May Slection Board

So I have a question, I'm not sure how strong my packet will be.

GT: 111

SIFT: Pending

LOR: CPT, LTC, CW5 (all nightstalkers)

Flight time: 15 hours simulator time

Schooling: no degree; 39 hours (2.5 gpa) :/

Military: SGT, three years in as 42A (S1), Three deployments. Highest mil ed is BLC

Physical: Pending

I am waiting to get approved on my eyes because its a slow process over here. That is why I'm aiming for May board.

What do you think my chances are? Anyone think I should try to get my GT score up? Not sure if it looks bad barley meeting that min.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Military: SGT, three years in as 42A (S1), Three deployments. Highest mil ed is BLC

I am waiting to get approved on my eyes because its a slow process over here. That is why I'm aiming for May board.

What do you think my chances are? Anyone think I should try to get my GT score up? Not sure if it looks bad barley meeting that min.

Thanks in advance!

If you have a 110 gt or higher I don't think you can attempt to raise it. The same thing will apply to the sift, if you score a 40 you are stuck with it.

• Like 1

If you have a 110 gt or higher I don't think you can attempt to raise it. The same thing will apply to the sift, if you score a 40 you are stuck with it.

From what the education center told me here, I am able to. I just think it would look a little better instead of meeting that min.

• Like 1

I've been lurking on this forum for a few months while getting everything ready. I wanna say thanks to everyone, as there's a lot of useful information on here. I plan on dropping my package in a couple of weeks and going to the May Board. I'm waiting on one more LOR that I've already interviewed for, and I need to take an official APFT.

GT: 137

SIFT: 68

LOR: CW5 Aviation (AD), CW3 Aviation (Retired), A retired non-aviation Army O5 (my college professor) and my CO in my Navy Reserve Unit: an O5, non-aviation

Flight time: nil (one hour of instruction when I was 10 years old but I'm not counting that)

Schooling: AA in English with High Honors 4.0 GPA. BA in "Government and Public Service" Magna Cum Laude 3.89 GPA

Military: Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5) in US Navy Reserves. 3 1/2 years in; all of my time has been in the Reserves, although I did volunteer for 3 months overseas. I've already got an approved DD368 in hand.

APFT: I haven't done the test with my recruiter but I've upped my personal PT intensity and I'm averaging ~250-260 when I do a mock test myself.

I've been lurking on this forum for a few months while getting everything ready. I wanna say thanks to everyone, as there's a lot of useful information on here. I plan on dropping my package in a couple of weeks and going to the May Board. I'm waiting on one more LOR that I've already interviewed for, and I need to take an official APFT.

GT: 137

SIFT: 68

LOR: CW5 Aviation (AD), CW3 Aviation (Retired), A retired non-aviation Army O5 (my college professor) and my CO in my Navy Reserve Unit: an O5, non-aviation

Flight time: nil (one hour of instruction when I was 10 years old but I'm not counting that)

Schooling: AA in English with High Honors 4.0 GPA. BA in "Government and Public Service" Magna Cum Laude 3.89 GPA

Military: Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5) in US Navy Reserves. 3 1/2 years in; all of my time has been in the Reserves, although I did volunteer for 3 months overseas. I've already got an approved DD368 in hand.

APFT: I haven't done the test with my recruiter but I've upped my personal PT intensity and I'm averaging ~250-260 when I do a mock test myself.

That's pretty solid. I'd consider going with your three strongest LOR's though.

Thanks. Would it be advisable to submit only the three strongest LORs or supplement those three with some additional ones that may not be "strong" but good? It says minimum three and maximum six. This is my recruiter's first WOFT packet so he's not sure how to answer that

From what ive read on here they prefer three. Because they only read one or two and if they happen to pick up that "not as strong" one then that would suck, ya know?

Any feed

Thanks. Would it be advisable to submit only the three strongest LORs or supplement those three with some additional ones that may not be "strong" but good? It says minimum three and maximum six. This is my recruiter's first WOFT packet so he's not sure how to answer that one.

Any feed back or thoughts on mine?

From what ive read on here they prefer three. Because they only read one or two and if they happen to pick up that "not as strong" one then that would suck, ya know?

That makes sense. Thanks for advice!

Any feed back or thoughts on mine?

So, I'm in the same boat as you, probably with even less knowledge. Your scores look good and having LORs all from NightStalkers can't hurt right? I have no idea if you can get your GT score raised or how to go about that. If you can, then awesome!

As far as the SIFT goes, I read the FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook (free pdf here: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/media/faa-h-8083-21.pdf ), bought the AEGIS Group SIFT study guide from Amazon, and did the practice SIFT test and AFAST from the Peterson's DOD MWR library (google DOD library and its the first one). I studied for about a month, at least 1/2 hour each day.

That makes sense. Thanks for advice!

So, I'm in the same boat as you, probably with even less knowledge. Your scores look good and having LORs all from NightStalkers can't hurt right? I have no idea if you can get your GT score raised or how to go about that. If you can, then awesome!

As far as the SIFT goes, I read the FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook (free pdf here: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/media/faa-h-8083-21.pdf ), bought the AEGIS Group SIFT study guide from Amazon, and did the practice SIFT test and AFAST from the Peterson's DOD MWR library (google DOD library and its the first one). I studied for about a month, at least 1/2 hour each day.

Yeah I have been using the FAA and study guide, ill probably go to that time per day because that 68 you have looks great.

