54 replies to this topic

#21 Boatpix

Boatpix

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:15

I think careful longtime readers of this forum will recall that  I've mentioned to Butters here  that I would help him get to CFI and a job with us and that is true with any rated helicopter pilot.  I do that in a loan and as they are going to work for me at $20/hour we can be flexible like if someone works for me for 1000 hours that's $20k.  We don't take pix of the Vegas Strip but Lake Meade and Lake Havasu we've been known to frequent since about 1999.   If someone thinks this is an advertisement consider that I'm the only active poster that actually does advertise on this forum.  My cell is 561-346-2816.  300 total time rotor, 100 in our aircraft  ($25K) and CFI is what we require along with RHC safety school and we conveniently keep a heli in Torrance, California as well as 4 other time zones in the USA.

• TomPPL likes this

Tom McDermott, manager
HelicopterAcademy.com/BOATPIX

#22 avbug

avbug

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:10

Good god.  

Twenty five grand pay for one thousand hours flying???  How the f*ck do you live with yourself???

You ARE the problem with this industry.  You're cancer.  You're a f*cking virus.  Seriously.

Any "employer" that claims to give a "job" to someone, then proceed to charge the "employee" for the privilege of "working" for them is A) a first class a**hole, B ) not an employer, C) raping the industry, and D) pond scum that does nothing but lower the bar for everyone.

Unf*ckingbelievable.  

Edited by avbug, 22 March 2018 - 10:11.

• Fred0311, AS350 pilot and hotstart like this

#23 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 22 March 2018 - 21:40

Careful longtime readers of this soap opera (if there are any left) would also remember that old butters cannot be a cfi because he gets sick as a passenger!

,...which is also why our loveable loser had to stop taking pictures after just five minutes and was down for about six hours that day with nausea before returning to (gingerly) fly the "photographer" around the fishing tournament when he did some time building with boatpix many, many, many years ago!
  • TomPPL likes this
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#24 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:54

...so it should be "R22 barfers"? 

Poor sod. One of my mates had been flying helicopters for a long time, and was even a qualified test pilot from USNTPS. He was posted to instruct on jet trainers, and was airsick almost every time he went up with a student. But he persisted. I even made him a special sick bag out of a topo map, so he could still navigate while barfing.

#25 avbug

avbug

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:57

I don't know any pilots that get sick in aircraft, but I did work with the chief pilot of a corporate department who had simulator sickness.  When he first told me about it, I thought he was making it up, but it's a legitimate condition, and I recently ran into someone else in a full motion simulator that has the same thing.  He's been flying for several decades, much of it in heavy widebody aircraft, and has no problem in the aircraft...just the simulator.

In the case of the simulator, it's a disconnect between what the body signals is actually happening, and what the eyes see.  Ever walk across a narrow bridge above a river and stare down at the fast moving water?  It can be hard to maintain equilibrium.  The body knows it's not moving, yet the illusion with the water rushing past give a different signal.  Same in the sim.  The body isn't actually going anywere, but full motion simulators are designed to give a very deceptively accurate feeling of flying.  It's the disconnect between the impression received and the reality that makes people with that condition sick. It may be something similar for someone who is disconnected from the controls.

A helicopter is a surprising environment for that experience, but a number of pilots report that they get sick doing aerobatics, but not if they're on the controls.  Likewise, a lot of us don't like heights, but we're okay in an aircraft.  I don't like carnival rides, but have no problem maneuvering in the aircraft.  One would think that if the body and mind handles it under one circumstance, it should in all, but this isn't the case.  

#26 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 19:54

Yeah, whenever the eyes disagree with the balance canals and other proprioception, breakfast gets expelled.

So if you get seasick, find a spot where you can see the horizon, so your eyes agree with the rest of the pitching and rolling. If you are in your cabin where the eyes say "nothing is moving" your dinner will move soon after.

#27 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 23 March 2018 - 20:10

I've been on (and slept on) boats both large and small and I don't get sea sick. I don't get sick riding on an airliner,...even in turbulance.

I love being high up, always get the highest room I can at a hotel, loved walking out on the roof of the Contemporary Hotel at night to look up at the stars (and down on the water parade) last time I as at Disney World, love walking across the Golden Gate Bridge (go right to the edge and look over) same on cruise ships!

,...my legs on the other hand, always turn to jello when I do these things, so its like I have to force them to take me out there!?

I still get sick in the back seat of a car on windy roads, but not in the font passenger seat?

