53 replies to this topic

#41 redlightning54

redlightning54

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 13:57

As a side question, when did you get your basic date and how far off was it from when they gave it to you? Just trying to figure out what to expect as far as a ship timeline is concerned once I take my oath and everything.

#42 niner5

niner5

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 14:37

I got my basic date in March. I am not supposed to ship out until November 13th or 19th...cant remember the exact date. WOCS class begins 02/22/19.

I believe someone else on the March board received the same BCT and WOCS dates. No idea why its a 6 month wait, but hopefully you will have better luck.

#43 redlightning54

redlightning54

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 15:55

Yeah thats definitely a long wait, hoping its not that long but I guess Ill have no choice either way!

#44 zaurus

zaurus

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 17:14

niner 5

Active duty Army OCS will NOT guarantee pilot training even though you passed the Sift and flight physical UNLESS you were a previous Warrant Officer aviator. All the other military services will guarantee a commission officer (Ens/2Lt) pilot slot as you well know.

#45 Dmurray

Dmurray

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Boards, Slow Subarus
  • Company working for:United States Army, 64E

Posted 24 May 2018 - 22:55

Just wait for your basic date, my friend. You won't regret it.
  • ByteFlighter likes this

#46 StockTrader

StockTrader

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, Baseball, Helicopters
  • Company working for:CW2, US Army, 64 Driver

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:36

Do any of you know if it is possible to get a guaranteed aviation contract through OCS, prior to attending? I was accepted to WOFT, but since my basic date isn't for so long I have started to explore the idea of OCS. My recruiter doesn't seem to think so, but he has been wrong on a lot of questions I have asked him in the past.

I have a 4 year degree and meet all of the requirements to be an officer, so I am starting to think OCS would be a better fit for me. That being said, I am about to finish my PPL so it would be foolish of me to go to OCS without a guaranteed flight school slot.

I am also 22 years old, which from what I understand is traditionally the age people become 2lts. Sorry if some (or all) of this sounds naive, but I literally know 2 people in the entire military - both of whom are Marines. I understand that a lot of WOs have 4 year degrees as well, but I want to make sure that I am making the best decision for a career that will, at the very least, last about 8-9 years. 

Thanks

If you go straight to OCS there is no guarantee for any branch, to my knowledge. West Point and ROTC are the primary feeders for aviation officers. Heres what I tell everyone that wants aviation out of OCS. Between Rucker, my unit, and my time OCONUS, I have met ZERO O-grades who came from OCS. Seriously, its that rare.
  • METT-TC likes this

#47 METT-TC

METT-TC

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Retired Army...jeeps, running, peakbagging (hiking), and a bit of flying
  • Company working for:Air Methods

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:54

OCS is there to fulfill the commissioning requirement (gap) that USMA and ROTC cannot fill. Hence why its commissioning numbers flux more than the other two (easier to expand and contract it as needed). 

Aviation branch requirements are easily filled by the other two for the vast, vast majority during the branch fill process (convoluted if you ever get briefed on it, but HR gurus definitely have a statistical process). The last three previous posters' responses have it.

#48 flanker

flanker

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:50

AD Army aviation is an absolute morale killer, especially in the 25th. 10% of the job is flying. The rest is extra duties, admin, ruck marches, pt everyday, online training and whatever else higher has a hard on that doesn't already fit into a 12 hour work day. 

All my guard friends are having a blast. I think I made the wrong decision. 

• Cantankerously, cwil7280 and mike0331 like this

#49 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Freedom & 'Merica
  • Company working for:USMC Infantry, Lawyer(ish)

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:00

So as a pilot they make you come in and do group PT everyday? I get a motivational thing now and again, but that's dumb. 

I think the online training is inescapable I'm still waiting on WOCS/IERW for the guard, but I still have a bunch of AKO stuff I'm supposed to be doing. No different than when I was in the USMC and we had metric f*ck-tons of MarineNet classes to take. Don't rape people. Don't smoke bath salts. Make sure you can escape from terrorists in your hotel, etc. 

Mike

#50 amp

amp

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:34

Do any of you know if it is possible to get a guaranteed aviation contract through OCS, prior to attending? I was accepted to WOFT, but since my basic date isn't for so long I have started to explore the idea of OCS. My recruiter doesn't seem to think so, but he has been wrong on a lot of questions I have asked him in the past.

I have a 4 year degree and meet all of the requirements to be an officer, so I am starting to think OCS would be a better fit for me. That being said, I am about to finish my PPL so it would be foolish of me to go to OCS without a guaranteed flight school slot.

I am also 22 years old, which from what I understand is traditionally the age people become 2lts. Sorry if some (or all) of this sounds naive, but I literally know 2 people in the entire military - both of whom are Marines. I understand that a lot of WOs have 4 year degrees as well, but I want to make sure that I am making the best decision for a career that will, at the very least, last about 8-9 years. 

Thanks

I was able to guarantee my aviation slot through the guard because that process is very different. I went to the Aviation board which consisted of warrant candidates and officer candidates and was able to choose whether I wanted to go the warrant or commissioned route.

#51 Gr64

Gr64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:20

niner5, on 24 May 2018 - 12:28, said:snapback.png

Thanks

I went to Federal OCS as a Guard guy earlier this year and now at flight school. Only NG have guaranteed branches at OCS and I would not recommend it as an AD guy if your dead set on Aviation. We did have 2 AD people get selected aviation in a class of 130 and the class before us had a couple as well. With this being said it was stressed how rare this was and there is no guarantee that any slots will be available in the future. Good luck and your BCT date will be here before you know it!

#52 Anthony2447

Anthony2447

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Company working for:US Army

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:23

I got my basic date in March. I am not supposed to ship out until November 13th or 19th...cant remember the exact date. WOCS class begins 02/22/19.

I believe someone else on the March board received the same BCT and WOCS dates. No idea why its a 6 month wait, but hopefully you will have better luck.

The reason such a long wait for the street to seat guys is because they only do 5 seven week WOCS courses a year compared to 17 five week courses this year.

#53 Cantankerously

Cantankerously

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Flying fixed wing
  • Company working for:Green weenie

Posted 30 May 2018 - 18:13

AD Army aviation is an absolute morale killer, especially in the 25th. 10% of the job is flying. The rest is extra duties, admin, ruck marches, pt everyday, online training and whatever else higher has a hard on that doesn't already fit into a 12 hour work day. 

All my guard friends are having a blast. I think I made the wrong decision

So much truth! It's the same if not worse at Bragg. I count down the days until I get out. Best advice I can give is get a degree and fly for the air force. 

• cwil7280 likes this

#54 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Freedom & 'Merica
  • Company working for:USMC Infantry, Lawyer(ish)

Posted 30 May 2018 - 18:18

Now that they are getting rid of their tiger stripes... not much reason to avoid em. In all seriousness if looking at active duty aviation, I think I'd still prioritize Army. I loved being a Marine, but even Marine pilots I knew lamented limited flight hours that only diminished as their careers progressed. As far as the USAF guys I know, great people, but not really a "military" enough organization for me. Coming from the infantry side, wanting to continue to support the infantry, I think there is merit in being in an organization that is based around the ground combat element. Alas, I'm going Guard, so I'm pretty pumped because that seems to be the way to do it. The Guard pilots I know pretty much love it, with the usual complaints about the guard being a pain in your civilian life's ass. 

Mike

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

AMTC 2018NFCVRForum200HomeHeliHelmets-VR HomeBE_VRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200Spectrum_VRHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200Genesys VR Forum 200