Hello everyone. I’m currently finishing my first year at Virginia Military Institute. I’ve always wanted to become a warrant officer pilot. Although I enjoy VMI and participating in Army ROTC. I have no plans to commission and would like to apply for WOFT after this year. My question is, do I have a good chance of getting in without a degree? If so, when should I apply? I finish school this May. Thank You!

-GT: NONE

-SIFT: NONE

-APFT: 290

-MIL: NONE

-Civ Ed: (High School) Fishburne Military School (College) 35 credits from Virginia Military Institute GPA (2.6).

-Physical: should be good…

-LOR: Army Special Operations (Lieutenant Genearal-Ret), 160th Flight Surgeon (LT Colonel- Ret) That’s what I have for now.

• Like 1

I would say to get all your tests taken and apply as soon as possible. Most street to seat applicants that pass the recruiters battalion board get selected at the usarec level board. The last 2 they have had 100% selection for civilian applicants.

Worst thing you can do is Not apply. Worst thing they can do is to say No.

• Like 3

Nix the general officer LOR. Last time I read those were not allowed. (verify for yourself of course). To answer your questions. Yes. Now. Start now but coni

tinue with college. Most schools have a military policy that will refund and drop without penalty if your selected, same thing applies to reservists called to active duty. No stipulation is made between volunteering and being voluntold. VMI of all places should be very sympathetic to allowing you to drop in good standing to go join even on the enlisted side. So apply and if your not selected continue with school and apply until accepted. Worst case is you finish the degree and are not accepted but can apply to other branches then as well. Still better off than 98% of the planet.

• Like 2

You submit your packet when its ready. It will get seen on the next board date. Dont try to time it, just get it in. Delays can happen every step of the process and if you start off with the "i have 3 months till the next board" your setting yourself up to miss it.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

First and foremost, congratulations on completing your first year at VMI! That's a huge accomplishment, and you should be very proud. As for your question, unfortunately, it is very unlikely that you will be accepted into the Warrant Officer Flight Training (WOFT) program without a degree. You can try the salon industry. There you don't need a degree. The vast majority of applicants to the program have at least a bachelor's degree, and many have master's degrees or higher. In addition, the vast majority of applicants also have several years of experience in the military, whether as an enlisted service member or as an officer.