Appreciate the feedback.

The SIFT's section on Aviation Knowledge isn't too bad but it does stray into helicopter specific questions on top of basic fundamentals of flight.

I'd study more on picking the shapes out of the collage section. Also, there is some rudimentary algebra in the last area. I'd for sure brush up on some basic algebra, fractions, percentages etc. before taking the test.

You may study pretty hard for the aviation knowledge section, then go "oh F**K" when you hit the math portion as you probably haven't seen that type of math in a while....Even a college grad whom took Calculus recently might of forgot some of the basics like I did lol.

-Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just recently started my WOFT Application packet. Ive been wondering if It will be competitive with what other packets you guys have seen.

ASVAB: 92 Overall 126 GT

3.9 GPA High school

39 College Credits with a 2.9 GPA (Dual Enrollment)

I take the SIFT next Tuesday

LORs: CW5, LT General, Two Lt Colonels

APFT: 235 (Working on it every day)

No prior military enlistment

I have very litte job experience and my resume is mostly sports, volunteer hours, and academics.

Just trying to get an Idea if my packet is within competitive margins. I am still young and I still have time to complete more college if that is something that Is necessary for acceptance.

Thanks Everyone

I have just recently started my WOFT Application packet. Ive been wondering if It will be competitive with what other packets you guys have seen.

ASVAB: 92 Overall 126 GT

3.9 GPA High school

39 College Credits with a 2.9 GPA (Dual Enrollment)

I take the SIFT next Tuesday

LORs: CW5, LT General, Two Lt Colonels

APFT: 235 (Working on it every day)

No prior military enlistment

I have very litte job experience and my resume is mostly sports, volunteer hours, and academics.

Just trying to get an Idea if my packet is within competitive margins. I am still young and I still have time to complete more college if that is something that Is necessary for acceptance.

Thanks Everyone

Good stats form what I see just do good on that SIFT. Only thing I hear that can hurt you (and me) is the age because were 20 and 22 compared to the more mature people that usually submit so id say get some good things about maturity in those LOR's

Good stats form what I see just do good on that SIFT. Only thing I hear that can hurt you (and me) is the age because were 20 and 22 compared to the more mature people that usually submit so id say get some good things about maturity in those LOR's

Yeah, my recruiter told me it might be a setback, which actually surprised me some. Wouldn't the army want younger applicants? That way they would have more overhead and potential to stay in the army longer?

Yeah, my recruiter told me it might be a setback, which actually surprised me some. Wouldn't the army want younger applicants? That way they would have more overhead and potential to stay in the army longer?

Yeah same I was surprised. But he has a point^ they get more years out of you the younger you are. You aiming for the May board as well?

Yeah same I was surprised. But he has a point^ they get more years out of you the younger you are. You aiming for the May board as well?

Yeah Im trying for the May board. Hoping I can get everything polished up in my packet by then.

• Like 1

Thanks in advance!

You are allowed to retake the ASVAB to get a better score. Although, it isn't called the ASVAB once you retake it. It is called the AFCT. Your first retest can be taken whenever. If you want a second, you have to wait at least a month after your first. If you want to take a third or so on, you have to wait 6 months from the last test date. Not exactly sure how many times the AFCT can be taken but I know for sure 3. You can go about doing this at any education center at any base. This is for AD members for sure. Not sure about the civilian side of the house.

SIFT: 51

APFT: 270

LOR: Air Force O-6, Air Force O-6, Air Force Aviator O-6 (F-22)

Flight Time: None

Education: Associates Degree-3.4 GPA, NCO Academy DLT, going to try and get Ground School soon

Military: SSgt/E5. Going on 11 years in the Air Force AD. 2 deployments, 2 years in Korea, Was in SOCCENT for over a year also.

My resume is pretty strong I think. Kind of tough finding and meeting with a Sr. Warrant to get a recommendation but any O-4 or higher Aviator can work.

Any thought on if I should still try and get a CW LOR? I may go for the July board if I don't feel comfortable with this one.

Very open to Feedback on my stats.

• Like 1

GT: 112

SIFT: 57

AFPT: 245

Flight Physical: Stamped No Waivers

Military: 9 years Active USCG PO1

Flight Hours: 550 Flight Mechanic MH-65D (Crew Chief)

LORs: O3, O6, O6, and active Army CW4 (All Rotary Pilots)

School: 25 credit hours

Perchard Award Winner Air Station Kodiak, AK (voted outstanding enlisted aircrew), Superior Employee Reviews, 2 Achievement Medals, 3 Letters of Commendation, Enlisted Flight Examing Board, Flight Mechanic Instructor, Maintenance Tech with thousands of hours of inspections, Advanced Helicopter Rescue School Graduate, DUNKER, Etc...

Moral Waiver (arrested 10 years ago for driving w/suspended license, unpaid traffic ticket)

My initial intention was to submit for March, but I had to wait for my Army CWO review and find an Army E-7 to give administer my AFPT. I will be submitting my packet this week. Hopefully my waivers are good to go. Good luck to everyone else shooting for this deadline!

Current Civilian USAREC Applicants:

Only 2 board ready packets showing for the MAR board. If you are suppose to be on this board, I wouldn't sweat it too much because there were a lot of last minute updates to the JAN board.

2 Applicants

2 Males

1 NPS, 1 PS

ED: 2 HS

AVG PT: 261

AVG GT: 129

AVG GPA: 3.75

AVG SIFT: 65

• Like 1