Potential Medical Waiver Issue

I took ADHD meds until I was 19 and that prevented me from joining the military when I was younger. I'm 30 now but my doc put me back on Adderall 2yrs ago, however I've read multiple articles saying the military has eased its stance on ADHD in the past few years. I've read specifically that the Army now only requires you to be off ADHD meds for at least the past 12 months but you have to show how you have done in life while off meds, either by school grades or work performance. If you were taking ADHD meds at any point during the last 3 years prior to those 12 months, you must provide medical records to MEPs before arriving. At that point your MEPs physician will look for signs of ADHD and if he's satisfied he can clear you with no waivers being needed OR he can request an eval from a psychologist and that meeting will basically determine if you get a waiver or not.

My dilemma is I spoke to an Army Recruiter recently and he said he had no idea what I was talking about and the last change involving ADHD was in 2010 and basically if you took any meds for it after your 14th birthday you're still DQ'd. Now I know this isn't accurate because even just from searching this forum I have found a few individuals who have received ADHD waivers recently.

I also found the Army's Aeromedical Checklist on ADHD and it does say waivers are possible but it's last revised date was in 2005 so I'm still not 100% clear with the Army's stance on this.

Since this is literally a make it or break it issue for me, I feel like I need to get a straight answer from someone official on this before diving too deep into this WOFT packet and end up wasting time and resources for something I medically can't qualify for.

So with that said, as a civilian who can I talk to about this? Should I contact my local MEPs? Try to find an Army Flight Surgeon? Contact someone at Ft Rucker directly? Just looking for some guidance here. Thanks!

I am certain that you can join at minimum with a waiver. I would contact a different recruiter if the one you have is unwilling to assist. For future reference they only know what you tell them.... The insinuation that they can look into your medical records is bogus. That is a violation of hipaa compliance. I am unaware if a flight surgeon will deem you qualified for flight duty since this issue is mostly likely documented now in your file but it is worth a shot. Maybe others in the medical field can advise?? Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Just for background I was a detailed recruiter for 3 years and Im now at Rucker for flight school.

1. You need to review DODI 6130.03 this is the regulation MEPS uses to process all branchs applicants, there is a section for ADD/ADHD. Next review AR 40-501 dated 2017, you will again find a section on ADD/ADHD.

2. Anything that says does not meet the standard means you are disqualified without a waiver. The guildlines for waivers only only open to Army medical personnel at HRC and are set by the service secretary. They also change A LOT.

3. The only thing your recruiter is required to do unless ordered not to by any commander (note the term commander) is send a med read to MEPS. That is where if a waiver is possible the MEPS/Army physician reviewing your records will decide if a physical is permitted or if you are disqualified, no waiver to be considered.

• Like 1

Just for background I was a detailed recruiter for 3 years and Im now at Rucker for flight school.

1. You need to review DODI 6130.03 this is the regulation MEPS uses to process all branchs applicants, there is a section for ADD/ADHD. Next review AR 40-501 dated 2017, you will again find a section on ADD/ADHD.

2. Anything that says does not meet the standard means you are disqualified without a waiver. The guildlines for waivers only only open to Army medical personnel at HRC and are set by the service secretary. They also change A LOT.

3. The only thing your recruiter is required to do unless ordered not to by any commander (note the term commander) is send a med read to MEPS. That is where if a waiver is possible the MEPS/Army physician reviewing your records will decide if a physical is permitted or if you are disqualified, no waiver to be considered.

Thanks for the info, I'll dive into this shortly.

Ok, I found both documents, however, they don't exactly match. Attached are screenshots of each. If you don't mind, in your experience which regulation tends to hold more weight?

post-64804-0-52421500-1523405680_thumb.jpg

post-64804-0-06249200-1523405681_thumb.jpg

They represent different parts of the process. The MEPS doctor uses the DoDI to decide if you can receive and pass a enlistment physical which is for all branches, if you dont meet the DoDI standards the branch, Army in this case. Will issue a go ahead for you to physical if you meet the Army standard which is outlined in the AR. If you dont meet that standard you need a determination from the Army HRC medical section that you can possibly receive a waiver. If they say no waiver does not meet standard thats the end of the line.

• Like 1

They represent different parts of the process. The MEPS doctor uses the DoDI to decide if you can receive and pass a enlistment physical which is for all branches, if you dont meet the DoDI standards the branch, Army in this case. Will issue a go ahead for you to physical if you meet the Army standard which is outlined in the AR. If you dont meet that standard you need a determination from the Army HRC medical section that you can possibly receive a waiver. If they say no waiver does not meet standard thats the end of the line.

Thank you for the clarification sir. Looks like its not the end of the line for me just yet. Long road ahead though!