60 vs. 64: Help me decide?

So I know this question has been addressed before, and I've read those topics and still am undecided so I'm hoping I can get some more input from a slightly different angle. Here's my deal: I'm really torn between 60s and 64s and I really can't decide one way or the other. I know the general advice is to choose the mission and not the airframe, but both missions genuinely interest me so that line of thinking still leaves me undecided. My airframe selection isn't until August, so I still have some time but I'm worried that I'm going to get up there on selection day and have no idea what to choose! At the risk of starting a war between the two factions, I'm hoping that some of the 60 and 64 pilots on here could give me their best "sales pitch" for their airframe and mission.

Also, when I went to visit Hanchey we were told that Apaches are understrength right now so promotion opportunities later on will potentially be better. Any validation or input on that side of the house would be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks in advance for any input!

Don’t choose based off potential promotion opportunities. If you don’t suck at your job you will be promoted regardless of airframe. You don’t need to decide on anything until the day of selection, anything prior to that will likely result in you being disappointed when the time comes and your choice isn’t an option.

• Like 1

To preface, I was a 60 maintainer and crew chief for 6.5 years prior to getting selected for Warrant. I was a SSG and held all positions relative to my job as a 15T. I graduated flight school last August and arrived at my unit in January to accommodate a child birth, receiving ALSE in the interim. I have 70ish flight hours since Ive arrived.

I was #2 in my class of UH-72A primary trained aviator Warrant officers- I chose the UH-60M. The #1 guy chose the 60M as well. I could have selected the 64D or C-12 (all available airframes), but I chose the 60. Why? Because community matters. Aircraft dependability matters. Crew coordination matters.

I dont know how aviation savvy you are, but the 64 has major issues. To such an extent that the Army has stopped receiving new 64Es from Boeing until they fix the strap pack assemblys. The aircraft has a laundry list of issues that a quick google search can enlighten you on- which I recommend you do. The community is not fun, in my opinion from the outside looking in. Its cut throat..

I chose a diverse mission set that translates to the civilian sector (S-70 rated upon graduation with the military comp exam). The list goes on- but do your own research and continue to receive feedback from other pilots. Good luck!

With regards to promotions- take a gander on HRC and view the promotion numbers for all aviation Warrant officers. As the person above alluded to, Army Aviation is under strength- period. Do your job well and youll get promoted.

The best advice I can give you is to go with your gut on what just feels right. I have zero regrets on picking the 64. I think the community is great. Everyone always rags on each other for flying the other aircraft in good fun. If you come across someone that genuwinely dislikes people based on what they fly, odds are they are an a**hole and avoid them.

Yea the promotion rates will be great coming up. But you wont be up for it for about another 7-8 years for W3. What will it be then? Who knows. Thats why id leave that out of the equation.

I just got out of selection and Ill say that you start getting a lot better idea about the airframes as you progress in primary. Especially the last 4 weeks when you start learning the mission sets. Also youll get to fly with ips that have flown everything from hueys to f117s. So you get a sense of the mindset id the airframes.

Have fun. And if you are really stressed about it just make bad grades. If you are at the bottom you dont have a choice. ;)

• Like 3

Youve got a long way to go before your selection. The best thing you can do is study hard, score well, and try to get high on the OML so you actually have an option.

And even then, you may not get what you want. Aircraft available at selection is entirely out of your control. Just do your best and roll with the punches. Youll love what ever you end up with because theyre all awesome.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for all the advice so far. I do realize that the aircraft available at selection are completely out of my control and that I may not even have a choice. However, Im just trying to prepare for the event that its my turn to select and both of these aircraft are available. When I started my packet, I had no idea what I wanted to fly. I thought maybe when I got to Rucker and talked to a lot of the pilots here that Id make up my mind. It still left me undecided. Then I thought maybe once I actually start flying that Ill make up my mind. Im through both basic rotary wing skills and instruments now, and Im still undecided! I may not have any choice at all and thats completely fine with me. Ill be more than happy flying anything (just please god not fixed wing, haha). Im just trying to prepare myself in the event I DO have a choice.

• Like 1

Yup, our community sucks, our aircraft sucks, our crew coordination sucks. You nailed it, buddy. So grateful you used your tremendous accumulation of 70 whole hours since arriving your unit to point that out, broseph.

CHOOSE THE MISSION.

To preface, I was a 60 maintainer and crew chief for 6.5 years prior to getting selected for Warrant. I was a SSG and held all positions relative to my job as a 15T. I graduated flight school last August and arrived at my unit in January to accommodate a child birth, receiving ALSE in the interim. I have 70ish flight hours since Ive arrived.

I was #2 in my class of UH-72A primary trained aviator Warrant officers- I chose the UH-60M. The #1 guy chose the 60M as well. I could have selected the 64D or C-12 (all available airframes), but I chose the 60. Why? Because community matters. Aircraft dependability matters. Crew coordination matters.

I dont know how aviation savvy you are, but the 64 has major issues. To such an extent that the Army has stopped receiving new 64Es from Boeing until they fix the strap pack assemblys. The aircraft has a laundry list of issues that a quick google search can enlighten you on- which I recommend you do. The community is not fun, in my opinion from the outside looking in. Its cut throat..

I chose a diverse mission set that translates to the civilian sector (S-70 rated upon graduation with the military comp exam). The list goes on- but do your own research and continue to receive feedback from other pilots. Good luck!

• Like 2

Yup, our community sucks, our aircraft sucks, our crew coordination sucks. You nailed it, buddy. So grateful you used your tremendous accumulation of 70 whole hours since arriving your unit to point that out, broseph.

CHOOSE THE MISSION.

The 70hr PI knows best.

The 70hr post Rucker PI that was also a CE for a LONG time (those nonrated thingys that are not left on the ramp waving "bye bye" like they do in 64 land). Sorry, it had to be said even if you have valid counter arguments about what he imagines in gun world.

As for the OP, what everyone else above said that is relevant to their respective mission. Whatever you get, OWN it.

So having been a crew chief in a different community makes him an SME? Both yours and his statements convey a lack of big picture understanding.

There are assholes in every community to be sure. But if you read through 3-04.1 and find a particular aviation function appealing, don't let anyone convince you that the community negates the appeal of the mission.

Really. Really?

"So grateful you used your tremendous accumulation of 70 whole hours since arriving your unit to point that out, broseph." Your words. Go read mine. I did not attempt to state that he is a SME on 64s (key in on the part around the work "imagines" in my post). You sure you want to say I don't understand? Anyway...

On 60s though, he is more than a "70 hour PI" as you labelled him.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for not choosing the 64.

• Like 1