TigerTugsFrasca VRForum468VOLO_VRHome200Helicopter Academy
Photo
- - - - -

Beaten to death question, unique situation.

job employment

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bazzard

Bazzard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 20:53

Hello all, new to the Helicopter forum world but not to the forum world. My question i'm sure has been beaten to death and i will hear about it in the "use the search function" comments however my situation is unique in my opinion. I am looking to build a career as a commercial helicopter pilot but i am finding very mixed reviews regarding employment opportunities from everything i read. Alot of posts are outdated and seriously biased.

A little background, I'm a 26 year old US resident and Australian Citizen that lives in SW Florida (been state side for roughly 15years making me eligible for US citizenship) Australia allows every citizen a certain amount of money towards education, after using a portion towards my bachelors in business management I still have more then enough to peruse a commercial pilots license. Currently I am the owner of  of a 30yr established mechanical small business that i have successfully owned, operated and built for the past 5 years. Contrary to popular belief small businesses at least in my field are rarely more then buying your self a job, I am not complaining, it pays all the bills but not terribly much more, however allows a lot of freedom to peruse other avenues. With a wife and 2 kids the military is not an option for me any longer and i would like over the next 8years to be flying and making a reasonable salary from doing so. I have always loved aviation and had a great "feel" for things i operate, at a younger age i worked my way through the Civil Air Patrol ranks and gained plenty of hours in a fixed wing but i don't enjoy fixed wing and CAP doesn't enjoy helicopters.

So to wrap up I have the ability to have my $74k AUD education paid for, the option to leave my steady "day job" to fly whenever within reasonable range of home but I can go for my Masters and do something that doesn't thrill me, is there work readily available in the helo world?

Thank you Chris

#2 vertrefadmin

vertrefadmin

VR Veteran Poster

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Company working for:Self

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:15

I would post this in the general forum as well.

Lyn

info@justhelicopters.com

Posted Image

Lyn Burks

#3 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:59

Is there work readily available? If you're in the right place at the right time, happen to bump into the right person, and he likes you,...maybe?

If I were you, I'd get my private license and just rent or buy an R22 to fly around for fun on the weekends. :)
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#4 Bazzard

Bazzard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 19:52

I would post this in the general forum as well.

Lyn

info@justhelicopters.com

Appreciate it.

#5 Bazzard

Bazzard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 20:03

Is there work readily available? If you're in the right place at the right time, happen to bump into the right person, and he likes you,...maybe?

If I were you, I'd get my private license and just rent or buy an R22 to fly around for fun on the weekends. :)

Thank you for the input, Aussie will only cover the commercial/private license not just private but i could do my private here if i went that route. Im curious what is an actual realistic figure to rent a r22 for a afternoon? Any ideas on getting the US to recognize my Aussie license i assume some equivalency test?

#6 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:42

I don't know anything about license conversions, but if Bristow is still in Florida I believe they used to do that stuff?

As for renting, I pay $270 per hour which includes fuel. However I live in overpopulated and overpriced California, Florida is probably cheaper.
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#7 mudkow60

mudkow60

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 15:31

Thing with being in California, is that some of the helo jobs very well....  Butters is just a negative Nelly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: job, employment

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

ElJay

NFCVRForum200HomePrecisionVRForumHome200Genesys VR Forum 200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeMaunaLoaVRHome200Spectrum_VRHome200