Eyesight changes after acceptance?

I am currently working on my packet and about to get my flight physical done. I have a concern regarding correctable vision. My right eye is about 20/25 and left eye about 20/40. Correctable to 20/20 no problem, but I worry that my left eye may get slightly worse before the second flight physical after WOCS.

If, for instance, my eyesight comes back as 20/50 for the first test and then I go through WOCS and it comes back as 20/70, what would happen? Can that be waived at that point or is it possible to have corrective surgery and be in limbo for 3-6 months before they let you start IERW, or do they DQ you and send you to a different job immediately?

I'd hate to get through everything and then that happen, and if that is a possibility I'd rather have the surgery before I put in the packet.

Thanks for any advice!

If your eyesight degraded that much in a few months youve got bigger problems. That being said if you showed up with lasik and 20/20 and it degrades 6 months later to 20/40 i bet they would still be asking serious questions about your eyes. Dont worry about stuff you cant control. If you can get in now i would do it before they start making changes time in grade and adsos.

If youre that worried about it, look into laser corrective surgery. But keep in mind that youre usually not a candidate if your eyesight is no worse than 20/50. Your nearsightedness can degrade over time and usually doesnt stabilize until 30. With that said, Ive been told by many to not worry about it. That initial flight physical is always the hardest to get past. Ive heard of some people who on the second flight physical fail because they are actually color blind (how they got past the first FP God only knows) and the army DQs them. But otherwise, if its slightly past the requirements its easier for them to just give you glasses or write a waiver. Ive heard that they DQ people on the second FP who have something rare that keeps them from performing, something uncorrectable like color blindness, or something that they lied about on the first FP that they are DQd for moral reasons. If you decide to not get surgery now, youll have to wait until after flight school which would be two years but the army does pay for it which is sweet.

Are the follow-on flight physicals as invasive? Is it all the same testing? Not worried about failing, just a lot to get done... eye exam, EKG, etc.

Mike

Every five years you get one like that, in between they are quick and simple. Pretty much a check of your records and a quick chat with the flight doc.

Are the follow-on flight physicals as invasive? Is it all the same testing? Not worried about failing, just a lot to get done... eye exam, EKG, etc.

Mike

Invasive only if you get one specific flight doc at Rucker. All the others are a breeze.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...