This is just getting ridiculous!

The Robinson liability story is a work of art.

You put out SFAR 73 to cover a big flaw in your helicopter designs through shear legal regulatory force. Those learning to fly a Cessna don't have to deal with this kind of garbage. Then you set up an insurance company in the Bahamas, somehow affiliated with the Robinson family and offer cheap insurance policies that has a clause stating that the insurance policy also protects Robinson in liability. Thus offloading some of the liability costs to the owner.

Nothing wrong with "cheaper", but yeah, cutting costs comes with a price. Its not that these cheaper helicoters are any less safe than their more expensive counterparts, its just that there are thing you can do in the more expensive ones that you can't do in the cheaper ones.

Slow down in turbulance, don't dive the nose and don't go below ETL when you're too heavy to HOGE and you'll be fine!

All these "safety notices" are just because pilots don't want to accept that they are flying a helicopter that isn't as forgiving as what they've flown before and Robinson has to keep covering every base it can to avoid the lawsuits from people who don't want to take responsibility for treating a Yugo like a Ferrari!

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with "cheaper", but yeah, cutting costs comes with a price. Its not that these cheaper helicoters are any less safe than their more expensive counterparts, its just that there are thing you can do in the more expensive ones that you can't do in the cheaper ones.

Slow down in turbulance, don't dive the nose and don't go below ETL when you're too heavy to HOGE and you'll be fine!

All these "safety notices" are just because pilots don't want to accept that they are flying a helicopter that isn't as forgiving as what they've flown before and Robinson has to keep covering every base it can to avoid the lawsuits from people who don't want to take responsibility for treating a Yugo like a Ferrari!

So it's kind of like airplanes that just aren't very forgiving in terms of what a pilot can and can't do? I have a couple friends who fly/flew fixed wing and they would constantly talk about the unforgiving nature of the Bonanza and the forgiving nature of the 172.

So it's kind of like airplanes that just aren't very forgiving in terms of what a pilot can and can't do? I have a couple friends who fly/flew fixed wing and they would constantly talk about the unforgiving nature of the Bonanza and the forgiving nature of the 172.

Your friends were idiots. There is nothing "unforgiving" about a Bonanza.

The Bonanza gained a reputation as the "fork-tailed doctor killer," along with the Cessna 210, not because they are dangerous aircraft (they're not), but because they were more expensive than most singles at the time, and they were often purchased by those with more dollars than sense and flown beyond the capability of the pilot. there is nothing "unforgiving" about either one.

There are unforgiving singles out there, but most are not flown by the typical private pilot. In cases where they are, if the pilot is up to the task, no problem. If the pilot has overstepped his experience or skill level, then he or she becomes the new poster child for the latest "fork tailed doctor killer."

• Like 1

Your friends were idiots. There is nothing "unforgiving" about a Bonanza.

The Bonanza gained a reputation as the "fork-tailed doctor killer," along with the Cessna 210, not because they are dangerous aircraft (they're not), but because they were more expensive than most singles at the time, and they were often purchased by those with more dollars than sense and flown beyond the capability of the pilot. there is nothing "unforgiving" about either one.

There are unforgiving singles out there, but most are not flown by the typical private pilot. In cases where they are, if the pilot is up to the task, no problem. If the pilot has overstepped his experience or skill level, then he or she becomes the new poster child for the latest "fork tailed doctor killer."

I'm not necessarily talking about the V-Tailed Bonanza's. I'm talking planes in general that have different flight characteristics compared to the 172. More powerful engines, different stall speeds, approach speeds, etc.....

Don't try to back-pedal now, LJS. If Avnut decrees that your friends are idiots, idiots is what they are! Period.

Personally, I like SN44. Considering that not all helicopters are flown by professionals, the notice offers some good, practical advice for new or low-time private pilots. And yeah, it all *should* have been covered by the CFI, but it doesn't hurt to put out a reminder. I say: Good job, Robinson!

• Like 1

I'm not necessarily talking about the V-Tailed Bonanza's. I'm talking planes in general that have different flight characteristics compared to the 172. More powerful engines, different stall speeds, approach speeds, etc.....

A bonanza is a bonanza, whether a V-35 or an A36. Not exactly rocket science, and they are forgiving aircraft. Approach speeds aren't much different. The Bonanza is like an old buick.