The Cessna 172 of Helicopters

Bell 47 was reasonably stable, for a helicopter. But helicopters are by nature dynamically unstable, though in forward flight there is some stability in yaw.

Aeroplanes are designed to fly, and will do so, unless some dopey pilot interferes with it and makes it crash.

Helicopters are designed to crash, and will do so, if the dopey pilot forgets to fly it.

If your analogy is for a "very common" trainer, like the Cessna, it would probably be the R22, but it certainly ain't stable. Rock solid? More like eggshell fragile.

• Like 3

Isn't the Cabri G2 supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread for new pilots? Not exactly like it's super common though (yet). I've taken one lesson in an R44 an one in an R22. The R44 was significantly more comfortable to fly. That said, I'm glad the army will be picking up the rest of the tab and using something that feels a bit less like it will fall out of the sky. Sorry Butters.

Mike

• Like 1

The Enstrom F280C

Yes, but unlike the C172, these are far from ubiquitous.

​I've been flying helicopters privately for 12yrs and have flown in UK, Spain, France, South Africa, Australia and the US - I've never encountered an Enstrom except once in a static display at an expo.

​I've seen photos on the internet, but where all these Enstroms?

Yes, but unlike the C172, these are far from ubiquitous.[/size]

​I've been flying helicopters privately for 12yrs and have flown in UK, Spain, France, South Africa, Australia and the US - I've never encountered an Enstrom except once in a static display at an expo. [/size]

​I've seen photos on the internet, but where all these Enstroms?[/size]

San Carlos, California, northwest ramp, in front of a Burger King. :)