Does blade folding lower TBO?

Blade folding kits like Paravion Technology seem to be used where hangar costs are high since you can save hangar space. The military also folds their rotor blades when in storage, especially on vessels where space is limited. I've heard some people say that doing so can lower the TBO over the rotor blade since you are exposing it to movement periodically, I suppose if it's done infrequently it would not make a big difference, but if the blades are being folded every day could that possibly lower the TBO? This seems like an interesting question.

I could see someone making an argument that this places unnecessary wear if done often.

Seems like it's no real wear on the blades at all, probably way less stress in a blade fold than one full rotation in flight.

What makes me worried though is the removal of the big bolt holding onto the blade, It's a minor consideration but that creates wear on the rotor head and the bolt, also wearing down the thread a little amount every use.

• Like 1

Seems like it's no real wear on the blades at all, probably way less stress in a blade fold than one full rotation in flight.

What makes me worried though is the removal of the big bolt holding onto the blade, It's a minor consideration but that creates wear on the rotor head and the bolt, also wearing down the thread a little amount every use.

Yeah that's what I had thought at first, until I read this guy on another forum

"My very experienced shop strongly recommened against using a folding blade kit on the B407 unless absolutely necessary. They say that frequent folding/unfolding of the blades can throw T&B off. Its not the kit itself, its the use of the kit thats the problem. OTOH, they do recommend purchasing the expandable blade bolts (which enable folding) on a new helicopter as these are much less expensive as an option on a newly manufactured helo than if installing in the field and may make the acft more appealing to a subsequent buyer who needs to fold the blades".