Unadulterated Awesomeness

88 pages of unadulterated awesomeness here! The March-April 2018 digital issue of #RotorcraftPro Magazine is out. Read it here: http://bit.ly/RotorcraftProMag_MarchApril2018

INSIDE THIS ISSUE: 2017-2018 U.S. Pilot Salary & Benefits Survey | Drones & Disasters | Simulation Scenario Building | Hauling the Heavy Stuff | 2018 Firefighting Update | Exec Watch - Jim Winkel, Aviation Specialties Unlimited | Meet a Rotorcraft Pro: Jim Garst | Mil2Civ Transition | Maintenance Minute | My 2 Cents Worth | Rotorcraft Checkride

Thanks for reading and be safe!!

vBRd7HGt65U553.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Lyn, just read your article about the pilot shortage (sorry, I wait for the paper copy to arrive).

Anyway, I'm glad its finally here, you all really deserve it. One question though?

If the pilot shortage is finally here, then why was the job fair at Heliexpo so small, hard to find (had to ask three people until finally finding after about twenty minutes of wandering) and only last one day?

The last time the expo was in Vegas (during a previous pilot shortage) the job fair was much easier to find, and in a much larger room,...still had the same meager employer turnout though.

I don't know, seems to me, if my industry was having trouble finding people, I'd of had a HUGE BANNER right as you walk in to the expo "WE'RE HIRING!!!", then put it in a much larger room right out front for all to see,...not tucked away in the back where you need the Goonies to help you find it!

,...but that's just me :)

If you look at the EMS sites, there are LOTS of openings... the requirements are just a bit higher than what you have I suspect.

I wouldn't apply to HEMS even if I did have the hours!

Be that as it may, if there has been one constant in my twelve or so years of peroosing the job boards, its that HEMS has AAAAAAALWAYS had TOOOOOOOOONS of openings posted,...always! Even during The Great Recession there was no slowdown in HEMS job posts!

,...so they don't count!

However, recently there does seem to be something going on. I mean (as I've mentioned in other threads) I myself (a less than thousand hour non-cfi) have found a dozen positions to apply for so far this year! Plus there has been a ton of cfi postings as well, five within this past week or so alone!

I can't recall a year thus far where there has been as many openings for low timers as this one. People do seem to be moving up, which means the people above them are going somewhere?

Anyway, it does finally seem as if a pilot shortage may be in the works (although this could just be a fluke and next year could go back to being as dull as usual) who knows?

Thing is, if the pilot shortage has arrived (as Lyn suggests) you wouldn't have known it at Heliexpo's job fair!

At HAI, I had a few friends get interviews and job offers. The jobs are out there... sometimes out there is not where one wants to take a job.

Good luck. What kind of flying are you looking for, if I may ask?

Starting to realize you didn't read my initial post here,...nor the second one?

My question here isn't, why can't I find a job, or where are the jobs?

My question to Lyn here is, if the pilot shortage IS here, then why was the job fair at Heliexpo so small and practically hidden away?

You seem to like to stir trouble, from what I read. You not seeing entry level jobs at Heliexpo does not necessarily equate to no jobs.

Be mindful that new, young, eager pilots and crew read these posts.

Conversing with you here reminds me of this old Family Guy episode!

,...or at least an even older Abbot and Costello routine.

Starting to realize you didn't read my initial post here,...nor the second one?

My question here isn't, why can't I find a job, or where are the jobs?

My question to Lyn here is, if the pilot shortage IS here, then why was the job fair at Heliexpo so small and practically hidden away?

Hi,

Sorry for my delay . . . international traveling at the moment and just getting my feet back on the ground and caught up.

I am not really qualified to answer that question. Aside from my company (Rotorcraft Pro) being a regular member of HAI, I am not a part of the management or logistical processes of how events are set up, coordinated, or promoted at Heli-Expo.

If you wish to lodge a complaint with HAI regarding the job fair at Heli-Expo, or perhaps make a suggestion, I would recommend contacting them directly. Here are the contacts . . . I would suggest starting with Dan Sweet, director of communications. https://www.rotor.org/AboutHAI/HAIStaff.aspx

• Like 1