Caught a bad break

Ive posted on here about getting my packet going and hoping to get it in before my 33rd birthday. This past Monday though, I fell off some scaffold and broke my wrist. My arm bones had 10 fractures by the wrist on right hand. It puts me back on my apft training and will slow me down a little on paperwork. My question is, will a wrist break affect my chances of passing a flight physical? The doctor said I may lose some range of motion but as long as I dont have to have surgery it shouldnt be too bad. Those that have passed the flight physical, is that something they check? If theres still a chance, Ill have to work on an age waiver for sure, as well as kick butt and get upper body back in shape for apft score. Thanks for the help.

Still can work on killing the run and sit-ups, and there are probably other chest and tri workouts you can do that won't mess with your wrist.

As to whether it will screw up the flight physical, the answer is probably "it depends." If it heals fine, I doubt it would. If you have a limited range of motion, it presumably could/would require a waiver.

Mike

I plan on hitting everything I can until I can do arms again. I just got the bones set and am under strict orders to pretty much do nothing until Monday. They will check to make sure bones didnt move and then put a hard cast on if its still good. Otherwise surgery is likely. Once Im cleared to be active again, then Ill be getting all the exercising in that I can. Im really hoping for no loss of mobility, but the doctor doesnt think Ill have full range. I guess Ill find out soon enough 😒

Broke my left wrist back in the late 90's, doc said of all the bones in the wrist that was the one you really didn't want to break.

Back then I played a lot of golf, the guitar, and kendo, so I really needed good mobility in my left wrist. While I had the cast on I drank a shitload of milk for fear of osteoporosis due to having the cast on for so long.

When the cast came off I did my physical therapy exercises religiously, but even then still had to take care not to push too hard too soon. It took a while, but I'd say I got about 99% mobility back.

I shyed away from the bench press for at least two years, switching instead to pushups, though I had to do them on the flat of my fists (instead of my palms) initially due to pain, then later due to fear that it might break again. All these years later I still do pushups that way, and eventually when I started benching again I wore a bowling glove for a long time for some support.

I wore that bowling glove for a few years when I'd work out or play golf, then switched to a softer sports wrap, when the fear of it breaking again finally went away, but there was still some pain hitting the golf ball when it was cold out,...eventually that went away too.

Hope it all works out for you too.

Yeah I'd definitely recommend PT (I never take my own advice here). If you need surgery I'd explain the situation to the surgeon RE hardware, needing it out ASAP, etc.

Mike

Nothing is impossible, I have a metal plate and 7 screws in my right wrist and also have one of the bones in my wrist removed and they didnt even require a waiver for it. I also only have 30% motion in that wrist. They just read through all of my doctors notes and confirmed that it was fully healed.

• Like 1

That makes me feel good. Went to the doctor and got a good report. No surgery needed, but I am in a full arm cast for 3 weeks and then exchange it for a smaller one. Sounds like range of motion should be close to normal. Ill have to catch up on upper body, but I should have time to get my other fitness goals accomplished. Thank you guys for the encouragement and information