16

Does the Army not have its gunship pilots do rotations as FACs? The Army is no less a ground service than the USMC. If anything, you probably have waaaaay more guys in Army aviation with a background in combat arms than the USMC given the nature of the warrant program. 

Mike

No, we use the Air Force gals for that. Though, I kinda wish we would get a rotation on the ground....

In my personal opinion here, Marine Corps Officers go through quite a bit more suck prior to flight training than any other branch. Army infantry amounts to a stern monastic order standing apart, on the edge of the wider secular soldier world, Marine infantry more resembles the central totem worshipped by the entire tribe. Marines have specialized. They also have a higher tempo of training evolutions to complete per year just to stay rated as Officers, unique and separate from their training to stay rated as aviators...

#22 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:Freedom & 'Merica
  • Company working for:USMC Infantry, Lawyer(ish)

Posted 16 January 2018 - 23:57

I go/went to school with 2 Marine RW aviators. Both thought highly of the Army's aviation program.

I like the USMC model of sending all officers to TBS prior to branch schools. The Marine Corps is also very selective with their officers. I have some good friends who are army officers who can't do a single pull-up. Even in the reserves all our officers were PT gods.

I get the army is waaaay bigger and may need to open the doors a bit wider to get the numbers they need, but it seems to me they could harp on the ground thing a little more. The FAC thing seems to be very intuitive, for example.

Mike
  • ByteFlighter likes this

#23 wheelsup

wheelsup

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:25

I completely agree with UH60MCE and dmurray. I think your thought process has created a trap that you're going to fall right into as soon as you reach troubles if/when you're accepted for WO. You don't want to be that shoulda, coulda, woulda guy.

BTW, no one thinks this is funny

I heard the only way to cash in on white male privilege, was to announce it to everyone you came in contact with  ;)

• Creep0321, Dmurray and ByteFlighter like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WOFT, OCS, Warrant, Commisioned

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Content Spy

LORD_VRHome200Spectrum_VRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeBE_VRHome200NFCVRForum200HomePrecisionVRForumHome200Genesys VR Forum 200MaunaLoaVRHome200