I don't get sick on roller coasters,...except for Batman at Magic Mountain don't know why that one always does me in?

The human body is a strange and f*cked up thing!
  • Wally likes this
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

#28 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 28 March 2018 - 20:05

Well, positions filled.

I guess they needed two desperate lowtimers. I wonder if they'll share the same cardboard box under the same freeway overpass? One thing is for sure, there gonna run into each other a lot at the dollar store,...and wherever you get food stamps these days.

Yeah mom, after all that training and money I make $12 bucks an hour and live in a cardboard box under the freeway, but hey, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas,...along with my dignity and self respect!

,...of course the fact that they didn't even consider old butters for such a prestigious position doesn't help my ego much either!
  • TomPPL likes this

#29 TailEndCharlie

TailEndCharlie

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:03

Well, positions filled.

I guess they needed two desperate lowtimers. I wonder if they'll share the same cardboard box under the same freeway overpass? One thing is for sure, there gonna run into each other a lot at the dollar store,...and wherever you get food stamps these days.

Yeah mom, after all that training and money I make $12 bucks an hour and live in a cardboard box under the freeway, but hey, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas,...along with my dignity and self respect!

,...of course the fact that they didn't even consider old butters for such a prestigious position doesn't help my ego much either!

Or it may be a means to an end for someone with a positive attitude. They may find themselves flying an EC130 in the Canyon in short order after building some time and paying off their flight training witb that money. Then many other opportunities will present themselves.

My start in commercial aviation was an airplane job at $15/hr. By the time I left it was $50/hr. It ended up paying in the long run.

#30 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:22

My start in commercial aviation was an airplane job at $15/hr. By the time I left it was $50/hr. It ended up paying in the long run.

,...if you can survive the short run!

I've lived in my car while making "means to an end wages" it ain't fun. :(

#31 TailEndCharlie

TailEndCharlie

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:38

,...if you can survive the short run!

I've lived in my car while making "means to an end wages" it ain't fun. :(

So maybe living with mom making $12/hr will prevent the cardboard box (or car) living lifestyle for these new helo pilots. On the front end are desperate lowtimers. The back end produces pilots with more to offer future employers.

#32 takefootoff

takefootoff

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:27

So maybe living with mom making $12/hr will prevent the cardboard box (or car) living lifestyle for these new helo pilots. On the front end are desperate lowtimers. The back end produces pilots with more to offer future employers.

You should of said 'tail end' instead of 'back end.'

#33 TailEndCharlie

TailEndCharlie

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:16

You should of said 'tail end' instead of 'back end.'

Lol!!!

#34 AS350 pilot

AS350 pilot

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Company working for:Utility

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:05

I spent about two years making pretty low wages. It was one of the most fun times of my career (obviously had nothing to do with the low wages lol). Once I had a better paying tour job I paid off my loans then found a niche in the industry that pays very well. You could complain about it while someone else gets it done and moves on. I’m not advocating for low wages; however, there’s something to getting it done and moving on.

#35 TailEndCharlie

TailEndCharlie

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:09

I spent about two years making pretty low wages. It was one of the most fun times of my career (obviously had nothing to do with the low wages lol). Once I had a better paying tour job I paid off my loans then found a niche in the industry that pays very well. You could complain about it while someone else gets it done and moves on. I’m not advocating for low wages; however, there’s something to getting it done and moving on.

What is your niche?

#36 AS350 pilot

AS350 pilot

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 16:01

My niche is precious long line most of the year and fire fighting in the summer. Its very rewarding and fun work. My advice would be to do something you enjoy.....if it so happens to be something not many people do, then youre in luck!
  • TomPPL likes this

#37 TailEndCharlie

TailEndCharlie

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 16:54

My niche is precious long line most of the year and fire fighting in the summer. Its very rewarding and fun work. My advice would be to do something you enjoy.....if it so happens to be something not many people do, then youre in luck!

Amen to that! That's awesome! Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. I'm thankful every day I drive to work.
  • TomPPL likes this

#38 AS350 pilot

AS350 pilot

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 17:01

Whats your sector of the industry, TailEndCharlie?

#39 TailEndCharlie

TailEndCharlie

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 17:53

Whats your sector of the industry, TailEndCharlie?

ENG
  • AS350 pilot likes this

#40 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺

Posted 29 March 2018 - 21:30

If mom happens to live in Vegas, sure, go for it,...just don't let chicks know you still live at home.
  • TomPPL likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Content Spy

HeliHelmetsPrecisionVRForumGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200Spectrum_VRGeneral468MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_General