scout aero 3 seater helicopter

Hi all,

Most of you may have seen this already, but I just found it.

The price at the end of the page looks at least interesting but something seems to be wrong here. All information I could find say that this thing is build in Ukraine, maybe assembled here but made from US materials?

They state that the price is for a complete assembled ship ready to fly ... hard to believe or too good to be true. What am I missing here?

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

Max take-off weight of 1950 lbs with a IO-390, putting out 210 horsepower on their website. Very impressive helicopterif it indeed costs $200k. I love it when there are companies out there giving Robinson, and maybe even the entire U.S. heli manufacturing industry, a run for their money.

Is this supposed to be a kit helicopter?

Best information I could find on it is this wikipedia article in Ukranian, let it translate.

https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_SL-231

• Like 1

I sent an email asking for some more technical specs and they got back to me.

2000 hour TBO, it's an experimental category aircraft. For $200k you get the disassembled kit, requiring about 300-350 man hours to put together. Their operating costs state a $31,000 aircraft overhaul cost and the usual $30k for the engine.

They have their own modified lycoming engine as an option. A supercharged liquid cooled engine called the IOX-390LS

I sat in one a couple of years ago at OshKosh. Fairly impressive to look at. Very wide cabin,ridged rotorhead, lycoming engine (air cooled). If you look at all the videos, their manufacturing facilities look impressive as well. Not sure if anyone has actually flown one here in he US.

I found a couple of other infos and videos and all looks pretty promising. I think it's far overdue that the established manufacturers of small helicopters got some serious competitors. Only that way there will be further development and better technologies for the future. In addition that may have a positive impact on the price of such machines event though I can't really imagine that. Looking at one of the newcomers on the European market the Guimbal Gabri G2, which is way more expensive than an R22 but there might be a good reason and at least in Europe people seem to be willing to pay the price for that.

Another interesting 2 seater option on the kit helicopter market is the Dynali H3, he has his origin also in Europe (Belgium) and there he can be purchased as a certified ship (engine is Rotax 912 - 914 turbo) in the ultralight helicopter category (MTOW 450kg). There seems to be a distributor for the US market Hangar36 but other than a website not much info out there.

thanks

Chris

• 3 months later...

However, I think left-side PIC is a non-starter. I wouldn't want to have to stretch and reach across with my left hand for the radios/instruments.

To me that kills this design.

Seriously? Enstrom, Bell 47 and others have left hand PIC. You fly left handed while you change the radios with your right hand.

• Like 1

It's great that companies are bringing new light helicopters to the market.

However, I think left-side PIC is a non-starter. I wouldn't want to have to stretch and reach across with my left hand for the radios/instruments.

To me that kills this design.

Agreed, left seat PIC blows!

I have been following this helicopter as closely as possible. I was at OshKosh last week with my ship (Safari). I had the opportunity to fly the Scout along with my friend Marcello from Brazil. Marcello has much more heli time than I, but I have much more experience with piston powered ships without a governor.

I was one of 4 guys to fly the ship, I think. For those in the homebuilt world, I am pretty sure that Homer Bell flew it also. I don't think that Homer had any issues. He only hovered the ship.

The next guy up was a Russian whose day job is flying a Global Express. Although a Commercial Pilot he was not current and had very little time. He almost balled the ship up while attempting to hover. He got out and declared that there was obviously something wrong with the ship and left.

After Vladimir and his buddies from the factory went through the ship with a fine tooth comb, and found nothing wrong, Marcello and I climbed aboard. Initially we were very apprehensive and took it slowly. We hovered for about 45 minutes. I forgot to mention that Marcello hovered the previous day for probably the same amout of time.

Marcello is about 185 lbs and I am 240 dressed. It was hot out in the 90s. We had been flying my ship the day before and hovering in the grass took all of the power available in my 180hp Safari. In the Scout we were at about 85% power. Yes there is a "power meter" on the glass panel. Although there is no governor we had no trouble regulating the Rotor RPM. We actually kept the Rotor RPM in the middle of the range for most of the hovering, with no ill effects.

Local politics kept us from doing extended flight in the ship. We did make one circuit before depositing the ship near the exhibitor's tent.

My overall impression is that this is a fantastic ship. This build quality is far beyond Safari, Robinson, Schweitzer etc. It is built like a hmmmm well a Russian Helicopter. The cabin is huge, not just shoulder room but leg room also. With the middle seat out you could build a bin to hold a huge amount of luggage.

I look forward to finding out more about it, delivery, parts availability etc.

Bill

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

The Scout helicopter is parking now in New Garden airport Pa. (FAA N57). The airshow will be here August 18-19. We will fly on Sunday morning. Welcome to Airshow.

