Hover taxi auto,...?

Skip to about 1:56 in. I know its nothing special, but in all my years of flying the 22 I've never done this,...and it looks like fun. :)

,...anyone here done them?

• Like 2

I think its great practice. I do this with students at least once before their first solo. This has been in 300C/CBi and Cabri G2. Most people have an urge to pull back the cyclic to slow down, but really at that height just accept the forward speed, touch level and straight, the cushion is usually seems easier to manage - seems to float longer.

In the Private PTS, it allows demonstrating this task this way for the examiner (though who would choose to?)

"A. TASK: POWER FAILURE AT A HOVER REFERENCES: FAA-H-8083-21; POH/RFM. Objective. To determine that the applicant: 1. Exhibits knowledge of the elements related to power failure at a hover. 2. Determines that the terrain below the aircraft is suitable for a safe touchdown. 3. Performs autorotation from a stationary or forward hover into the wind at recommended altitude, and RPM, while maintaining established heading, ±10°..."

It's good to do also before full down autorotations.

Pull back on the cyclic? Urge/instinct of course, I'd expect one of the blades to smack the boom at that point tho. Especially in the good ole 300

Ha, well one of the many things instructors need to be ready to prevent!

I'll never understand why so many tail chops happen in todays pilots? I've had at least 5 actuals and never damaged a one. Is there something missing in the instruction techniques or standards?? Over 9000 hours in a wide variety of RW and at least 1000 as a CFI and a lot of it in ag work.

• Like 1

Rock, you must be jinxed to have had 5 real engine failures in only 9000 hrs. Never had one in 45 yrs and 15000 hrs. One cough in a Huey, one runaway N2 governor in a BK117, but never an engine that gave up.

Did a black cat run across the runway as you were flying under that ladder?

• Like 1