Guard or Active Duty?

Hello everyone,

In the past year and a half, I've been trying to get a WOFT packet ready, and I'm still struggling to do so with my PRK medical records. During this time, one CW5 who is willing to write me a LOR and has become a great mentor (current guard aviator) has told me that my state is now short on pilots and is beginning to take people off the street as 09W. He's offered a meeting with a WOSM recruiter and his BN CO. While he's told me he'd do his best to help me whether I go active duty or NG, he's done a pretty good job at selling me on the guard. I currently run my family business with my parents, who were planning on retiring soon, and were planning to either sell the company or handing the company off to another relative if I was to go the active duty route. He's explained to me that going NG will allow me to remain somewhat self employed, while managing the schedule of a military aviator. However, I had my heart set on active duty, but I'm starting to think very hard about the Guard. I was wondering if anyone here could give me any pros/cons to going NG over going AD?

Thanks everyone

• Like 1

As a prior Marine reservist I'd say only go Guard if you are happy with your civilian options. Frankly, in your position, set to inherit a family business (which will presumably afford you the flexibility of weekly guard obligations) I'd go Guard. Disclosure: I'm currently in the Guard process. That said, if you want the active lifestyle (think why you want this), Guard will probably disappoint you. If you just want to fly, Guard may, ironically, be a great option.

Everyone's perspective is different, but Guard aviators seem to being flying at least as much as active duty pilots these days, and as seen on the board morale in the big army aviation field is not at an all time high.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the reply. It's definitely something that I'm going to have to think about very intently over the next few weeks as I'm getting my paperwork together. I've also heard that guard aviators are getting just as many hours as active duty pilots right now.

Thank you again!

I met a lot of Marine Reservists who were pissed because they were talked into it by a recruiter trying to make quota. I, personally, loved the SMCR. I got a combat deployment in, was with a very competent unit, dealt with 10% of the bullshit, got to be a college student full time. The guys who had nothing much else going on and wanted to be active Marines were really not at all satisfied, especially if they missed the deployment. That's why I'd say figure out WHY you want to be active duty. If it's for benefits, pension, lifestyle, etc, than you probably won't be happy in the Guard. If you just want to fly and avoid bullshit, Guard seems to be where it's at from all I've heard. There also seem to be ample deployment opportunities, but some other members who are currently guard aviators may be able to chime in on that front.

Another consideration is Guard units will probably vary a lot unit to unit. It sounds like you already have some inroads at this unit. If you have met some of the people there, and they really like it, that's a good sign. Guard/Reserve are often a reflection of their local populations. For example a friend of mine was an infantryman from Boston in a New England based Marine Corps unit, when he moved down south for school he transferred to a unit out of Alabama. Needless to say there was a bit of a culture shock there.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Consider carefully what you want out of your career. From your post, it looks like you have a good opportunity to work in the civilian world, and I recommend that you avail yourself of that opportunity and pursue Guard aviation.

National Guard service allows for more freedom to do other things, and also gives you stability in terms of where you work. AD demands all of your (work) time and moves you around the country and beyond. The initial commitment is considerable, so be cautious.

I was selected for AD in July, and turned it down. An ARNG unit selected me for a medevac pilot position, and I'm very content with how this turned out, in large part because I have a civilian career I am very interested in continuing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for replying! Always great to hear feedback on this board. I'm going to meet the guard WOSM with my CW5 sponsor sometime in the upcoming week to see what my options are. I have another "independent" eye exam coming up also this week, so hopefully that's the last thing I need to do to move forward on my packet. Thanks again everyone!

• Like 1