Security Clearance 2018

Hey everyone. Just started my packet and took my asvab. I was wondering about the clearance process as I have read about the growing backlog on clearances. Does anyone know how long the investigation process takes nowadays to clear? I read a horror story about a recruit getting stuck in a holding company for 9 months waiting on his clearance and it freaked me out a bit.

no way to tell how fast it will happen. I've seen some that were completed in as little as 3 months and other like my re investigation that took almost 2 years! Once the SF 86 is submitted it's out of your hands and there is no way (that i know of) to get it expedited.

Just make sure you personally fill out the SF-86 and do it correctly. We had a few issues from my class where the recruiter did it and now theyve had to restart the process because it was bad info.

Then sometimes clearances seem to take forever with no reason behind it. I know a girl who is a year and a half into her investigation.

• 5 months later...

Was trying to find the most relevant Security Clearance thread, but figured I'd just ask here. Is there any way to check on the status of our security clearance as a civilian? I was selected in the July 2018 board and will be leaving for basic 1/15 with a WOCS date of 4/5. I know its not super imperative for it to be done immediately, but was just curious if there was a way to check the status at all? Any help is appreciated!

Was trying to find the most relevant Security Clearance thread, but figured I'd just ask here. Is there any way to check on the status of our security clearance as a civilian? I was selected in the July 2018 board and will be leaving for basic 1/15 with a WOCS date of 4/5. I know its not super imperative for it to be done immediately, but was just curious if there was a way to check the status at all? Any help is appreciated!

Yes its called jpas. Its very possible your recruiter has access to it. You dont have to be a security manager to get a jpas account.

However dont sweat the security clearance. The DOD is backlogged on approvals. Currently most of my Marines hitting the fleet that require a security clearance are getting interims until their clearance finishes. An interim is a jpas status that says your basic background check hasnt shown anything bad so far so you are allowed to do your job despite not having an official clearance yet.

Its safe to say the same process will be handled with wocs/flight school.

If I remember correctly from when I went you could attend WOCS with an interim clearance but would not receive your appoint to WO1 until the clearance was finalized. I’d check with your recruiter to find out the status and call or email the USAREC warrant officer recruiting team to find out if the interim will be a problem.

• Like 1

My clearance process was opened in April and the background investigation portion just closed the beginning of September. As far as I know I am still on an interim. I also was informed I can attend WOCS but not receive my appointment as a W1 (and subsequently can't start the fun stuff, SERE, primary, etc) unless I am on an actual secret clearance. I know my recruiter/WOSM was concerned about this and timing.

As was stated, someone with a JPAS account should be able to check the status.

Mike

Haven't been on in a while but figured I would chime in.

They will no longer be allowing candidates to start WOCS without a clearance (INTERIM will no longer suffice).

I was in the last 7 week class as a Street-to-Seater. In snowbird status, over 30 of us found out we did not have clearances. They rushed to get us INTERIMS so we could start WOCS. Upon completion of the course, almost 20 of us were still left without clearances. We can't attend WOCS or SERE so we're stuck under HHC. This created such a backlog of holdovers that they went back to stopping entry to the course unless you are cleared.

Haven't been on in a while but figured I would chime in.

They will no longer be allowing candidates to start WOCS without a clearance (INTERIM will no longer suffice).

I was in the last 7 week class as a Street-to-Seater. In snowbird status, over 30 of us found out we did not have clearances. They rushed to get us INTERIMS so we could start WOCS. Upon completion of the course, almost 20 of us were still left without clearances. We can't attend WOCS or SERE so we're stuck under HHC. This created such a backlog of holdovers that they went back to stopping entry to the course unless you are cleared.

What happens if for some reason you are DENIED a clearance after already completing basic? Just out of curiosity... Seems like that would be a pretty bad scenario.