Any question please call me 949-351-1339. Vladimir. Scout Aero. Coatesville Pa. Tel 949-351-1339.

Hi Bill. Thank you for your positive post.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bill,

You seem to know a lot about the Scout first hand. For a first time builder would you recommend the Scout, Safari or Rotorway?

Thanks, George

I have been following this helicopter as closely as possible. I was at OshKosh last week with my ship (Safari). I had the opportunity to fly the Scout along with my friend Marcello from Brazil. Marcello has much more heli time than I, but I have much more experience with piston powered ships without a governor.

I was one of 4 guys to fly the ship, I think. For those in the homebuilt world, I am pretty sure that Homer Bell flew it also. I don't think that Homer had any issues. He only hovered the ship.

The next guy up was a Russian whose day job is flying a Global Express. Although a Commercial Pilot he was not current and had very little time. He almost balled the ship up while attempting to hover. He got out and declared that there was obviously something wrong with the ship and left.

After Vladimir and his buddies from the factory went through the ship with a fine tooth comb, and found nothing wrong, Marcello and I climbed aboard. Initially we were very apprehensive and took it slowly. We hovered for about 45 minutes. I forgot to mention that Marcello hovered the previous day for probably the same amout of time.

Marcello is about 185 lbs and I am 240 dressed. It was hot out in the 90s. We had been flying my ship the day before and hovering in the grass took all of the power available in my 180hp Safari. In the Scout we were at about 85% power. Yes there is a "power meter" on the glass panel. Although there is no governor we had no trouble regulating the Rotor RPM. We actually kept the Rotor RPM in the middle of the range for most of the hovering, with no ill effects.

Local politics kept us from doing extended flight in the ship. We did make one circuit before depositing the ship near the exhibitor's tent.

My overall impression is that this is a fantastic ship. This build quality is far beyond Safari, Robinson, Schweitzer etc. It is built like a hmmmm well a Russian Helicopter. The cabin is huge, not just shoulder room but leg room also. With the middle seat out you could build a bin to hold a huge amount of luggage.

I look forward to finding out more about it, delivery, parts availability etc.

Bill

Heloman I have two answers. I really like the idea behind the Scout. It is stout and seems to have plenty of power. The biggest problem is lack of fleet flight time. At Osh they were changing out the clutch drum from a cast drum to a machined one (or vice versa) there are still bugs. There is only one in the states and there is likely a communication problem with the factory (unless you are fluent in Ukrainian, Russian or Slovenian)

Even with all this I was really interested in them. Then I bought an Enstrom 480B. In the process I looked at the piston Enstroms really hard. These are in many was comparable to the Scout except that they have 1000s of fleet hours. It is the same size and you can by a really nice one for $200,000.

The Safari is a different type of helicopter. I love boring holes in the sky and just farting around in mine. It is not good for going on a trip. After two hours in the saddle it is time to do something else. I am keeping it in case I decide I don't like the 480B

I personally would not consider a Rotorway. They fly OK but the engines are good for maybe 300 hours if everything works OK. I know there is a guy in S Africa that swears by them and I think that is great but I see no advantage over the Safari other than looks. If the looks mean something then the Safari 500 is the answer. Last I checked Rotorway was again out of business.

Courses for horses.

500E I saw that ship at HEI in 2017. I will be surprised if it ever gets to production. They are making their own turbine and everything else. I'll believe it when I see it. I won't buy it however until it has a lot of time and parts distribution etc.

As you say @Discap time will tell but as I said "but you never know till you see & fly them" the concept is good it seems to be a thought through project

As you have seen one what was your overall impression.

Some major helicopter manufacturers parts supply leaves a lot to be desired it cant be much worse, over the last 5+ years we have torn our hair out.

The hours flown i totally agree with you lets see a few, the electric back up (dynastart) concept seems feasible, parts pricing could be an issue.

It would seem that someone has put a fair amount of time & money into the project I wish them luck,

They need to get on top of sales, I know someone in France has not had a response to an email enquiry

These guys are pouring money into the project. Without getting into specifics they have developed (and delivered) a Lycoming based engine with water cooled head and cylinders. The machine work and finish is fabulous. It makes a lot of power and the CHT never changes. Unlike most of the kit helis out there it is apparent that real engineers have designed this ship.

On the rigid rotor head the “spring plates” for lack of a better term are actually a stack that allows for more than one to fail and the ship keeps going. Very few casting mostly items machined from billet.

The head seems to be a bit of 500 strap pack technology with the multiple redundancy.

The lack iof castings seems to be a feature of Eastern European design same as the AK3