#21 avbug

avbug

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:40

Eric,

Understanding the requirement, and a willingness to die if necessary, to prevent the misuse of an aircraft by hijackers/terrorists is not arrogance.  Except perhaps in your world. 

In the real world, it's a professional requirement and an extreme necessity applicable to an extreme situation in which we all hope to never find ourselves.  

As for the question of what the response is to squawking 7500; this is well established and given, and everyone from student pilot on up has an obligation to know it, regardless of whether employed for a certificate holder.

#22 helonorth

helonorth

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:12

I think avbug has pretty much lost it at this point. 

• rotornut67 likes this

#23 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:08

If it looks like they're going to use it to hit something I'm just going to cut the fuel.  Voila, the target is now whatever spot of ground is 1,000 feet in front of us.  Even if the hijacker knows how to fly I've taken away his options.  If he knows how to start and take off in the bird then why didn't he just steal it?

Anyways, until it reaches that point I'm doing whatever the hijacker tells me to.  You know, to survive.  

• Wally likes this

#24 WolftalonID

WolftalonID

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Interests:Flying, helicopters, back country, archery elk hunting, wood working!
  • Company working for:Mildly experienced stick wiggler/rookie expert

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:39

So what we have learned via a public forum is Avbug has publicly admitted he is suicidal and may or may not be fit for further flight when passengers become rather demanding in nature. 

I missed the part in my last 22 days of training about the self destruct mode if hijacked...but leave that to Flight Safety, maybe they missed the Government memo to include this in the power point presentation.

I did learn though about the FAA cheat codes. These are pretty helpful in case you may have thought they meant something else.

7500, fly in formation with F-16's

7600, ATC radio silence for when you just need to have a moment of silence.

7700, Priority landing, Like TSA precheck for pilots on final

:)

Sometimes we think we know it all....only later to discover we only knew all we had learned. Never stop learning.

#25 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:46

7500, fly in formation with F-16's

:)

F-16's,...?!

HEY GUYS WAIT UP,...! :o
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#26 avbug

avbug

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 18:30

So what we have learned via a public forum is Avbug has publicly admitted he is suicidal and may or may not be fit for further flight when passengers become rather demanding in nature. 

You're not really that f*cking stupid.

Are you?

#27 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:43

Apocryphal story:
In the late eighties I was flying a gas pipeline job in the Gulf of Mexico. The story is that the zoomies came out to intercept a helicopter who then landed on one of the pipelines two manned compressor platforms. The F16s circled for a short while (which must have been challenging).
The platform personnel waited for somebody to come down from the helipad's idling unknown helicopter, but no one came down explain what was happening. The F16s left after a few minutes and the unidentified helicopter left shortly thereafter.

The flow of party supplies from Colombia had sharply diminished by this point, after the aerostats went up...

Edited by Wally, 20 April 2018 - 10:44.

• Azhigher, WolftalonID and overtorque like this

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

#28 WolftalonID

WolftalonID

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Interests:Flying, helicopters, back country, archery elk hunting, wood working!
  • Company working for:Mildly experienced stick wiggler/rookie expert

Posted Yesterday, 08:09

You're not really that f*cking stupid.

Are you?

No I am not as stupid as your statement about dieing was. Most of us would just roll the trottle to off...flights over right there, then attempt an auto to the surface. Generally hijackers themselves will freakout when you fall and your 20-30 seconds later on the ground/water..problem solved. Hands free to beat the livin crap out of who just put me and my families future in jeopardy.

If they kill me then so be that, but I go out at least biting their ankles, if not well ahead. An engine stoppage is far better than just CFIT.....

Are you so comfortable in death that you make it seem we all should be as well? What sick and twisted line of companies have you sold your soul to these last few years?

I think Bug your blinded by your own arrogance. Not one other professional pilot here thinks what you said sounded professional or of sound mind.
Sometimes we think we know it all....only later to discover we only knew all we had learned. Never stop learning.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Content Spy

NFCVRGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralHeliHelmetsPrecisionVRForumGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200Spectrum_VRGeneral468