Hello,

I'm currently close to coming off a deployment and am close to starting the application process for a number of jobs. EMS seems like a good fit for me due to the mission set (rewarding), stability (family man), and scheduling (flexibility). I'm currently in the National Guard and plan to continue that until I reach 20 years at least, which for me is about 10 more years.

I'm a little shy of most companies minimums with ~1700 hours total time, close to 600hours NVG/Night time, and with less than 100 hours of WX time. I'm an Instructor (CFI/CFII rotary) and have a lot of recent experience. I'm optimistic I may be able to get into the EMS field.

My question to you folks, have any of you have had an experience with NG aviators who also work in the EMS field on the civilian side and if so:

1. Do most companies work with the demands of NG aviators schedules and minimum flight requirements (It shouldn't be much of an issue with 7 on 7 off)

2. Is being a NG aviator looked at as an asset or a detriment during the application process?

3. Are any of the prominent Medevac companies more or less hospitable towards NG?

4. How valued is the Instructor rating, it seems most civilians have a CFI to build hours?

5. Any recommendations for the application process?

Thanks for your time.

• Like 1

I don't know about most states, but it's easier in the AKARNG to be on a hitch schedule than a 9-5 guy, our flight schedule is built around the technician schedule, not for the M day folks. Even though I'm basically TDY 180 days a year I can pretty much fly my full mins, or I can prorate them. All I really need to do is pass a PT test, stay medically ready and proficient in the aircraft. They don't mind that I'm not around that much and am pretty much never at AT unless we're doing something cool and it's a TDY.

Now, as for your employer, generally I'd say that they don't mind the guard, if you let them know when you'll be on orders for AT/schools well in advance. If you're on a contract with no relief pilot available, your opposite will be your relief, and guess who will be relieving your opposite when you're back from orders... Unless you have an exceptionally progressive employer, which you won't, don't plan on being at drill if you're scheduled to be at work (most of the time, this is a blessing).

I know several pilots who are NG and working in the EMS field, and doesn't seem to be an issue. I think most companies will work with you on that, especially with the 7/7 schedule. Some may see it different, but I see a pilot flying with the NG to be an asset, as that is additional training and flight time that he/she is getting.

As for the CFI rating. Not really a factor, in my opinion. It's an expected thing to have, although many let it expire.

Biggest hurdle you have to face is your hours. CAMTS standards (and most programs are CAMTS accredited) are for 2,000 flight hours, at least 1,200 in helicopters. Without 2,000 total flight hours, you are going to have an uphill battle with most companies.

1. One of my pilots is in the Reserves, and it's generally pretty easy to work around a schedule. It's also easy for him to work around his drill if I can't get coverage, or need the help.

2. How you're viewed as an asset is purely dictated by your customer service and flying skills.

3. All "should" be the same... I'm biased though

4. Doesn't matter

5. Network! Go visit bases and talk with the base managers and lead pilots.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses.

I personally would find it easier with a 7/7 work week to schedule flights on the M-day side. Currently, I rearrange my entire civilian work schedule to accommodate flying only 1 time a week on the NG side, which I do not find sustainable for 10 more years.

Thanks for the responses.

I personally would find it easier with a 7/7 work week to schedule flights on the M-day side. Currently, I rearrange my entire civilian work schedule to accommodate flying only 1 time a week on the NG side, which I do not find sustainable for 10 more years.

Once a week is better than most active units so you’re doing well.