TigerTugsVOLO_VRHome200Frasca VRForum468Helicopter Academy
Photo
- - - - -

Accepted to WOFT but no units available!?

Reserve

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 zack.colorado

zack.colorado

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:01

Id fly out of state once of month.  I dont know that I can ask for something in writing but Ill get more info leading up to Wed swear in.

So back to what Luofy was saying, how does that work with the flight schedule? It's my understanding that to meet minimums a pilot in the guard (and reserves I'd assume) is at the unit one day a week on average, plus monthly drill.

Unless the unit groups 4 or 5 days of flying for you around the drill weekend, you'll have to make more than one trip. I don't imagine a unit being THAT flexible with the new guy either.

#22 Rob Lyman

Rob Lyman

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Company working for:FL ARNG

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:24

So back to what Luofy was saying, how does that work with the flight schedule? It's my understanding that to meet minimums a pilot in the guard (and reserves I'd assume) is at the unit one day a week on average, plus monthly drill.

Unless the unit groups 4 or 5 days of flying for you around the drill weekend, you'll have to make more than one trip. I don't imagine a unit being THAT flexible with the new guy either.

THIS. You will not make your minimums if you only plan to fly on drill weekends. Drill is full of everything else, and only sometimes flying. Individual weapons qual, APFT, ARMS,  safety classes, etc.. We have guys in South Florida who can't seem to make it to North Florida to fly. Colorado or Hawaii? Good luck. You need to average 1.8 hours a week to make your minimums (FAC 1 in a Blackhawk). Even flying four hours every drill won't get you your minimums. Oh yeah, don't forget 12-18 hours of simulator too. These are hard facts no one wants to hear. I wish someone had told our guys this before they made similar plans. As our company SP, I am now spending too much of my time trying to help new pilots avoid a flight evaluation board (FEB).

MTP/ME/IP/IE/SP

#23 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Freedom & 'Merica
  • Company working for:USMC Infantry, Lawyer(ish)

Posted 13 March 2018 - 16:04

I would think it would be almost unmanageable to travel that far multiple times a month while working anything other than a very part time civilian job.

Mike

#24 Hebertaviation

Hebertaviation

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 21:58

THIS. You will not make your minimums if you only plan to fly on drill weekends. Drill is full of everything else, and only sometimes flying. Individual weapons qual, APFT, ARMS,  safety classes, etc.. We have guys in South Florida who can't seem to make it to North Florida to fly. Colorado or Hawaii? Good luck. You need to average 1.8 hours a week to make your minimums (FAC 1 in a Blackhawk). Even flying four hours every drill won't get you your minimums. Oh yeah, don't forget 12-18 hours of simulator too. These are hard facts no one wants to hear. I wish someone had told our guys this before they made similar plans. As our company SP, I am now spending too much of my time trying to help new pilots avoid a flight evaluation board (FEB).

Thank you and others for your post. I was explained this after selection.   This all has been very fluid and some processing errors have occurred.  There are some things in the works. CO and HI are off the table, huge recruiter error!  Ill be drilling in NW Florida

• mike0331 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reserve

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

NFCVRForum200HomeSpectrum_VRHome200BE_VRHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeGenesys VR Forum 200PrecisionVRForumHome200AMTC 2018